Author Topic: 'BAD 55'  (Read 2792 times)

silverc10

'BAD 55'
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »
This 55 Chevy belongs to a longtime customer of my dad's shop. I did full vinyl graphics for his 55 race car a while back, and did the 'B/MP' class letters for this one.

He has quite a collection, including midyear Corvettes and a 67 Camaro, and all are immaculate inside and out. This one is built to be a late 50's/early 60's period car to a point, but updated and overbuilt in the right places to make it exceptionally clean and more pleasant to drive.

Anyway, pics, and his story about it below - pulled from a feature here

A friend of mine had this car for several years and gave up on the restoration, so I bought it. I certainly was not looking for another project and did not need it but an original Gypsy Red/Shoreline Beige 55 Bel Air hardtop is hard to turn down!

I did a frame off restoration on it with a 327, 4 speed and 55 rear end. I had it back together and was about to crank it but I made a trip to Bakersfield, Calif for the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion driving my black and white 55 Chevy (at the time it had a 408 small block in it and the most it ever got was 10 MPG with straight freeway driving but we had a blast!)  I decided I wanted something more aggressive after seeing all the gassers in at the reunion so I came home and  took the entire drive train out and put in a 396 big block, Tremec 5 speed tranny, 12 bolt Chevy rear end, changed the springs etc for the gasser look.

The 396 is an engine my son bought about 15 years ago. It was a trick NHRA stock eliminator motor with venola pistons, trick crank and more.  It had never been run so I put in a more aggressive solid lift cam, tunnel ram and two Holleys.  The rear end is a 5:38 with Moroso positraction, Mark Williams axles and with the 5 speed tremec you end up with a 3.44 final ratio which is very streetable. I hope to drive it on the street some when the mufflers are installed.

I plan to go to hit the vintage races and other car shows with it. I have driven it some on the street on back roads and it is FUN to drive!

I wanted something with an aggressive stance, aggressive look and aggressive sound.  I think I accomplished my goal!

He's taken the black and white 'FUN 55' on 6 or 7 Power Tours, with a variety of engine combos ranging from a mild 327 to a very healthy 408

63 C10 hay hauler  - 08 350Z snowball - 07 SV650S - 78 GS550 cafe project

THUMPER20X

Re: 'BAD 55'
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:20 AM »
Those are sweet. :yup:

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »
Holy thread revival.  :lol:

Also, love the classic gasser look.  Awesome car :)

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Grim91Z

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
Bad indeed.
Formerly DoD.

silverc10

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
Holy thread revival.  :lol:

Worth reviving :mrgreen:

I'll try to get some pics and maybe video of it in a few weeks, he's bringing it to a vintage race I'm taking the truck too. Not sure if he's planning on racing it or not, but it makes nice sounds either way :lol:

63 C10 hay hauler  - 08 350Z snowball - 07 SV650S - 78 GS550 cafe project