Author Topic: My Other Forum Got Hacked...  (Read 1348 times)

AirForceOne

My Other Forum Got Hacked...
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
My homepage forums just got hacked in the last 20 minutes or so.  I'm only a moderator on the site, but for all you guys that are managing forums and so forth, what are some tips to prevent this type of occurrence?  I believe this fella is the perp: http://www.youtube.com/user/hunhistory

The specs on the forum, it's a RC truck based Vbulletin board, version 4.0.7.  I think we have around 600 registered and maybe 150 regularly posting members including myself.  We don't troll, hack, harass or bad mouth other boards, we pretty much keep to ourselves.  I'm sure all this makes us an easy target though.  :-\

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: My Other Forum Got Hacked...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »
Seems like hackers just hack for the fun of it with no real purpose in mind. Codemasters and Eidos were hacked recently and nobody can figure out a motive behind it.

Hope you get it all straightened out. :\

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
It was probably just random script kiddies, try convincing the powers that be to switch to SMF it's supposed to be one of the most secure board softwares.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

angelis83lt

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
It was probably just random script kiddies, try convincing the powers that be to switch to SMF it's supposed to be one of the most secure board softwares.

SMF has quite a few security holes in it as well. Vbulletin would probably benefit from upgrading to the newest stable version. That and always make sure it is a Legal version of the software and not a Nulled version (Nulled versions tend to have backdoors built in).  Should not take to long restoring the forum however if  regular backups were kept. (I make a backup every 2 days so at most I would only have lost 2 days worth of posts if it was really a mess.)  This forum version has a nasty vulnerability. (Onyx might want to upgrade up)