Author Topic: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid Drive  (Read 967 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid Drive
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »

I bought a Dell 14R from Best Buy a couple months ago that I got at a ridiculously good price ($350). Being a midrage laptop, Dell of course had to skimp on certain components. One of the biggest is the HDD.  From the factory it had a horribly slow 5400RPM, 500GB drive.  It is now an external movie drive attached to my WDTV HD..which is now full. :lol:

To upgrade, I was debating between an SSD and a 7200RPM HDD..then I found out about the Momentus XT.  This Seagate drive is a 7200RPM with 32mb cache, topped with 4GB of SLC flash "adaptive" memory.  The 4GB flash memory 'learns' the tasks you do most often, basically storing them in cache level so they can be accessed quickly when needed.  What this results in is a very fast HDD for normal usage, and the 4GB flash makes boot-up EXTREMELY quick.  I can boot into Win7 Pro x64 with quite a few applications installed, AND load my Firefox homepage within about 20 seconds.  My quad-core desktop running 4.4GHz with 8GB of RAM can't even come close to this.

The 500GB HDD in this unit is actually *very* good as well. Processing photos in Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5 (with 22 megapixel RAW files) is quite painless, even with a measly Core i3-380m dual core processor and 4GB RAM.

I'm very impressed with this unit.  It's the best of both worlds.  If it had 8-16GB of SLC flash, it would be *perfect*.  Highly recommend this is you're looking for a cost- and space-effective upgrade for your laptop.

Newegg has it at $160 right now, but HDD prices are absurd due to the Thai floods. I got mine for $95 about 30 days ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

10/10  dancing hamsters