Author Topic: Ok, let's build b00sted a computer...  (Read 1675 times)

b00sted

Ok, let's build b00sted a computer...
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
Here's what I'm looking for:  A budget-minded setup mainly used for video/photo editing.  Dual or quad core processor, 4-8gB of memory, twin 1-1.5tB hdd's with a RAID configuration.  I also need suggestions for a nice LCD screen that will work nicely with photo editing/processing(angry hampster, max, speedy, etc?)

I already have a Rosewill 600 or 650 watt modular power supply.  I also have an 80gB IDE hard drive that I plan on using for the operating system and programs.  I'll likely run Windows 7 64-bit, but I'm open to alternatives.

When I say budget minded, I mean I don't want to buy the TOP dollar stuff.  I'm not afraid to spend money, but I don't need to go balls out.  If I can get everything in one order from Newegg or similar, that will be great.  Suggestions?

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: Ok, let's build b00sted a computer...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »
This is simular to what I'm doing now. Well post my setup after work.

handle

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:07:34 PM »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »
^ Those are good deals, but I don't like jumping through hoops to save $10-20.

First of all, why RAID your large drives? It's obviously not for speed. If it's for backup purposes, I'd suggest having a USB 3.0/eSATA external hard drive synced to backup an internal drive of the same size. Also consider offsite storage such as Dropbox or Amazon S3. Doing this eliminates having ALL your drives hooked up to the same power supply. If your cheap PSU fries, it may well take out everything directly attached to it.

Also, the hard drive that your OS is on REALLY makes a big difference in the speed of your machine. Toss that old IDE drive and use a WD Black or Samsung F1.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17443986
That processor should reach 3.8GHz very easily on that motherboard. IMO a great option right now for budget builds. I have the dual-core version of this processor and love it.

If you have extra cash, I would recommend getting rid of the Rosewill PSU. Pick up something from Corsair, Antec or FSP. From personal experience and reviews I've read, Rosewill PSUs fluctuate wildly in output under load.

For the monitor, I cannot recommend Samsung enough. Their higher-end TN panels are absolutely stellar. I have a 2433bw I bought about 2 years and am still in love with it. Very vivid and accurate. Also if you don't have one, pick up a good laser mouse. Makes a lot of difference in fine tuning photos.

b00sted

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
Yes, for redundancy purposes.  I may just do a single drive in an external enclosure like you listed and then do a RAID setup or some other form of redundant backup down the road.

That mobo you listed doesn't have any on board video...So I'll either need to buy a video card, or find a similar model that has a video chipset.  I've heard great things about Gigabyte mobos.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
There's good deals on video cards on Slickdeals all the time. If you're not in a huge hurry, you could keep your eye on there for one.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
Yes, for redundancy purposes.  I may just do a single drive in an external enclosure like you listed and then do a RAID setup or some other form of redundant backup down the road.

That mobo you listed doesn't have any on board video...So I'll either need to buy a video card, or find a similar model that has a video chipset.  I've heard great things about Gigabyte mobos.

Woops. I thought I'd picked a G board.  Check it again:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17443986

That board is abit more expensive, but has the best AMD chipset on the market and a lot of really nice options.