Author Topic: AC Repair  (Read 2405 times)

Maverick

• Beast Within
AC Repair
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
My 1996 Sierra's AC wont blow cold, so I threw some R134a in. Sprang up, got cold and died off. Checked the pressure on my gun and it just kept going lower and lower as it blew until it turned off.

Shit.

So, my question is, what is the correct protocol with fixing a leaking AC? Do you have to use oil during the recharge? Do you need to 'flush' it out first?

I don't want to get blindsided by a shop.**

**Holy fucking shit. Calling around and I'm getting some insane prices. 50 bucks to inspect it, 65 to 90 bucks an hour, 35 bucks a pound for freon. Could easily translate to a 600 dollar bill.

Fuck this shit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:58:33 PM by Moon Cricket »

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
Re: AC Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:39 PM »
It is a good idea to flush, you should add some oil. You should find the leak first though.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »
Depends on where it's leaking. Fix that shit first. Might be at the compressor. Could be something as simple as a broken o-ring sealing a tube at the compressor. That's what it was in my Honda.

Granted, my compressor was totally fucked, too, and was leaking oil onto the clutch causing it to malfunction while running. :lol:

It's not cheap. I wouldn't worry about flushing anything. Fixing the leak is obviously step one. You're going to want to have the system evacuated after the leak is fixed. Takes 8 hours or so to do it properly on a vacuum system. Once evacuated, you can either fill it yourself or have them do it. I paid my mechanic to do it because I knew it would be done right. The cost of R134a through them was only about $10/lb more than if I did it myself. If they did it, I knew the shit was done right.

If you have replace the compressor, the drier should be replaced with it.

Look for a coupon in a local Clipper magazine or something to get the A/C system checked for free. Thankfully, my mechanic doesn't charge for quick diagnostic shit like that. I took the car to him, he did a little looking around, and he told me what I needed to do to have it fixed.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
8 hours to suck it down? Every shop I ever worked at had a machine that would do it in like 20 minutes.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Yeah, it can be done quickly but from what I've read, it should be done as long as possible to guarantee that it's completely evacuated.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »
Yeah. Usually there would be a tiny bit left in it. Thats why we'd always flush them before putting back together if there was a major failure. Maybe I'll fix mine this year.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
I'd do your research, then head to another shop with knowledge in mind so they don't feel like "heh this guy has NO idea, let's rape him"

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:34 PM »
Im sorry, I felt like you guys could read my mind since I thought that repairs will naturally have to happen. Should have been more clear.

This video really taught me a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeqhOqK1TNA

I guess AC repair is really no joke and has a lot of work involved.

Thanks for the input, Kalgorn.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
A/c repair is actually pretty easy, providing you have the tools.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
If the compressors shot, get the system flushed. Don't chance it. Of course, any good mechanic should just do it.. why take the chance of a piece of metal from the old compressor ruining the new one? Make sure and replace the orifice tube as well, they cost a couple bucks for a normal one and are a pretty important little piece.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:32:20 PM »
If the compressors shot, get the system flushed. Don't chance it. Of course, any good mechanic should just do it.. why take the chance of a piece of metal from the old compressor ruining the new one? Make sure and replace the orifice tube as well, they cost a couple bucks for a normal one and are a pretty important little piece.

Depends on what's wrong with the compressor. If the compressor doesn't turn on anymore and it's not electrical, then flush that shit. In my case, the compressor was leaking refrigerant oil onto the clutch.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 11:33:11 PM »
A/c repair is actually pretty easy, providing you have the tools.

Problem is, the tools will cost you about 1-2 thousand dollars. Or 3-4 thousand if you opt for a recovery/recharge machine.

A/C work isn't hard, but the real cost is in the tools. Refrigerant is around $8-11 per 12oz can. Much more if you buy a 30 or 50lb canister.
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »
You have to buy oil as well.