Author Topic: [Movie] Drive  (Read 9579 times)

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
Re: [Movie] Drive
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »
nah.  It was a great movie. :yup:

Grim91Z

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:26 AM »
Around me, this is what I've noticed.

Liked it: People who are into well thought thrillers and action movies, movies that take a little thinking. People who like foreign movies (some say it had that feel).
Didn't like it: People who are into those "non-stop no plot" action movies, like everything Stone Cold is in. Squirmish people (understandable, doesn't make the movie bad.

Definitely a love/hate movie.
Formerly DoD.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
Around me, this is what I've noticed.

Liked it: People who are into well thought thrillers and action movies, movies that take a little thinking. People who like foreign movies (some say it had that feel).
Didn't like it: People who are into those "non-stop no plot" action movies, like everything Stone Cold is in. Squirmish people (understandable, doesn't make the movie bad.

Definitely a love/hate movie.

That's pretty condescending. I love movies that make you think, movies that give your brain something to chew on. This is not one of those movies. It simply contrasts extreme violence with tender moments of romance and love. There's no message here. What a man could be driven to to protect the neighbor girl he kissed once (just before smashing a guy's skull into mush)? Yeah, heard that story a million times.

The awkward silences were carried out way too long and it was simply disjointed. Some scenes were fantastic, but as a whole the movie just wasn't all that great.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
That's pretty condescending. I love movies that make you think, movies that give your brain something to chew on. This is not one of those movies. It simply contrasts extreme violence with tender moments of romance and love. There's no message here. What a man could be driven to to protect the neighbor girl he kissed once (just before smashing a guy's skull into mush)? Yeah, heard that story a million times.

The awkward silences were carried out way too long and it was simply disjointed. Some scenes were fantastic, but as a whole the movie just wasn't all that great.

This movie works on more than dialogue alone. The way the characters interact with each other in glances and touch offers just as much insight to their emotions and intentions as a drawn out conversation would. 

Is this a movie that makes you think? No. The story is straightforward and has direct and linear progression. The only characters with any depth are the Driver, Shannon, and Irene.  The movie is about the way a man will transform every fiber of his being in order to protect something that he believes in. 

You nay-sayers, how do you feel about Gosling's other critical successes like Blue Valentine or Half Nelson?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
I thought Gosling was fantastic in this role, I'm not questioning his acting abilities, I just don't feel like this movie was put together as well as some would say.

Also I don't see this as a story about how a man transforms, I see it as a story about the beast within. The driver obviously has a dark side that was kept mostly hidden until it was provoked out of him.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
He had a scorpion on his jacket for a reason...

Sarb

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
He had a scorpion on his jacket for a reason...

Because he is the frog. He would transport bad people (scorpions) and he ended up getting stung. Though the Scorpio reference made earlier is a good theory too. I guess it's all up to the viewer's interpretation.

I liked the movie, I now need to buy it so I can watch it again.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
These articles sum up the scorpion pretty well..it seems obvious this was the director's intent:
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/symbol-meaning-of-scorpion.html

Scorpio is about metamorphosis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/horoscopes/astrology/scorpio/about/

Grim91Z

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

I understand that, but that's just what I've noticed. It doesn't help that I don't work with a lot of open minded folk.

I still stand by it being a great movie, the best in a while. At least the best produced in America in a while.
Formerly DoD.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
Ryan Gosling was young Hercules, and then a sadistic murderer in Murder by Numbers. I never got any further with him then that. :lol:

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
This is the post where I admit that I was wrong in my initial impressions of this movie.

I guess there's a lot to be said about who you see a movie with and how their reaction to it affects what you take away from it - I love my girlfriend to death, but she simply can't handle depressing or disturbing movies, regardless of the meaning behind it all. Even if she understands the moral of the story, the death and murder and all of that just bothers her too much to enjoy the movie. Oh well!

It's sort of funny how I ended up watching this movie again... I randomly purchased a game called Hotline: Miami (see my review) and something in my brain clicked - "DRIVE WAS A FUCKING AWESOME MOVIE".

There is a solid link between that game and this movie, and it's quite intentional. No, the game isn't based on the movie, but it's most certainly inspired by it (and the developers even thank Drive's director in the game's credits) and somehow that game put my mind in the place it needed to be in to fully understand this movie.

So, I bought a copy of the movie and watched it, alone.

Now I understand it. Now I love it. Now it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

I was wrong.

