Author Topic: 2008 Aprilia Tuono R Factory  (Read 3016 times)

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
2008 Aprilia Tuono R Factory
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
Picked this up about 2 weeks ago and finally got it washed and waxed.  This thing is a bit of a dream of mine since I never thought I'd be able to afford something like it.

It's pure stock with just over 3100 miles.  I can't really think of any mods to do to it since it already has built in lap timers and all weight that can be removed has been.  Maybe some noisier pipes, or if I can find one, a KTM RC8 style exhaust that's all down below with no cans, but that's it.

Stats:
990 Rotax twin, puts out 130-140hp depending on your source
Ohlins forks and rear shock, fully adjustable everything
Brembo brakes f/r
Forged aluminum wheels
Carbon fiber everything on the body, even the gas tank
Just under 440lbs wet.  This was the seller for me.  SV1000's and RC51's tip the scales at over 470lbs.  This is the lightest literbike I could find.  It's about 10lbs lighter than the standard Tuono R.

Pics:

Group shot with my other bikes and my friend's Ducati Monster

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:26:31 PM by wantahertzdonut »
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

silverc10

Re: 2008 Aprilia Tuono R Factory
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
Yeah..that's damn cool. Never seen one before, just the supersports with full fairings. I bet the little SVs seem boring now, though :lol:

Low slung exhaust or just smaller slip-ons would make it even better.

63 C10 hay hauler  - 08 350Z snowball - 07 SV650S - 78 GS550 cafe project

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
I haven't been out with it much and haven't tried opening it up, so I can't really compare it to the SV's.  And although it has double the power of the SV's, they are hardly slouches themselves.  I'd be afraid to see how fast this thing can go on a track!

They are uncommon which was part of the draw.  I could only find this one and one other for sale nationwide.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
I decided to take it to a track day and open it up a bit.  Pushing it on the street just didn't seem too smart and trying to push it wasn't all that fun.  Also got some new leathers.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:08:46 PM by wantahertzdonut »

gregariousgreg

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
I want one of those so bad.  There are 4 on craigslist in my area right now.  So tempting.

(Edit:  Not R Factory models though, I know those are much rarer.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:19:25 PM by gregariousgreg »

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
It's a very rewarding bike to own.  I don't take mine out much but it's a heap of fun to get on.

If you decide to hunt for something like this, also consider a Street Triple R.  They're similar in many ways with the STR being a bit smaller, but still has great fully adjustable suspension and brakes, and the 3cyl engines sound awesome.  They're a lot more common than any Tuono as well.  I would drop my blue SV and get one if the right deal comes along.

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
Found this on my camera still from the same track day.  I forgot I took this and thought it was a great image of the bike.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:39:48 AM by wantahertzdonut »

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »
Due to circumstances my Tuono became my track bike.  I didn't really change anything on it yet but I'm hunting for Tuono specific track plastics.  I can use an RSVR tail but I don't want a full fairing since my handlebars would interfere.  Some company in Germany made headlight cowls but they have been very spotty in getting back to me so my next option is to see if AF1 Racing has something. 

Here's a couple pics from an outing to Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV.  Not my favorite track since it had a lot of wear in the apexes of many turns and there's little to no viewing areas so my girlfriend couldn't really watch. 

This was the first time I took my van on an overnight outing.  I learned quickly that I needed to make window blackouts but I'll save that for the van membermobiles thread

But I will say the Pitbull trailer restraint system is the shit

Spotted!

wantahertzdonut

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
The engine developed a nasty grinding sound after session 5 so I called it an early day.  I had just spent the prior week inside the engine replacing a badly burned stator and addressing other headaches like poor wire routing and was in no mood to mess with it at the track.  But I did get a few photos of why Italian electrical design can suck it.  The bike has yet to reach 6000 miles.

(I finally got around to addressing the noise this past weekend.  Fortunately no metal in the oil and no signs of wear but I did find the three bolts securing the stator were loose.  I torqued them properly this time and used loctite.  After running for a short spurt with fresh oil I have not noticed any grinding noises yet.)

Stator as it came out.  Aprilia/Rotax made this bike for 2 1/2 years before they figured out the 500W was way too much power and these things would cook themselves and switched to a 375W unit.  I thought this fix was incorporated halfway through 2007 but it turns out the problem carried into 2008 and was fixed 388 units after mine was built.  Fuckers. 

These three wires run from the stator to the rest of the bike.  I needed some slack to work with them but the asshole tech that built my bike at the factory knotted them around another part of the harness that I couldn't see nor access without disassembling the whole bike.  I swore at the bike for about 2 nights before I was able to get these damn things out and discovered I had about 8" of excess wire thanks to the knot.  At least when I need to get at them again I'll be able to get at them much easier.

Old vs new.  Big difference.  Plus the bike charges.