Author Topic: Just bought a tablet.  (Read 2878 times)

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
Just bought a tablet.
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »
Dell streak. Havent had it long but its pretty cool. All I really used my net book for was the net and this does that better. Plus I killed the eee again. Its like a giant android phone.
 :yup:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Just bought a tablet.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
A buddy of mine has the Viewsonic gTablet. Seems nice, but I don't think I'd have much of a use for one. I have an Android phone so it seems worthless to me to have an electronic that is basically a larger Android phone that can't make calls unless, of course, you get a plan for it from a cell company. That seems even dumber.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »
I havent seen an android phone strong enough to survive in my environment. My rugby works damn good though.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
A buddy of mine has the Viewsonic gTablet. Seems nice, but I don't think I'd have much of a use for one. I have an Android phone so it seems worthless to me to have an electronic that is basically a larger Android phone that can't make calls unless, of course, you get a plan for it from a cell company. That seems even dumber.

Web browsing on a tablet is worlds better than on a phone. That's usually why people buy tablets.. They take the place of laptops which, in comparison, feel downright unwieldy in most situations.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
I guess. I just don't do a whole lot browsing on my phone. A little bit of AR, but that's it. If I were on the road quite a bit and wanted something portable, I would definitely get a laptop. More versatility.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »
I guess. I just don't do a whole lot browsing on my phone. A little bit of AR, but that's it. If I were on the road quite a bit and wanted something portable, I would definitely get a laptop. More versatility.

How is it more versatile?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »
You can install whatever program you want, has a keyboard, touchpad (can plug in a mouse if you're somewhere you can sit it down), watch a movie with the DVD (maybe BD-ROM) drive, etc.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »
How is it more versatile?

It has the power to actually complete tasks.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »
I'm going to agree here, I'd much rather have a laptop. Especially for being out on the go and traveling. I've never really had a chance to use a tablet, they seem like they are cool but I'm not sure I would ever actually have a need for one.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:53 AM »
You guys are forgetting that these Android machines are only the current trend in tablets. Big ones with full keyboards and touchpads and swiveling screens and optical drives and Windows have been around for years. The lightweight Android ones are intended for audiences similar to those interested in netbooks.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:03 AM »
I have no tasks to complete, for me its awesome. It also loads web pages faster than my netbook did. All I need it for is internets. It has flash so it does pretty much all I need it to do. It has a 5mp camera and a webcam. I needed a new camera anyhow, havent had one in years.

454ss

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:00:58 AM »
Tablets are good for portable entertainment consumption.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
You guys are forgetting that these Android machines are only the current trend in tablets. Big ones with full keyboards and touchpads and swiveling screens and optical drives and Windows have been around for years. The lightweight Android ones are intended for audiences similar to those interested in netbooks.

You've just described a notebook/netbook with a touch screen.

I have no tasks to complete, for me its awesome. It also loads web pages faster than my netbook did. All I need it for is internets. It has flash so it does pretty much all I need it to do. It has a 5mp camera and a webcam. I needed a new camera anyhow, havent had one in years.

If your tablet is loading web pages faster than your netbook, either your netbook is running like shit or your tablet isn't loading everything on the page in order to make it faster. And the 5mp camera on a tablet will never compare to even a cheaper digital camera.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
Im pretty sure this tablet is dual core. My netbook isnt.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
Processor speed has little to do with it in modern technology. Your download speed is the most important aspect for how quickly pages load.

angelis83lt

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
Processor speed has little to do with it in modern technology. Your download speed is the most important aspect for how quickly pages load.

That and they are probably using two completely different CPU architectures. They are nice if you want a want a narrow purpose device. Myself, I would rather have a device that can do several different things if needed. even if it only did one of those things the most. Hence why I would buy a laptop long before a tablet. (Especially considering the costs of some of them compared to Laptops.)