Author Topic: [Video Game] L.A. Noire  (Read 5486 times)

Gunslinger7

• BURNT ON CHEESE!
[Video Game] L.A. Noire
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
You're detective Phelps in 1940's Los Angeles. You start as a cop and work your way through the ranks of Traffic, Homicide, Vice, and Arson.

Game play is nearly identical to GTAIV.

You have to scour every crime scene for clues leading up to the right killer.
When talking to people, you have the three options.
Truth
Doubt
Lie

Obviously only one is right and you have to read the interviewee's facial features and body language to see which one to choose. You can use "Intuition" points if you have them to narrow your answers. These are gained 1 at a time, usually on every level up.

The old cars are cool, but none of them really differ from each other in speed. There are 20 or so hidden vehicles in the game that are unlocked in various areas around the map as the game progresses, but once again, are no faster than normal cars that spawn on the streets. Being a detective allows you to take any vehicle that has not been used in a murder, so getting around is pretty simple.

As long as you're not chasing someone in a vehicle, you can skip the boring trips to get to the crime scene by having your partner drive.

The game is 3 discs long for 360. I'm on Disc two in the first 6 hours of playing this game. There is a lot of content as you can tell.

The game seems to be pretty open, but you have to do cases back to back to back. Now, there are no time limits so you can explore the city whenever you're on a case if you'd like. I figured I'd get the gameplay done, then explore afterwards.

So far: 8/10. Just because the cases seem to be getting very repetitive. I'll update when I finish the game.

Cheers.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: [Video Game] L.A. Noire
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
I'm just curious, what happens when you're driving and you ram into other drivers, or run over pedestrians, being that you're a good guy and all?

Gunslinger7

• BURNT ON CHEESE!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
I'm just curious, what happens when you're driving and you ram into other drivers, or run over pedestrians, being that you're a good guy and all?

(click to show/hide)

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »
Wow that's lame....gonna pass on this one I think....
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
That's kinda lame, but I can totally understand why. I mean, you're a cop, it's not like everyone is just gonna look the other way when you run down innocent civilians.. so there would have to be some consequence, and facing that consequence every single time you accidentally mowed down a newspaper boy on a street corner would get pretty annoying.

They could have just done it like in the original Driver where everyone had super reflexes and would ALWAYS manage to dive out of the way just in the nick of time :lol:

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
(click to show/hide)

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
After spending some time on /v/ reading about this game, I'm half tempted to at least rent it :lol:

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
According to this video, it's not only possible, but the game even scolds you for it :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fhX_eeY40g

I guess it impacts your points? But there's no major consequences like a game over or a checkpoint load or anything. That's good.

Gunslinger7

• BURNT ON CHEESE!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:44:41 AM »
According to this video, it's not only possible, but the game even scolds you for it :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fhX_eeY40g

I guess it impacts your points? But there's no major consequences like a game over or a checkpoint load or anything. That's good.

Yeah like I said you can hit 'em but they tend to slide off to the side. If you hit them fast enough they do go flying but never die.

(click to show/hide)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:30:48 AM »
Yeah like I said you can hit 'em but they tend to slide off to the side. If you hit them fast enough they do go flying but never die.

(click to show/hide)

Video shows several of them ending up in a pool of their own blood..

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:59:58 AM »
I want to get this game simply for the cars :yup:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »
The cars that all look and perform mostly the same?

His name was Meatywand.

Gunslinger7

• BURNT ON CHEESE!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
Video shows several of them ending up in a pool of their own blood..

I have literally rammed people up against buildings and they just get back up and walk away after yelling something ridiculous. :lol:

I want to get this game simply for the cars :yup:

They are cool, the secret ones are a "bit" faster. You can check out all of the autos you have unlocked in the extras section from the main menu.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
I bought it yesterday, played the first few cases... I like it. I'd rather NOT run people over in this game, so I'm ok with it being nearly impossible. The investigation stuff is fun for someone with minor OCD like me :lol:

Gunslinger7

• BURNT ON CHEESE!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 02:17:37 AM »
I bought it yesterday, played the first few cases... I like it. I'd rather NOT run people over in this game, so I'm ok with it being nearly impossible. The investigation stuff is fun for someone with minor OCD like me :lol:

(click to show/hide)

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
(click to show/hide)

BUT THATS YOUR EVIDENCE!  HOW CAN YOU BUILD A CASE?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I think the next GTA game can benefit greatly from some of the features of this game, namely the "fast travel" feature where you can totally skip the drive to your next location if you want.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 12:29:14 AM »
Ok, just finished the story. A lot of people complained about the ending,
(click to show/hide)

The whole end part of the game felt a LOT like old school 3rd person shooters, it was pretty cool. Reminded me a bit of Max Payne at times for some reason.

Driving mechanics - Like GTA IV, but simplified a lot. GTA IV rewarded those who took the time to adapt to the physics, you could really pull off some cool maneuvers. L.A. Noire has much tighter controls and I usually found that that made it harder for me to do cool power slides and stuff like I do in GTA IV, because I'm used to sloppier handling. The car chases were a lot of fun but there's just too much traffic on the road at times, it's nearly impossible to avoid a collision with another vehicle because in order to stay on someone's tail, you HAVE to smash through cross traffic.

