Author Topic: Buying a laptop soon... should I wait for the AMD Llano?  (Read 1217 times)

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
Buying a laptop soon... should I wait for the AMD Llano?
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
Looking to buy laptop by August for school... after 2 system boards (on HP's dime) my old laptop is toast again. I was originally looking at Dells since the old HP really put me off, but while researching the intel sandy bridge I found THIS article on HP's plans to release A-series powered laptops at a decent price. The whole APU idea seems pretty intriguing. Should I wait?

My range is ~$500-700.

I do multitask quite a bit... on my old laptop processing RAW images was a painfully slow process on prevented me from doing anything else but waiting. That was with an older AMD dual core w/ Vista on 2gigs of ram though.

I know I won't be able to do much gaming with most laptops in my price range now, but the AMD sounds promising in that category. I at least want to play HL2 at a decent framerate.  :lol:

Otherwise I don't have any dead-set requirements.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: Buying a laptop soon... should I wait for the AMD Llano?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:29:18 PM »
In that price range I'd look for an intel core i5 with 4gb+ RAM.

I've found out recently that RAM matters a LOT when processing big RAW files. See me thread here:
http://anti-rice.com/smf/index.php?topic=4587.0

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »
Well, I went with a Lenovo Y560 for $699 shipped... posting from it now... love it!
Build quality is really nice... I've been so used to HP's and Dells mediocre quality. It is last year model (Built in September '10) which helped the price a little.

i5 460m, 4gb ram, 500gb HDD & a 32gb mSATA SSD, ATI Radeon Mobility 5730 but you can switch to integrated graphics to save power, Blu-ray drive. Runs really quiet.

Just gone done installing CS4 Design Premium on the SSD.... holy shitballs the launch time is incredible. Haven't tried RAW processing yet... still trying to get all my fonts, actions, brushes, etc. sorted out.

Haven't tried any games yet... it should be able to handle anything I want to do fairly well.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:49 PM »
Great price with it being bundled with a SSD + spare drive. i5-460m is a little underpowered, but it'll do.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS