Author Topic: Where the **** did my sound go?  (Read 2984 times)

Rammstein4Ever

Where the **** did my sound go?
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
Last night the sound on my PC worked perfectly fine. I got up this morning and was dinking around on the internet.  Nothing that required sound.  The power went out while I was using the computer, stayed out for about 30 seconds and came back on.  I turned my PC back on.  I walked away and made breakfast.  Just a few minutes ago I came back to my PC to listen to some music and nothing. I thought it was the speakers, so I switched in a different set... those didn't work either.  I tried some headphones, and those didn't work either.  I checked all the sound settings in the PC, and they all seemed fine.  When I double click on the sound icon in the tray and it will pop up, and if I'm playing something with sounds I can see the bars go up and down as if music were actually playing... but I don't hear shit!  The sound is integrated into the mobo, is it possible that's the problem? It still will recognize when something is plugged into the sound port, and if I disconnect the speakers it will show nothing is in.. do want sound!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Where the **** did my sound go?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
Have you tried both the front and rear ports?

It's possible that the power outage shorted something and killed the sound controller. You can pick up a really cheap PCI sound card on eBay if this is the case.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
Yep I tried the front... nothing.  I don't have any patience so I might just go to Staples if it's the sound card..  Doesn't even make sense to me though.  I gotta head off to work now though.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
Weird ship happens. I randomly lost the ethernet port on my old PC. I bought a cheap PCI ethernet card and it worked great.

It sucks, but thankfully, there are cheap solutions. You should be able to find a relatively cheap card at Staples as well but it won't be as cheap as eBay.

Daemon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Check the BIOS before you buy a card. I've seen on the HardForums where a power outage actually caused tge BIOS to reset some settings. Worth a shot anyways.

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
I'll have to give it a try when I get home... Store iPhones ftw

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Checked Bios, everything still enabled. So it still doesnt work.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:30:56 PM by Rammstein4Ever »

Daemon

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:23:24 AM »
It was a long shot, but worth it if it saved you money.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
You could try stripping the sound drivers and reinstalling them.

I find it odd that the sound doesn't work but you can still see the volume and the VU meter showing that audio is going through. Typically, if the sound controller fails, it will show that there is no audio device installed.

Daemon

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »
Very well possible a driver got corrupted. Power outages do some weird shit to computers.

You have checked to make sure that your sound card is till selected as the playback in sound settings?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Very well possible a driver got corrupted. Power outages do some weird shit to computers.

You have checked to make sure that your sound card is till selected as the playback in sound settings?

Also a good idea. It may have defaulted to something else from the power outage.

Daemon

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
I would also check the sound properties to make sure the master volume isn't muted.

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »

Where do I check that? It's Window's 7, haven't been able to try your suggestions yet.  I haven't been home because my grandmother passed away during the week.  The help is appreciated.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
Right-click on the little volume icon in your task bar and click "Playback Devices".

You should see something like this

If you see multiple devices, right-click on them and click "Test". If you hear sound out of one, that's the one you want.

Daemon

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »
No problem man. Sorry about your grandmother.

First, right click on the sound icon and select volume control properties. Check to make sure the All devices currently playing sound and speakers boxes are checked.

If all is well, left click on the sound icon and click on "MIXER" to bring up the mixer. Make sure all your volume sliders are to the top and that the bottom buttons do not have a little red circle with slash through it.

If that is fine, then right click>sounds>playback tab>Speaker properties then select the levels tab. Make sure all sliders are to right and all are unmuted.

While listening to music, right click sound icon>playback devices> make sure your sound card is selected as default. It will have a green check mark beside it if it is.

If none of this works, it can only be a short somewhere and you'll probably have to buy a sound card.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:38:59 PM by Daemon »

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
Picked up a card from Staples for $22. Works great... fail on my onboard 5.1 though. Oh well.

handle

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
Don't you have warranty on the motherboard? Can't you RMA that shit?

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
The mobo is about 6 months old, I thought I bought it from Newegg but it's not showing up in my past purchases and I can't find the box at the moment.