Author Topic: Computer ideas.  (Read 1958 times)

cfkingfish

Computer ideas.
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
My Toshiba is taking a crap on me, and some dude still wants to pay me $200 for it even though the hard drive is overheating, and the battery doesn't hold a charge long. I paid $600 for it new around Xmas 2008. I am going to get a comp tonight at Best Buy, I just don't know what is the best bang for the dollar. I don't know much about computers, but I am guessing the dual core processors are better? What about Intel Pentium Dual versus the i3, i5, etc? I use it for everything but gaming, I just want something that won't bog down under like 10 pages open. And I am not paying $1500 for a Mac, but I will pay about half that for a good PC. What is with these Rain computers?

I am posting from my Logitech Revue and like it but I need something I can move around.
Christian

2014 Hyundai Elantra
Previous vehicles:
2002 Mustang GT
2012 Hyundai Veloster
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Resident Plant Expert, Poker player, and DJ

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
Re: Computer ideas.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
I was told to behave, so I'm not going to mention that there is a forum for computer tech :lol:

Dual-core seems to be the norm nowadays.  My laptop is a AMD M300 Dual with 4GB of RAM, and I've done video editing without issue.  Chances are whatever you get will serve your purpose well.

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

AirForceOne

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
Commodore 64.  ;D

quantum

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »
Rain computers seem to be set up to get the most out of media editing, so if you aren't looking to get every ounce of processing power out in that direction there is no need to waste the money.

Something like this would be more than overkill for 10 pages of internet...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214190

Kozy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »

I supercharged my car by turning the A/C off

GooneyBird

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
Hard drive overheating? Do share.
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
Get an Alienwaredell.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
Comp tech...

And I wouldn't go anywhere near Best Buy or any other retail store to buy a PC. Purchase from the intrawebs. Read reviews. If you're not in a huge hurry, you can keep an eye out for a good deal. Check the Slickdeals front page at least once a day and watch for a nice laptop to pop up. Post it on here, read reviews, and check comments in the Slickdeals forum thread about it to see if it's any good.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angelis83lt

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
A quick one to answer your question

What about Intel Pentium Dual versus the i3, i5, etc?

The Intel Pentium Dual is 2 tech generations behind now.  The I3 is a Dual Core Intel chip that basically replaced the pentium core2dual.  So overall the I3 is a better processor. The I5 is a quad core CPU. Most people never need more than an I5 CPU for day to day putzing.

In the talking of i3/i5/i7 however there is also the new sandy bridge architecture which brought some more features on the CPU. So the SB CPU's are better than the original i3/i5/i7.

However if you are not going to be playing games, save yourself some coin and go for an AMD system. If you can wait it out another week or so, AMD will be releasing their new CPU's.  At which point we will finally get some true comparisons between performance between the two newest CPU's, as well as actual prices.  but generally, an AMD system is less, and gives the same overall experience for a person who is not doing heavy gaming, or audio/video/graphic processing.  That may change once the new chips hit, no one knows.

Daemon

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »
Hey man go to rjtech.com and spec you one out. Just goofing around I specced out a clevo with:

Clevo W251HPQ Notebook Computer, 15.6" LCD, nVidia GT 520M 1GB DDR3, Optimus Technology

Cpu: I5 2410m 2.30 ghz
Gpu Nvidia GT 520m
500 gb 7200 rpm hdd
2x2gb (4gb) ddr3 1333 memory
Win 7 home premium 64

$824

I also suggest replacing thermal paste on the cpu and gpu of any laptop you get. Rjtech will do it for you, though they do charge. $10 for arctic silver 5. Its dated now, but still decent. Or IC Diamond which is much better for $20. This will directly effect how cool your cpu/gpu run.

Another great option with using this site is the complete lack of bloatware, minus what comes with win 7.

Edit: Stay away from big box chain consumer laptops. This includes the lower price dells, hp, and toshiba. Satellites are complete junk and have a well known history for faulty parts. Their customer service is a pain, and you'll beat yourself silly if you have to deal with it.

Hp and dell are a little better on the customer service side, but they still use some really cheap components. This is especially true when it comes to the motherboard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:36:11 AM by Daemon »