In astrology, a scorpio is likely to have a split personality or lead two lives.

The song that plays during the opening credits, Kavinsky's "Nightcall", plays on that theme and actually foreshadows events to come.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCt1V8T3To" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCt1V8T3To</a>

"I'm giving you a night call to tell you how I feel
I want to drive you through the night, down the hills
I'm gonna tell you something you don't want to hear
I'm gonna show you where it's dark, but have no fear"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:34:04 PM by 00XJ »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 06:55:03 AM »
Refn and Gosling are putting out a new movie in a couple months as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_God_Forgives

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 12:52:10 AM »
Ehhh I guess I'm the only one that DIDN'T like this movie. The awkward silences were too forced, the Driver acted like he knew nothing of regular social norms and the dialogue for the most part was pretty forgettable. The driving and fights and violence were pretty well done but as a whole I was just like "meh". I mean it wasn't the most awful thing I've watched recently (see my Lords of Salem review) but it also just didn't DO anything for me either. Maybe I should rewatch it or something but honestly I was let down after all the hype surrounding this flick.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
It's certainly not for everyone. You really do have to appreciate Winding Refn's specific style of directing to enjoy Drive.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
Gotta be in the right frame of mind for it to work on you. As evidenced by this thread I wasn't a fan the first time around.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
I may have to give it another whirl. Mainly the awkward silences and just "What is wrong with this guy" moments with the Driver messed it up for me. Like I said, I didn't think it was awful or anything, just not for me I guess. The shooting and direction was good I will give it that...I mean like the technical part, not the acting part. I just didn't really feel sucked into The Driver's plight because he was so damn weird.

His name was Meatywand.

Grim91Z

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »
Glad you saw the light, Nick. I never get tired of watching it.
Formerly DoD.

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
Ehhh I guess I'm the only one that DIDN'T like this movie. The awkward silences were too forced, the Driver acted like he knew nothing of regular social norms and the dialogue for the most part was pretty forgettable. The driving and fights and violence were pretty well done but as a whole I was just like "meh". I mean it wasn't the most awful thing I've watched recently (see my Lords of Salem review) but it also just didn't DO anything for me either. Maybe I should rewatch it or something but honestly I was let down after all the hype surrounding this flick.

These are exactly my feelings as well.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
I was wondering if the driver was autistic or something....would explain the awesome skills, yet total lack of social skills :lol:

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
Watching it through again I kinda got the vibe from him that he was just lonely, didn't have much going on for him in life... possibly on purpose because of his violent tendencies lurking within... yet when he met the neighbor girl he wanted THAT life instead. Then it was slowly being ripped from him and he had to expose his true self in order to protect her life, yet still lose her in the process.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
Watching it again....still don't really "get it"...these awkward silences are terrible, the commentary my buddy and I are adding in certainly make it more entertaining. The cinematography is great, but again, the lack of meaningful dialogue just really kills it for me. I mean this dude doesn't have conversations....he just mumbles and stares at people...so fucking strange. I mean the dude is a bad ass...but his behavior is just too off putting for me.   

EDIT: The shotgun blast to the head and the head stomping are still bad ass...as is the hammer beating...but the journey to those scenes is rather tedious.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:17:23 AM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
I think the conversations are implied. You don't have to hear them talk to each other to know that they're falling in love over the course of an unspecified time period. I tend to think that the time they spent together was likely several months, though in the movie it appears to be a few days.

The raw emotion does most of the talking here. In the first moments together, driver and Irene have awkward silent moments like two people who aren't sure what to say because they're nervous... Then later, the silences are more like "yeah I know you want me and I want you so I'm gonna stare into your eyes  because words can't do justice to how we feel about each other".

I find that pretty effective, it was heartbreaking the way she looked at him after he stomped that dudes head in.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »
I'll agree with that, that whole elevator scene was great.

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
I also got a strong vibe of driver finally finding a reason to live outside of his very basic plane of existence (outside of his work that is) and having it ripped from him by means over which he had no control. I mean, I guess he did have control over HOW it was taken from him - either let the mob dicks kill the girl and her kid, or protect the mom and kid but expose himself as a monster in the process. Either way, he could never be happy with them.

I dunno... Like I said, something clicked in my brain after playing Hotline Miami. The stories are very different, but it put me in the right mood to "get" Drive.

You would probably really like Hotline Miami anyway, so you should totally play it.