Author Topic: Signs of a failing clutch?  (Read 3142 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Signs of a failing clutch?
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
Seems like things have changed rapidly over the last two weeks.

Within the last two weeks, I noticed that I ground a gear once a trip while shifting. Couldn't figure out if it was just me being a dumb shit or not. I also thought I noticed the clutch grabbing really short but figured it might be in my head, too. Never had any slipping.

This morning, I get in the car, press the clutch, and try to start it but it does nothing. My first thought was that the battery was dead but I tried again and it fired up immediately. Now, it's a struggle to get into any gear. Reverse is pretty much out of the question -- it just grinds.

I haven't attempted to drive the car yet for obvious reasons.

I used to hear a squeak when I pushed the clutch pedal in. I heard the squeak the first time I pushed it in this morning but didn't notice it at all from that point forward. I haven't checked too thoroughly though.

Possible the pedal just needs to be adjusted?

I don't know the age of the clutch. I've owned the car since 2007. The previous owner had it for five years and said he never changed the clutch.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:35:25 PM by Kalgorn »

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

ling427ttvette

Re: Signs of a failing clutch?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »
The grinding of the gears makes me lean more towards slave cylinder, like the clutch isn't fully dis-engaging when you press the pedal.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
I would be okay with that. Looking at my repair manual, it seems like it wouldn't be terrible to get to since it's on the passenger side of the trans.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »
The reservoir is bone dry... must be leaking from somewhere. Somehow I don't have any break fluid on hand so I have to run out and grab some. I'm gonna throw some in, go for a drive, and keep an eye on it. Must be leaking somewhere.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
Ok. No driving.

The reservoir itself was bone dry but it didn't take much to fill it so it couldn't have been completely out. However, I can't get into a single gear now. The car starts without any problems.

What role does the master and slave play? You said it sounds like the slave, but could it be the master?

In any case, I ordered a slave cylinder from Advance Auto. They'll have it for me tomorrow morning so I might take a stab at it then.

A couple guys on PreludePower mentioned trying to bleed it first but I can't imagine that would be the problem if I can't get it into gear at all. Plus, pressing the clutch pedal over and over again should eventually push air out, right?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:57:53 PM by Kalgorn »

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
Quicker way would be to open the bleeder and have a buddy pump the clutch. Basically like bleeding your brakes IMO. Changed the fluid out of my 04 Nissan and did the same procedure, worked like a charm.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »
Quicker, yes. But not easier. The car is parked against a short wall in front of my apartment complex. I can only jack up one side unless I roll it away from the wall which I'll be doing if I can get an open spot that will be easy to roll into.

I also don't know exactly where the slave is. Shouldn't be hard to find though. If my documentation is an accurate exploded view, it's right at the front of the engine bay so it shouldn't be too bad:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:12:31 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
New problem now.

The old slave is definitely bad. I pulled the boot back a bit and fluid poured out of it. Okay -- easy enough. Well, I cracked the bleeder valve open to see if I can at least get some fluid through the system and it worked, but now the pedal doesn't have any pressure. It just drops to the floor. It will still push fluid through if I leave the bleeder valve open and pump the clutch, but it will never pressurize.

So, I changed the slave out and I still can't get pressure on the clutch. I've pushed a good bit of fluid through it now and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

With the bleeder valve closed, pumping the clutch pedal does nothing. It just drops to the floor.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
Fixed. Had to do a proper bleed on it. I had bled it some but not long enough. Apparently the pedal dropping to the floor is a sign of a lot of air in the line.

It was definitely the slave cylinder, but it's all good now for $45.

NovaDK13

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-maintenance/how-bleed-clutch-fluid-53198/

http://www.miata.net/garage/clutch_bleed.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-drivetrain/60319-how-bleed-your-clutch.html

I'll have to try the hose trick seams to easy to do, Ive always done it the air bleed way since I figure its a good time to take a break