Author Topic: LS1 Mustang  (Read 3775 times)

b00sted

LS1 Mustang
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
This is a car my buddy built a couple years ago.  I figure a few people here can appreciate it. ;)

It's an 89 Mustang hatch with an LS1/th400 swap.

The original setup:  We used a stock LS1 out of a 98 camaro.  Bolted on a Victor Jr. carb intake, a junk Demon carburetor, an NOS plate, and an MSD 6010 box.  We used exhaust manifolds off of a Trailblazer SS, a budget th400, budget 8.8 with a 4.30 gear, and basic suspension.  On a 225 shot of nitrous, the car went 10.40s off the trailer with NO tune in the carburetor.  It was running out of gear before the 1320'.  With a tune and a 3.73 gear, the car would have gone high 10.20s to low .30s with ease.

After half a season it stretched out the stock head bolts and blew a gasket.  So he threw in a better converter, mild nitrous cam, some ported stock heads, and dropped the nitrous to a 175 shot.  It then went 9.95 running out of gear at about the 1000' mark.  Again, had he put a 3.73 or 3.90 gear in it, the car would have likely gone 9.70s-low 9.80s.

This car was dismantled last summer.  The body got chopped up(it was ROUGH), and the parts went into other projects.  Just a quick story of what a truly budget setup can do.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: LS1 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Very cool car. I love pieced-together setups like this.

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
Just what kind of budget are we talking here?

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

b00sted

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Just what kind of budget are we talking here?

Jim

For a high 9-second car, it was cheap.  The motor came out of a wrecked camaro that he parted out...I think he paid $400 for the motor after selling the other parts.

The only thing bought new was the fuel system, intake, and MSD box.  Trans was a budget build, the original converter was a restalled fwd chrysler converter we called the purple hornet(it's been in about 12 different vehicles and still going strong), the body was bought rolling for under 2 grand with an 8-point cage, hood, misc suspension stuff.

Here's the car after it's maiden voyage.  The original th400 was built by a guy who didn't have a clue, something let loose at ~100mph while I was driving and locked up the trans/rear tires.  I ended up spinning about 270* through a ditch and into a tree.  Only the core support and frame rails in front of the strut towers moved, so we bent it back into shape with a concrete filled pole and a come-along....Gave it an alignment and went straight into the 10s(with a repaired trans).

Mick

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
Cool little build. Wish I had the time and money for something like that. Also, I remember the locked trans accident, guess you posted that before.

b00sted

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
Cool little build. Wish I had the time and money for something like that. Also, I remember the locked trans accident, guess you posted that before.

Yeah, I mentioned the story on here somewhere.

The trans was built by a place in Wisconsin(they supposedly specialize in high performance transmissions), my buddy got it as part of a trade with one of the guys that worked at the shop.  When we brought the trans to our regular trans guy(he does everything for our 7-8 second cars), he said that the previous builder was intentionally trying to hurt somebody, or had absolutely ZERO idea on how to work on an auto trans.