Winner?

General Motors
5 (41.7%)
Ford
2 (16.7%)
Chrysler
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Big 3 Battle: 70's  (Read 4807 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Big 3 Battle: 70's
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
The era in which muscle cars were neutered and Japanese small cars began to take over the market, leaving Domestic companies struggling to capture some of the magic of small cars like the Civic and Corolla.

The first 2 or 3 years of the 70's gave us some of the best muscle cars ever. The 1970 Chevelle 454SS and the 1970 Hemi Cuda 440, for example. Legendary cars in their own right.

The mid 70's gave us cars that were forced to adhere to strict safety and fuel mileage/emissions regulations, resulting in overweight, under powered cars that often times looks extremely awkward.

GM wins this era for me. Despite their looks, some of their smog era cars were still built well and held up to miles upon miles of wear and tear just fine. The 77 Oldsmobile Cutlass was the best selling American car that year, and helped Oldsmobile achieve over 1 million sales that same year. Even while going after the small car market and coming up with things like the Chevette and Vega, GM still had the guts to put big blocks in some of their cars - even if they were choked - seemingly knowing that gear heads would find ways to bring those engines back to their potential.

Gremlin

Re: Big 3 Battle: 70's
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »
Add a forth option for the AMX. It was a proper muscle car, even though beige was a color option.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/Car_of_the_Week_1970_AMC_AMX/

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
AMC - Not one of the big 3...

By that same theory, DMC was missing from the 80's battle...

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »

Except that AMC has impacted the Domestic market more than DMC has...
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »

Again, save for the fact that AMC actually had a bit of a role in the American car market besides "stupid underpowered stainless steel shit that's only popular or even recognized as anything but a failure because it was in a silly movie trilogy"

AMC was #4 for decades, and still has a legacy in manufacturing today. DMC was barely around for a few years and was run by a cocaine smuggler who died of a stroke.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:46:09 PM by revolt015 »

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Mick

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:38:49 AM »
Although the 70' Chevelle is one of my favorite cars of all time, the 1970 Challenger is my favorite car of all time, so I have to go with dodge for that.

Also, want mine in a nice blue with the 340 and a 8-71 or 6-71 blower on it.  With a good suspension and a 6spd trans.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »

Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"