Author Topic: Parents computer FUBAR  (Read 1935 times)

Dewman

• Global Moderator
Parents computer FUBAR
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
I guess my dad was using the computer today and the screen went black. On startup it goes directly to the startup repair. After scanning it comes up with a "StartupRepairOffline" error and is not able to repair. I ran memory diagnostic which found nothing. After some digging i found a x64 repair disk. I booted from the disk and tryed the same startup repair and get "no problem detected" but yet if i try to boot normally it goes back into startup repair and again and i get the startuprepairoffline again.  >:(

handle

Re: Parents computer FUBAR
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
Dude, post some more information. OS, PC brand/model, etc.

Daemon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
Sounds like a corrupt registry to me. Have you tried to roll back to an earlier restore point?

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
windows 7 x64 dell dont know exact model but its an inspiron

Tried to roll back and it does its thing but still boots up in system restore mode.
Cant run a chkdsk because it says the volume is locked
run  sfc/scan now but it tells me there is a repair in progress that will start on the next startup but nothing
run dism.exe /image:c:\ ...... to try to stop and revert any pending actions but it does not work
Checked the startup repair details and windows tells me something like "root problem unidentified"
I think my only course of action is mount the drive as a slave on my machine and pull everything off then reinstall windows 7. But first i have to order it because my parents have no idea where they put their copy they got from dell. 

UberWasser

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
Any chance they never had a disc? Some dells have a recovery partition instead.

If they definitely had a Windows install disc and lost it, consider requesting a replacement from Dell. As long as you can find your serial # somewhere, anywhere, they will probably be amenable to that.

Daemon

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
Might be a bad hdd too. Those are the only two things I can think of that te repair utility wouldn't immediately recognoze.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
it did come with a disk, the computer was bought right around the time win 7 came out. Dell shipped the comp with vista but a few weeks later sent a windows 7 upgrade disk for free.

Daemon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
Take out the hdd and see if you can salvage any files, then reformat and reinstall windows.

handle

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
If you are planning on reinstalling and don't have the disk, then follow these diretions:
Update the BIOS to the latest version (so you can have an SLIC 2.1 table to activate Windows 7)
Download a copy of Windows from Digital River
Install Windows without a key
Insert OEM-SLP key and Dell certificate after you are done installing

I would post more info but mods might delete my post (PM me)