Author Topic: upgrade or build new?  (Read 11749 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: upgrade or build new?
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
well fuck, went to purchase the combo today... and the 2500k is no longer in stock so i am screwed. I am going to call see if they know when they will get it back in.

They'll probably still let you order it and just backorder the 2500k until it comes in stock (most likely this week).

Gauss

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
You must not leave your pc on for very long. Mineral oil has a low thermal conductivity, meaning it doesn't transfer heat all that well. I think it's ratio is .138. Then you are asking it to transfer heat to a medium with an even lower thermal conductivity, air, around .025.

The only reason I can think of that you are not experiencing heat saturation of the oil is because you don't leave it on long enough. Let it fold for 12 hrs straight and you would come back to a critical heat problem.

Keep this in mind if you ever get the idea to leave it running doing tasks such as f@h.

Edit:

Just to kinda show you what I'm talking about. Water has a thermal conductivity of .6. To cool the cpu, video card, ram, and north/south bridges, you would need 2 120mm×3 radiators. I'm sure you know the purpose of the fins on a radiator is to increase the cooling surface area without actually increasing the size.

With all that surface area, it still requires the use of fans to adequately cool the water after it's removed heat from the above mentioned water blocks. I would be very skeptical of the ability of mineral oil to dump enough heat to maintain an adequate temp on the pc for more than 8-12 hrs using surface area alone. Well, unless you have this thing in a 50+ gallon tank,that is.
I routinely leave it running CUDA-based rainbow hash cracking utilities for days at a time.  Maybe it's the volume of my oil?  The tank is rather large.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2012, 06:05:55 PM »
wouldnt let me order without the 2500k for the bundle price. But i dont know what i did but i was able to just now order everything without it kicking out the processor.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
At the bundle price?

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
when you buy the combo you get a little extra off

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
well newegg split my order into 3 parts, the processor, the case, and everything else. From there they went on to cancel the order for the processor while still shipping out the rest of the combo. The combo discount was taken from the processor order so i thought i was screwed. After being on the phone with customer service they put a note in my account when i reorder the 2500k that is in stock the price will be 180 instead of the 220.

Also on my 2nd order of the 2500k i added this onto the order:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u580195t0f0fp67420dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16835103065
Looking more into it i may start toying with a little bit of overclocking.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
Fantastic cooler. You should be able to hit 4.4Ghz, maybe 4.6Ghz, stable with that cooler.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Daemon

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:54 AM »
Dollar for dollar, there is no better cooler on the market! Oh sure, some of the more expensive ones might keep it a smidgen colder, but the difference is insignificant while the price difference isn't quite so!

Great choice! Definetely hit 4.4 stable and maybe 4.6. In all honesty, if you can pull 4.5, be happy. Everything past that point is just bragging rights!

Enjoy.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
well everything but the processor and the cooler showed up today. I couldn't wait for processor so i put the whole thing together. Wish me luck this is my first build. I am slightly confused on my case fans the one on the front and the top of the case. There is no small connector that connect to the MB only the molex power connectors, also both fans have a male and female molex connector and i am not sure if i need to connect both or only one

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
You don't need to connect the fans to your motherboard. The only advantage to mobo connection is that your mobo can control the fan speed. With molex, it's consistent power so the fans run full speed.

The reason the fans have a male and female connector is, since they don't use much power, you don't lose a molex spot. You can plug something else into the female connector to power it.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Gauss

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
You don't need to connect the fans to your motherboard. The only advantage to mobo connection is that your mobo can control the fan speed. With molex, it's consistent power so the fans run full speed.

The reason the fans have a male and female connector is, since they don't use much power, you don't lose a molex spot. You can plug something else into the female connector to power it.

Agreed, if you have 4pin molex connectors on the fans just use those.  CPU fan absolutely must go into your mobo though, it has an extra pin for fan speed and the mobo will flip out on startup if it thinks there is no CPU fan.  I've only ever once seen a CPU fan with a molex option though.  No idea why they bothered.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
since i have had the computer for a bit i think its time to rice it out :)
Replacing the top and front fans with these
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:38:49 PM by Dewman »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
You will get tired of them very quickly.

angelis83lt

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
I agree with hamp. You will definitely get tired of lighted fans. I had one on my computer and it got old quickly. Now Mine has absolutely no light coming from it except for the power light. so much nicer.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
Mine has a blue LED fan in the front that gets annoying when I've got the lights off in my office.

quantum

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
CPU fan absolutely must go into your mobo though, it has an extra pin for fan speed and the mobo will flip out on startup if it thinks there is no CPU fan.

There is a setting in BIOS to disable fan failure monitoring. I'm currently running my system without a fan because the my shitty AC7 Fan failed. The rear case fan is only about 1/2" from the heat sink and keeps it cool enough for every day use. I actually plan on getting the Hyper 212 when I have a little extra cash.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
they are in and i can tell you right now they wont bother me, the are dimmer then the blue fans that came with the case. Even in the dark the light is barely visible.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
I already changed it..... For some reason the new fan when in the top position vibrates and is just lound enough the be annoying. I switched the fan back to the stock one on the top but replaced the back with the new green one and the problem stopped.