Author Topic: You should have bought a Chevy Volt  (Read 3122 times)

Daemon

You should have bought a Chevy Volt
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »
So, lots of Volt batteries have been catching fire in crash testing. GM said you can borrow any GM car until the issue is resolved. Yes, ANY car.  *cough* Even Corvette.

http://jalopnik.com/5863479/yes-gm-will-loan-you-a-corvette-if-your-chevy-volt-scares-you

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: You should have bought a Chevy Volt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:36:05 PM »
Yeah, the managers here are all pissed at the way that story has been run. The crash test facilities did not follow the power-down procedure as instructed by GM to discharge the batteries, then left them stored for extended periods of time, which eventually led to a fire. Like the letter to Volt owners said, it's essentially the same as not cleaning up spilled gasoline from a broken gas tank after a crash.

Either way, good move on GM's part to face this head on. Despite the fact that I just generally loathe Toyota, I wouldn't have had an issue with their "unintended acceleration" cluster fuck if they had just said "Apparently there's a problem, we're going to do everything we can to look into it and make sure our customers are safe driving our products". Instead they were arrogant about it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:42:42 PM by 00XJ »

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
What would happen if I walked into the dealer and bought a Volt today? Would I drive off in a loaner car or the Volt. I ask since my father has been considering the Volt and I know he would like an extended test drive in a Camaro or Corvette.

Sentry

• I'm going nowhere fast...
Re: Re: You should have bought a Chevy Volt
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
Yeah, the managers here are all pissed at the way that story has been run. The crash test facilities did not follow the power-down procedure as instructed by GM to discharge the batteries, then left them stored for extended periods of time, which eventually led to a fire. Like the letter to Volt owners said, it's essentially the same as not cleaning up spilled gasoline from a broken gas tank after a crash.

Either way, good move on GM's part to face this head on. Despite the fact that I just generally loathe Toyota, I wouldn't have had an issue with their "unintended acceleration" cluster fuck if they had just said "Apparently there's a problem, we're going to do everything we can to look into it and make sure our customers are safe driving our products". Instead they were arrogant about it.
But there wasn't a problem.

Look up the latest on it. It was concluded that all cases were driver error.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

92 Aristo - Borg S366, QSV, AEM V2, 12 psi - 410whp 360ftlbs
84 SVO - FMIC, straight piped, chipped/tuned LB3, 15 psi - 202whp 238ftlbs

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »

Well technically crashing your Volt is driver error, and not discharging the battery after the collision as guided is Emergency Respondent (or Crash Test Proctor) error... :lol:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:14:21 PM by 00XJ »

Daemon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »
I think it's a smart, yet safe, move by GM.

I doubt they'll hand out too many keys to Corvettes or Camaros. Most people buying a Volt are your more eco friendly type. They will probably opt for a hybrid sedan instead of a, and I use this loosely, gas guzzling sports car.

So smart and safe.

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
Also... they should have an auto discharge in event of a crash.
Just like the fuel pump shut off inertia switches.
Bad planning on GMs part.

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »

Jim

But, discharge into what? That's a battery in the kilowatt range. Would take a couple hundred lightbulbs to discharge it.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »

>Toyota employee defending Toyota's screw ups

Never saw that that coming.
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

Sentry

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
Toyota didn't screw up anything on the vehicles.

It's ricers like you that stack 8 NOS floor mats on top of each other that cause gas pedals to get stuck. ;)

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
But, discharge into what? That's a battery in the kilowatt range. Would take a couple hundred lightbulbs to discharge it.
A small built in load box.

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

handle

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »

I was trying to make a connection between your post and what I highlighted, but then I realized it was an advertisement. LOL

Gremlin

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
What a clever PR stunt. GM will let the owner of a family car use a Corvette or a Camaro to replace their family car while some safety issues are worked out. Maybe one Volt owner in each state might take a Corvette or a Camaro, but in large the vehicle of choice will be Cruze, Malibu or Impala.

GM is just blowing blaring trumpets over this loaner car program so people will pay less attention to the real problem.

