Author Topic: Computer frozen four times in two days  (Read 1806 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Computer frozen four times in two days
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »
Inconsistent freezing, but the entire PC will freeze up and I get a static hiss over the speakers. Holding the power button or pushing the reset button does not turn the PC off. I have to physically hit the switch on the PSU.

I'm leaning towards motherboard. I'm getting a handful of USB errors in my Event Viewer. No BSoD. Ran Memtest for 15 minutes, nothing. Ran Prime95 for 15 minutes, nothing.

I'm going to run Memtest overnight tonight to see what happens.

If it's the motherboard, I'm going to be pissed. Gigabyte doesn't provide advanced replacement which is a fuckton of horseshit. I don't understand how a company thinks it's okay for its customers to have a PC down for 2+ weeks for an RMA. Ridiculous. I'll probably just end up buying a new board and having the old one repaired before trying to sell it.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: Computer frozen four times in two days
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »
Kinda bizarre that it won't even hard-power down. I'd say it's gotta be the mobo.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:04:25 AM »
That's the issue that's really pushing me towards mobo. It seems that it won't communicate at all once it freezes.

Memtest ran for 8+ hours with no issues last night.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
Hmm... I can Prime95 for about 20 minutes while I ate breakfast and my third core shut down. I bumped the voltage up and I'm gonna let it run for over an hour while I'm at the gym. It's not impossible it's a CPU issue, but I don't know why it would work no problem up until two days ago.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »
Even with the upped voltage, I lost my third core after a few tests and my temps were higher than I wanted them to be. And it froze right before I stopped the test to restart and make adjustements. I dropped my clock down to 3.60Ghz from 3.80Ghz. Prime95 has been running for over an hour, temps are in the low 70s, and all four cores are still kicking.

I think I'll just work with this for a little while and see if I still experience the freezing.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »
Make sure your clocks are set to stock for CPU and RAM.

If you're overvolting the motherboard to overclock, heat on the NB may be the source of your problem.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
My RAM is running at 1600mhz right now. Before I dropped my clock, it was ~1520 if I remember correctly.

I'm not going to drop my CPU clock to stock just yet. It was perfectly stable at 3.80Ghz for 6 months or so. I'll see how 3.60Ghz goes. I had a feeling heat could be an issue when I saw how hot it was getting during Prime95, but my temps were never that high before.

BTW, any idea why certain cores pass tests faster than others in Prime95?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:38:53 AM by Kalgorn »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »

My RAM is running at 1600mhz right now. Before I dropped my clock, it was ~1520 if I remember correctly.

I'm not going to drop my CPU clock to stock just yet. It was perfectly stable at 3.80Ghz for 6 months or so. I'll see how 3.60Ghz goes. I had a feeling heat could be an issue when I saw how hot it was getting during Prime95, but my temps were never that high before.

BTW, any idea why certain cores pass tests faster than others in Prime95?

No chip is perfect and not all cores run as efficiently as others.

Drop your NB and SB voltage as low as you possibly can to retain your overclock, if you haven't already.

If you're testing components to find out why your system isn't stable, I don't know why you are testing with overclocks. Keep everything basic and simple when you're stress testing. Remove as many HDD's and optical drives as you can.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
I guess so. I just find it very odd that it was stable with no issues up until two days ago.

I'll continue to try to drop my voltage when I have some time to play with it. I let Prime95 run for 2+ hours with no issues so it should be fine now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:25:57 PM by Kalgorn »