Author Topic: AS5 is complete rubbish  (Read 1738 times)

Daemon

AS5 is complete rubbish
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »
http://skinneelabs.com/as5-asc-asc2-review/

Then thereís Arctic Silver 5, the most popular and most acclaimed paste on the market.  And itís basically rubbish. In no metric is it better than MX-2, on average itís over 2C worse than MX-2 and costs twice as much. MX-2, while it is great overall, isnít even a great performing paste (itís the baseline for good performance) and AS5 is far behind it.

For those that don't know, Skinnee is a highly regarded member of the water cooling community. He is the go to source for unbiased reviews on products. Skinnee was a student of Martin, a true god in the world of water cooling.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:17:04 PM by Daemon »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: AS5 is complete rubbish
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
Don't thermal compounds perform differently if you're air or water cooling? Is Arctic Silver 5 better for air cooling, but not water?

I just recently changed my grease out for Masscool Shin-Etsu based on a recommendation. Dropped my temps a few degrees.

EDIT: I haven't read the article though. I'm just basing what I said on you mentioning he's highly regarded in the water-cooling community.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:17:01 PM by Kalgorn »

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I swiched from AS5 to OCZ Freeze Extreme and got a 3-4*C drop at idle, 5-7*C drop under load with my Phenom II. Was about half the price of AS5.

Daemon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »
I would imagine grease works the same either way. All it does is help transfer heat from the cpu to the heatblock of whatever you are using. How the heat is carried away after that shouldn't matter, I wouldn't think.

I switched to Indigo Xtreme for my water cooled rig. Expensive and cab be difficult to use, but no arguing the outcome. Since I don't change out my block very often, it's worth it to me.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
From what I've read, Masscool Shin-Etsu is supposed to be the best paste for air-cooled devices, but not water-cooled. I don't know why that is.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Daemon

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
Sounds like marketing hype to me. The temperature range between the two types of cooling are nearly identical. All the paste is doing is filling in micro holes in the heatsink and chip because the paste is many times more effective at transferring heat as the air in those pockets would be. Not as good as metal to metal, which isn't possible because of the flaws from the manufacturing process, but it's much better than air pockets.

That being said, once the heat goes from chip-paste-heatsink, the paste is done and how the heat is dissipated is irrelevant to how the paste did it's job.

The only way I can see any problems would be going cold via tec, dice, phase change, or ln2. Then there could be problems depending on the paste in question.