Author Topic: [Movie] Drive  (Read 10135 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
[Movie] Drive
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
The previews are quite misleading.

Drive is about a getaway driver who gets mixed into some deeper shit than he ever intended when a job goes wrong.

Ryan Gosling stars as a late twenties-early 30 something stunt driver/part time mechanics who moonlights as a getaway driver for clients set up by his boss back at the shop. He leads a simple life until he decides to help out the neighbor girl he's been eyeing when her car breaks down in a grocery store parking lot. He finds himself getting more and more involved in her and her son's lives, and though the relationship was still in the stages prior to physical contact, he was really enjoying this new life style.

That is, until the girl's husband is released from prison. A few mob grunts pay the husband a visit and leave him beaten and bloodied in the parking ramp. Ryan finds him and questions why he was attacked, and learns that the husband paid the mob protection money while he was in prison, and now they want something like 500% interest on what he owes, so they offered him to do one last heist job and when he declined, he was attacked.

The grunts also left a warning that next time they came back, they'd go after the girl and her son. Ryan obviously can't let this happen, so he agrees to help the husband by driving for him on the job.

The job is a screw-over, and Ryan finds himself in the middle of some serious shit, and tries to find a way out of it while also ensuring the safety of the girl and the boy.

-----------

There will be spoilers from here on out.

The first half of the movie is excellent. The very first getaway scene is really well done, shot mostly from inside the car and actually doesn't feature any crazy driving stunts - just some clever "act casual" moments and a few "hold on to your butts" as well.

The relationship between Ryan and the girl (I can't remember their character names!) builds interestingly, but there are a few too many moments where they just stare at each other and don't speak, and these moments are carried on a bit too long.

Things become very tense during the job with the husband and the chase scene that follows is well done but not crazy.

The scene which follows that particular car chase is the point in which the movie begins its terrible nose dive into ridiculous, completely over the top violence, gore, and apparent insanity.

I'm not sure what point the story was trying to make. It played Ryan's character out to be a nice guy who just does a dirty deed simply because he's good at driving, but then suddenly he's a brutal killer - even though he's only killing to protect himself and the girl he loves.

There's a scene in which he puts on a rubber mold that he used in one of his stunt scenes for a movie, apparently to disguise himself... but it's never explained why. He still drives the same 73 Chevelle and wears the same white jacket with a gold scorpion on the back. The next scene, he's no longer wearing the mask, but he's still going after the people who are trying to kill him.

If the movie was about a man who just needed a push to completely fly off the handle, then I guess it makes sense, but at no point during the second half of the movie does it feel like he's killing purely because he's forced to, which is how the first half of the movie set it up - that he's only doing what he's doing because there's no real choice.

Like the scene where he beats up a would-be assassin in an elevator with the girl standing right there... It's not enough that he knocks the guy out and stomps his head a few times, but he KEEPS stomping, harder and harder, until he smashes the guys jaw into pulp. The girl looks on, horrified.

For a movie advertised with car chases, and titled "Drive", you'd expect it to focus more on the getaway driving aspect, but that's basically just a set up for the fighting and killing.

One of the last scenes of the film is about a 2 minute still shot of Ryan's character, sitting in his car with his eyes open, not moving, after having been stabbed. The shot lingers for at LEAST 2 fulls minutes, before Ryan blinks, then the next scene is of him driving around the city.

---------------

Overall... 5/10. GREAT first half of the movie, my girlfriend was really getting interested in it and everyone in the theater seemed to be on board with the relationships and such, then a downward spiral which had my girlfriend squirming at the seriously unnecessary gore and the audience laughing at the absurdity of what was going on.

I'm disappointed. This movie had great potential.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:45:50 AM by 00XJ »

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: [Movie] Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
I've heard the exact opposite about the use of violence in this movie, that it was very effective, so I really want to go see this....and fucking Straw Dogs is out too...dammit....
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
I've heard the exact opposite about the use of violence in this movie, that it was very effective, so I really want to go see this....and fucking Straw Dogs is out too...dammit....

I didn't think it was effective. I mean, the violence, sure, but the detailed gore is a bit different..

The very first moment when Christina Hendricks gets her head blown up with a shotgun blast, that was in slow-mo.

I'm not squeamish or bothered by gore, but it just seemed pointless in this movie.. it wasn't trying to be funny with it, it wasn't trying to gross you out with it, it was just... there, and being glorified it seems.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
Glorified? Or realistic? There is a difference....and slow mo shotgun blast to the face sounds awesome....
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
Glorified? Or realistic? There is a difference....and slow mo shotgun blast to the face sounds awesome....

