Author Topic: For Photo Editing: More cores or More RAM?...and other things.  (Read 2113 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
I've currently got a Phenom II 555BE that I'm running around 3.7GHz and it's very stable and runs cool. This processor will not unlock extra cores with any remote sense of stability. With my new camera, I've noticed some slowdowns in Lightroom and Photoshop due to the increased file size. Newegg's got a $20 off promo right now with the 965BE, putting it at $119 w/free ship.

Questions:
1. How much of a real-world difference will I see at stock speeds when using Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3?
2. I read on a few reviews that the Phenom II series basically hits a wall at 4.0GHz using x64-based systems. Is this still true?
3. Would an extra 4GB of RAM be a better use of my money at this time, and then wait for price drops on hex-core Phenom IIs?

I may wind up just doing RAM and a new processor+cooler. If I add more RAM with decent heatsinks, my CPU cooler will get in the way due to the design of the motherboard.

Also, motherboard is a Gigabyte 785G-USB3. Hard drives are a Western Digital blue 320GB (OS/apps) and blue 1TB (media/photos). I also posted this on Anandtech's forums. If i get any responses there I'll cross-quote them to here, as this info may be relevant to others.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: For Photo Editing: More cores or More RAM?...and other things.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »
I think you need to find out where your bottleneck is. Are you maxing out your current amount of RAM when working in Lightroom and Photoshop? If so, more RAM would be very helpful. 4GB is usually more than enough for the average user, but with you doing photo editing, your demands may be higher.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
Just batch processed 14 high-resolution (~10-12mb each) JPEG files using a fairly complex action. Processor (at 3.75GHz) and RAM were both at 100% through a lot of the processes. These are older files as well. My new camera produces files roughly double that size.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »
If it were me, I would pick up another 4GB of RAM (shit's cheap nowadays anyway) and wait for the new bulldozers to show up and drop prices on the current lineup.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Not a bad idea. Will bulldozer use the AM3 socket? I'll see what kind of modding I can do to my heatsink/fan to make a couple extra RAM sticks fit.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
AM3+ which I think is fantastic since a lot of users will be able to upgrade without picking up a new board.

You could also pick up a 2x4GB kit and sell your 2x2GB.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 07:16:17 PM »
That is not a bad idea. I think I will probably stick it out till Bulldozer comes out in September then pick up a hex core.