The cover system from GTA IV is in effect here, and it still sucks. They didn't fix it in Red Dead Redemption, and they didn't fix it here. The gun fights themselves are fun, the guns sound good and feel powerful, but combined with the same shitty cover system that Rockstar obviously doesn't seem to believe is broken... it made them a lot more frustrating than necessary. Using R1 to lock onto cover and to detach from it, while also making you use it to switch from one cover to another while holding a direction... it just doesn't work. It never did.

Foot chases were pretty fun, although sometimes there were insurmountable ankle-high walls, so if you weren't running the path they hoped you would, you might get stuck and have to go the long way around, usually meaning you lost the chase. Also in effect here are the typical GTA "impossible chases", meaning you can't end a chase before you're meant to. Some chases (on foot or in car) give you the option to end them with a warning shot from your pistol, a precise tackle if you get close enough, shooting out the tires on the car or spinning them out, but others don't end until they're supposed to. This goes back all the way to GTA III, so I'm not hopeful that R* will ever retire this device.

It's obvious that Rockstar wants to use the GTA formula in different settings, and I think that's what gamers want, too, but I really like the fact that they're changing things up enough so it's not just simply "GTA 1911" or "GTA 1947".

Red Dead Redemption was different in theme and concept that GTA IV, but essentially the basic GTA mechanics were all still there - take any horse, any time, run around causing mayhem at your discretion.

L.A. Noire seems to be Rockstar's answer to everyone suggesting a GTA game in which you play as a cop, and instead of simply taking GTA IV and putting you in the role of a cop (there's already police missions if you steal a cop car and use the computer in it), they developed an entirely new mechanic to justify the change from bad guy to good guy in a GTA style game. It makes sense, it works, and it's actually a lot of fun. If you can suspend your disbelief at the notion that pedestrians don't die no matter how hard you hit them with a car, or that you don't have the option to pull out your gun whenever you want, or that you wouldn't be fired the first time you drove through a row of street lamps and wiped out a hot dog vendor while simply driving from your office to a crime scene... then everything works quite well within the logic of the game world.

Long story short...

Gripes:
-Old annoyances from previous R* games return yet again
-The cases in the homicide desk make for interesting an storyline, but in game play they're quite repetitive
-Interrogations can be frustrating when sometimes it's not entirely clear which bit of evidence links up with which accusation
-A little too linear in some parts that feel like they should have been more open ended

Thumbs ups:
-The facial animation really is great and very entertaining. It's not just a gimmick, it makes the entire game possible as interrogations/interviews are the key part of investigations, despite that cases end pretty much the same regardless of how the interviews go.
-1947 Los Angeles represented faithfully here looks very good.
-Excellent graphics, sound, voice acting, motion acting... all good stuff.
-Cool cars.. REAL cars. Not huge differences in performance, but this is 1947. You'll notice a different in the performance oriented cars, but not a huge one.

Overall score... 8/10. Definitely worth a purchase, fits nicely alongside my copies of GTA IV/Episodes from Liberty City and Red Dead Redemption.

Now I just hope R* keeps turning out more period pieces with clever premises... a trip to the 60's or 70's would be interesting.

Mick

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »
I think the next GTA game can benefit greatly from some of the features of this game, namely the "fast travel" feature where you can totally skip the drive to your next location if you want.

You can do that some in that last POS that they made if I remember correctly.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
Just wanna say I've never had any problems with the cover system in GTA4... The only reason I ever died in that game was due to falling or getting blown up  :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Just wanna say I've never had any problems with the cover system in GTA4... The only reason I ever died in that game was due to falling or getting blown up  :lol:
Same, it was easy to use.

His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
You can do that some in that last POS that they made if I remember correctly.

I happened to like GTA IV. But you're right. There was a taxi system you could use to fast travel around. It was fucking amazing and I made sure to take advantage of it. You could either flag down a taxi on the street or call your cousin to have him send one to you.

And I hated the cover system. I found it damn near useless. Seemed to work fine in RDR for me.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »
I liked the GTA cover system better than the ME:2 system, that shit was retarded, even if you were physically behind the cover object, but you hadn't hit the cover button you could die...at least in GTA if line of sight was broken you were protected for the most part.

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
I happened to like GTA IV. But you're right. There was a taxi system you could use to fast travel around. It was fucking amazing and I made sure to take advantage of it. You could either flag down a taxi on the street or call your cousin to have him send one to you.

And I hated the cover system. I found it damn near useless. Seemed to work fine in RDR for me.

I used the Taxi system in GTA IV a lot, but that still required flagging down a Taxi, which was a pain in the ass sometimes. In RDR, it required setting up camp. In L.A.N, you can just skip on your own, which is nice and straight forward.

The cover system works much better in RDR because most of the game takes place outdoors, out in the open. It's when you get in tight areas that it becomes a cluster fuck at times, trying to switch cover from one side of a doorway to another and having it just unlock you from cover instead so you get your face blown off by a baddie with a shotgun.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Watching my brother play this....tedious as hell and the player character is a prick, but the story is interesting and the controls seem GTA standard. Cover system seems to work fine for my casual16a brother. Animation is nice, but it is Uncanny Valley as all get out. But over all seems like a decent game, but nothing ground breaking or spectacular. Also:

>investigating murder
>smash down door with no warrant
>ransack the place
>find 1911 on dresser "this is irrelevant"
>find murder weapon
>chase suspect in car while partner busts caps out the window
>giant flaming wreck
>Good Job! Excellent Police Work!

:lol: :lol:

His name was Meatywand.