Author Topic: Government going after google  (Read 995 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Government going after google
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
Anyone want to bet that this is due to Google's stance on the net and keeping it free?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2011-06-24-google-antitrust-probe_n.htm

Sharp

Re: Government going after google
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »
I'll take that bet with you...

However, the article makes the whole deal sound retarded. They're launching an anti-trust probe because... ? When you use Google's main product (search engine) to search for places, it pops up with ads from another one of Google's products (Google Places) and not ads from a competitor?

And this:
The search engines for Microsoft and Yahoo also sometimes feature their own services in search results. The big difference: Google processes about two-thirds of all search requests in the U.S. and handles an even larger volume of advertising. Microsoft's Bing and Yahoo combined have less than 30 percent of the market.

So why is it ok for them to do it, but not Google?

If Google were pushing it's ads into OTHER search engines, like Bing or Yahoo, I could see a problem. But since someone CHOSE to use Google, what's the big deal if Google doesn't say "We know you like us, but here are some of our competitors you should use instead..."?

That said, Google is also pretty widespread. I've heard they're even thinking of buying record labels and such, so on the other hand, it's not too surprising that the govt is interested. I'd just have guessed for other reasons...