It was, but again, the first half of the movie sets it up as one thing, and then it all devolves into basically a b-movie gore-fest. As far as realistic, it's irrelevant, when you're supposed to be rooting for the good guy then he goes and smashes a guys head to mush with his foot when he's clearly already dead, and horrifies the girl he's trying to protect, it's hard to feel good about anything that happens for the rest of the movie.

Regardless, when the whole audience ends up laughing at the ridiculous nature of what's going on, that usually means the director failed to carry the audience to where he wanted them to be emotionally when the film reached its finale events.

Still, this is just MY take on it... even though I feel this way about the movie, doesn't mean you would too. You might totally love it.

1fastII

• KWEH?!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
Most of the dialogue was slow. The movie could have been over in half the time if the conversations went on at a normal pace.

camaro_man

• Instafucked
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
Sounds like it will be a good popcorn flick. The wife wants to see it as well so we may go see it this weekend.
The Original.
camaro_man
Est. 2002

All war is deception.

Grim91Z

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
Ever seen Maniac?

I REALLY want to see this movie, and I've heard that gorehounds (like myself) would love this movie.
Formerly DoD.

mopar10

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 03:30:54 AM »
I LOVED the opening scene, but not much else. It seemed like after that everyone in the theater was wondering "what the hell is this movie about" for about 20 minutes. Some of the dialoughe is the driest Ive ever heard, and the lines had huge, akward pauses in the middle (although this is not throughout the movie) No inkling of plot is detectable until the 2nd half.

It's maybe not as bad as I make it sound, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a car chase move, I got this dude stomping a guy's face in in front of his girlfrind.

Edit- what was the deal with the stock car? It looked like it was going to turn into talledega nights: serious edition, but the writers seem to have thought that would be a dumb story but left the beginning in anyways.
Quote from: LeoTheLion89
i NEVER said i changed the plugs i aint dont that i cant afford to have it looked at all i know is it is misfiring

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »
I enjoyed the entire movie. The direction was absolutely incredible -- very unique styling. The music was also very unique and added a lot to the film. Is it a driving/car chase movie? Nope. Is it a great action/drama? Hell yeah.

It reminded me a lot of Collateral. The pacing, dialogue, and camera work are all very similar IMO...and this is a good thing.

9/10.  

Flea

• Super Administrator
  • The Rookie
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but it's not what I originally thought it was going to be.  I think the long awkward pauses are fitting in the conversation; they fit the character of someone who doesn't say much... it's not that the conversations are drawn out for the purpose of lengthening the movie, it's because The Driver, I think, is supposed to have problems with emotions and intimacy.

I'd give it 8/10.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
In astrology, a scorpio is likely to have a split personality or lead two lives.

Grim91Z

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Loved it. The acting. The directing. The score. The gore. The story. All great.

10/10.
Formerly DoD.

gregariousgreg

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:19 AM »
Just got back from seeing it.  I enjoyed the hell out of it and my wife liked it too. 

I thought the violence in it wasn't glorified, but rather appropriately ugly.  They did a lot of juxtaposition of gentleness and brutality.

In astrology, a scorpio is likely to have a split personality or lead two lives.

Did you do like I did and immediately google the fable of The Scorpion and the Frog after watching it?

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 07:26:59 AM »
Yep. :lol:

MadFairlane

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Watched it... Was alright, not a huge fan... But then I'm not a huge fan of this style of movie in General.

Would I watch it again, probably not.

1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 01:45:12 AM »
Watched this move last night.  Loved it.

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
I hated it.  The awkward silences killed me.  I didn't find the story entertaining either.

0/10.

(Which is rare, I usually like movies, and am hard to disappoint.)

Grim91Z

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »
Pre-ordered.
Formerly DoD.

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I hated it.  The awkward silences killed me.  I didn't find the story entertaining either.

0/10.

(Which is rare, I usually like movies, and am hard to disappoint.)

Have you been tested for down's or ADD?

Just curious.

1fastII

• KWEH?!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
Have you been tested for down's or ADD?

Just curious.
No, I had no problem paying attention, it just sucked.

Screw-Rice

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
No, I had no problem paying attention, it just sucked.
Saw this last night. Horrible movie, not worth the $1.20 I paid.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
Saw this last night. Horrible movie, not worth the $1.20 I paid.

Horrible why?

I thought Drive was done well in *every single way* possible. The sounds, the music, the dialogue, the acting, the directing was all very good IMO.

Screw-Rice

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »
Seriously?
The music was horrible. What dialogue, there was a whole paragraph of speech for the entire movie. The pauses were far too drawn out, and made it seem like he had a learning disability.  Seems as the plot was thrown together as it progressed. Had potential the first ten minutes and then began a rapid decent.