Author Topic: 2001 Ford Taurus - No Heat  (Read 2822 times)

Gael

• Administrator
2001 Ford Taurus - No Heat
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »
Hey guys, any ideas what's going on with my wife's Taurus?  Her heater isn't working.. here's what I've troubleshooted thus far.

I can hear the blend door actuator (I think that's the name) motor moving when I turn the knob from hot to cold, and back.  However, when I turn it from hot to cold, when I kinda hear a noise as if it's sealing, or something.  I don't hear that when I turn from cold to hot.

I used my temperature gun on the hoses that go into the heater core, with the heater off, one was around 180, the other 170, with the heater running, one was 150, the other 160.

I replaced the thermostat approximately a year ago, coolant level seems fine.  One thing I notice is if I leave the fan off for a while, but keep the temperature turned to hot, if I turn the fan on, it initially blows a bit warm, then goes back to outside temperature.

I was initially thinking it was the heater core, but the temp gun reading is making me think otherwise now.
Gael

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus - No Heat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »
Is it a sealing noise or like a clicking? If its a clicking the motor is bad. I wouldn't trust a heat gun reading on heater core hoses. There should be hot water on both sides. Check them as the car heats up of pull one and see if you have flow through the core.

Gael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »
When I go from hot to cold, it sounds like a sealing noise, almost like a suction type of noise.

I'm still leaning heater core, debating if its best to just replace the core, or try the flush/backflush method.
Gael

ling427ttvette

2001 Ford Taurus - No Heat
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
Just try flushing the core, cheapest way to start. I'm leaning towards blend door issue though.

Kozy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »
Sounds like the heater core is plugged, you can check it by clamping off the by-pass hose on the firewall to see if you get some heat, but it sound like the heater core. I would back flush it first but if that does not work it will need to be replaced. Flour shift or colume shift? Either way the dash is coming loose.

I supercharged my car by turning the A/C off

Gael

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
It was the heater core, I wound up taking it to a shop, they couldn't figure out what it was easily, so I told them to start with the heater core (I didn't feel like making a mess with the coolant at my house).

Heater core was the issue, it was plugged.  They also did a coolant flush of the car, too.  Did a test last night, definitely have heat again, yay!

I shot it with my temp gun again, and the hoses were in the mid 180s that went to the heater core.
Gael

Kozy

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
Temp guns are an ineffective to test for a plugged heater core because of the by-pass hose in the heater hose assembly right before the heat core. Typically a plugged heater core will show a difference of 40 deg. F, which a good heater core should have no greater difference than 10 deg. F. But this is not true for Taurus's because of that by-pass hose, instead of coolant flowing or in this case not flowing through the core it flows through the by-pass hose and the heat radiated back through the outlet hose causing a normal reading. It is also this radiant heat that travels back into the heater core that gives you some heat when you first turn the heater on but quickly goes away because of the lack of coolant flow through the core. 

I supercharged my car by turning the A/C off