On a side note: I was issued a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 while my Freestar mini-van had some trans-axle problems at 6,000 miles. Since I ran a business with the mini-van this had to be the cruelest joke in the world. Try loading office copiers in a Mustang. I ended up using my father's S10 for two weeks while the Mustang sat in my garage.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
What a clever PR stunt. GM will let the owner of a family car use a Corvette or a Camaro to replace their family car while some safety issues are worked out. Maybe one Volt owner in each state might take a Corvette or a Camaro, but in large the vehicle of choice will be Cruze, Malibu or Impala.

GM is just blowing blaring trumpets over this loaner car program so people will pay less attention to the real problem.

On a side note: I was issued a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 while my Freestar mini-van had some trans-axle problems at 6,000 miles. Since I ran a business with the mini-van this had to be the cruelest joke in the world. Try loading office copiers in a Mustang. I ended up using my father's S10 for two weeks while the Mustang sat in my garage.

Well, first, it wasn't GM who came out an offered up the Corvette ZR1 as a loaner vehicle, they simply said "We will loan you ANY GM vehicle while we investigate", and then someone decided to ask if they really meant ANY GM vehicle.

You're reading the article based on the response, that yes, GM did mean ANY vehicle. They're not broadcasting that to everyone, so I fail to see how it's a "clever PR stunt".

It bares repeating that there is no "real problem". The car isn't flawed, and unless the emergency crew that arrives at the scene of the accident fails to follow the discharge procedure and apparently leaves the car somewhere, unattended, for THREE WEEKS, you're most likely not going to see any Volts catching fire.

I bet that if the NHTSA had never stumbled on this, nobody would have known. I can't imagine a scenario where a Volt would get trashed like that and then just left to rot. Emergency crews would have to simply not know.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:38:46 PM by 00XJ »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »

I bet that if the NHTSA had never stumbled on this, nobody would have known. I can't imagine a scenario where a Volt would get trashed like that and then just left to rot. Emergency crews would have to simply not know.

Apparently you've never seen a wrecking yard. I know for a fact that my GTI sat out back behind a shop in Imperial, MO for over four weeks when I was rear-ended last year.  You seem naive to think that this isn't a serious issue.

Sentry

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
I was trying to make a connection between your post and what I highlighted, but then I realized it was an advertisement. LOL
Tapatalk adds that in, sometimes I forget to remove it. :)

Daemon

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »
You pay them so you can advertise for them. :lol:

James

• Meh
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »

Jim

Not really comparable.  Fuel pump shutoff doesn't remove the presence of fuel if the tank is ruptured nor does it cut off all electrical circuits that could spark a fire.  There really is no load box that could dissipate the 10.4 kWh a fully charged Volt in a suitable manner over the period of time a typical accident clean up takes.

Would take a couple hundred lightbulbs to discharge it.

Take 174 60W bulbs and one hour....:mrgreen:
Four boxes protect liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Daemon

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:54 AM »
Question, and I ask this in complete ignorance, if there is a discharge procedure that can be done manually, why couldn't that be automated?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
Apparently you've never seen a wrecking yard. I know for a fact that my GTI sat out back behind a shop in Imperial, MO for over four weeks when I was rear-ended last year.  You seem naive to think that this isn't a serious issue.

Again, the emergency crews would have to ignore their protocol to discharge the batteries for a fire to happen. What about that don't you understand?

I bet your GTI wouldn't have sat for over 4 weeks with a leaking gas tank. They'd have drained the fuel, either the wrecking yard or the emergency crew that responded to the crash.

So why is the Volt problematic if a fire starts because NHTSA didn't discharge the battery... you know, like they were SUPPOSED to?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:41:58 PM by 00XJ »

Daemon

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »
Because it's very well possible that emergency personel forget during the process of saving a person's life. Maybe mistakes are made in the paper work that says it has been discharged. It sits at the garage for three weeks awaiting insurance evaluations and poof.

A line if failures like that are not only possible, but highly probably. 911 saw a near identical line if failures as did Katrina disaster relief.

I think thats what they were looking for, but I could be wrong, too.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator

Grim91Z

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 02:52:36 AM »
CTS-V is a suitable replacement for a family car. :mrgreen:
Formerly DoD.

Kwhit10

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »
I also heard on the news there is reports of the plug for the Volt melting.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
I also heard on the news there is reports of the plug for the Volt melting.

We've had the same one installed at the dealership since the Volt became available... no problems so far.