Author Topic: The joys of formatting  (Read 2572 times)

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
The joys of formatting
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »
Backing up everything I have on my laptop to my external because I think I need to format my system.  I hate the hassle of backing everything up, and then trying to get everything back the way you like it after the format is done.  Pain in the ass.  Oh well.  Needs to be done.

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: The joys of formatting
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
Why do you think you need to format?

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
Been running slow as can be lately, and has a lengthy start up time.  Went from roughly 30 seconds to about 5 minutes.  System isn't even a year old. 

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
Too much CP gotta wipe the evidence :lol:
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »
Five minutes? Holy christ. What do you have installed on that shit? How long does it take to actually get into Windows? Or is that what takes five minutes?

Mick

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
My desktop taking 30seconds is to long. You might just need to go in and make so not everything boots upon startup and only boots when you need to use it. That could be why its running slow, to many things running at once.

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »
Five minutes? Holy christ. What do you have installed on that shit? How long does it take to actually get into Windows? Or is that what takes five minutes?

Windows loads up pretty quick.  maybe a minute, but after I log into my desktop, it literally takes minutes before I can even access something simple like Firefox. 

EDIT:

Disabled everything I could, restarted.  Double clicked Mozilla within the first minute of logging in, took 5 minutes before it actually opened. 

Refer to this thread
http://anti-rice.com/smf/index.php?topic=3819.0

My CPU usage never went above 40% on startup, and RAM never passed 1.5 GB (4GB in system)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:37:59 PM by JD »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
Sounds like you've got loads of processes starting up when Windows loads. Go to Run > 'msconfig'. Click the 'Startup' tab and turn off all the shit you don't need. Most anything to do with Adobe can be turned off, same with Office unless you have something like Outlook starting up with Windows. You can't do any damage by disabling startup elements. You might just find that you turned off something you used to want at startup and you can just turn it back on.

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
I looked at the startup list before, but it didn't seem like there was much.  Will take a look again.

TMW

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 03:17:38 AM »
I hate the hassle of backing everything up, and then trying to get everything back the way you like it after the format is done.  Pain in the ass.  Oh well.  Needs to be done.

Welcome to my world.

Now imagine it without driver discs (I misplaced them).

Not good...
After a minute or so I see him bend down and look under the stall wall and he says with his thick African accent "Why no feet?":
Quote from: Liz
potty time

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
Driver discs. :lol:

Windows 7 has made reformatting so much easier with all of the built-in drivers. It even has video drivers that work great until you're able to download drivers straight from nVidia or ATI.

UberWasser

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »

Windows 7 has made reformatting so much easier with all of the built-in drivers. It even has video drivers that work great until you're able to download drivers straight from nVidia or ATI.

Seriously. When I reformatted my wife's PC with her Windows XP license I hit a wall when it asked for a network card driver. What the fuck??

Guess I'm spoiled these days.

So yeah, she's getting Windows 7 soon.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »

Yep. Just reformatted my computer last month with Win7.  Booted up and nearly everything worked perfectly on its own. Such an incredibly simple process nowadays.

Reaper

• BannedFromPosting
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
If you don't have a lot of stuff loading up at start-up yet booting still takes forever, have you checked the hard drive?  You may have a failing drive.  I don't know how old your drive is, but see if you can find some software that can read the drive's SMART status. 

On my last laptop, right before the drive went to drive hell, OS X started taking longer and longer to boot up.  Now, Windows, Os X ain't, but the principle is the same.

Also thumbs up to Microsoft for Windows 7.  I disliked Windows (more of a UNIX/Linux fan), until Win 7.  I did a native install of 7 Ultimate 64 on my MBP and I can actually tolerate Windows now.  The GUI doesn't fell as "clunky" as the previous versions. 

TMW

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:07:46 AM »

Well, I kinda only had XP and stupidly slow internet, it took FOREVER to download all the drivers I needed. Might upgrade to 7 when I can afford to buy it, but right now, it's working, so I'm not gonna touch it ;)  ;D
After a minute or so I see him bend down and look under the stall wall and he says with his thick African accent "Why no feet?":
Quote from: Liz
potty time