Author Topic: Repairing a scratch in your LCD  (Read 2442 times)

GooneyBird

Repairing a scratch in your LCD
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:11 AM »
Yesterday, I accidentally bumped something sharp into my LCD screen, causing this:

It's a small scratch, but it's right in the center of the screen, being all annoying and rainbow-y.

So today I was looking around on the internet, when I heard a lot of good sounds about fixing it with vaseline. So I figured I have nothing to lose, and tried that.
It worked a charm! I can't even see where the scratch was, unless I turn the screen off and shine a flashlight on it. When it's on, even on a completely white background, you can't tell anymore.

• Clean screen with alcohol, or one of those wet towel things you use to clean your glasses with.
  • Take a Q-tip and some vaseline, and carefully rub that in the crack. It works best if you apply a little pressure to either side of the crack, opening it up.
  • If it doesn't work, carefully tap the crack with the Q-tip with vaseline. The idea is to fill it up, having the vaseline act as a sealant in the crack.
  • Wipe away excess vaseline carefully with a lint-free cloth
  • Le gone! Do happy dance and crack open a beer.

Of course, this is all at your own risk. It's a temporary fix, as the scratch is still there, but even if I have to do this 5-minute procedure once every 6 months I'll still be happy. ;D
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Repairing a scratch in your LCD
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »
No shit... I've never heard of that before. Glad it worked. I'll have to remember that if I ever fuck up an LCD. :lol:

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Mick

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
My question is what thought pattern would you have to be in to try that and find out it works? sounds like some odd as shit to me.

GooneyBird

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:39 AM »
My question is what thought pattern would you have to be in to try that and find out it works? sounds like some odd as shit to me.

Weed. Lots and lots of it. :lol: ;)

I saw it on the web somewhere, and it makes sense. The scratch is so noticeable because the light gets refracted in the scratch. So you need something that will act as a lens to re-focus the light properly, and apparently vaseline works a charm.

I'm not complaining, it worked, it was simple, and it was free. ;D
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

Reaper

• BannedFromPosting
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »

That's what I was thinking as well... more or less.  My thought was "What frame of mind do you have to be in to come up with "Let's try Vaseline."