Author Topic: Beer People  (Read 1850 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Beer People
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
Anyone try any of these before? The Sam Adams is probably the most beautiful beer I've ever poured. It had about a 1" head that was the brownest brown I've ever seen in a beer... it was gorgeous. I wish I took a picture of it. Might be the most flavorful stout I've had as well. Not much bitterness, mostly just a slightly burnt aftertaste. Very good. I haven't cracked the other ones open yet.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
Re: Beer People
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
I tried the choco stout... its good, if I am in the mood...

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

camaro_man

• Instafucked
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »
It is so hard to find any good brews around here. Crudweiser and Nasty Ice reign supreme because no one around here seems to care bout taste, just getting hammered to bone their cousins it seems. There is one liquor store here that carries different beers, but the selection is extremely limited. They have Arrogant Bastard though so that is a plus.
The Original.
camaro_man
Est. 2002

All war is deception.

cfkingfish

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
It is so hard to find any good brews around here. Crudweiser and Nasty Ice reign supreme because no one around here seems to care bout taste, just getting hammered to bone their cousins it seems. There is one liquor store here that carries different beers, but the selection is extremely limited. They have Arrogant Bastard though so that is a plus.

Damn man, Natty Ice is popular there? That shit is so nasty, it makes Bud look like a Belgian Ale. The last time I drank that shit I committed various acts of vandalism to plants in the greater Boston area.

I have had the Affligem before, it is good and will hit you fast. Pretty sure it is over 10%.
Christian

2014 Hyundai Elantra
Previous vehicles:
2002 Mustang GT
2012 Hyundai Veloster
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Resident Plant Expert, Poker player, and DJ

Mick

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »
Haven't had the imperial stout before, but have had the double bock in the imperial series which is a very good beer. Haven't had that rogue beer either, not a fan of the chocolate stouts. And haven't seen the others before. Also for sam adams, my 2 favorite beers they produce is the Double bock and the Black lager(pours about how the imperial stout does).

James

• Meh
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:26:38 PM »
I have all 4 of those in my beer fridge (plus quite a few more).  The Sam Adams Imperials are great for a beer produced en masse....particularly like the Imperial White.  The Affligem Tripel is good but I don't think it's particularly outstanding in terms of Abbey ales.  I think I prefer the Affligem Double.  The latest out of Abita with the Andygator, SOS, and Abbey Ale are very good beers for the money.  Usually about $4.50 a bomber and $50 for a case around here.  The Rogue is a good chocolate stout but I much prefer the Stone Bitter Oatmeal Chocolate stout. 
Four boxes protect liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:30:26 PM »
I'm truly surprised as the beer selection in this town. Being a town of 50,000 college students, I figured it would simply be overrun with Natty Lights and Milwaukee's Best, but there is actually a fairly prominent beer scene. There's a few places that do beer tastings during the week and quite a few grocery stores have a decent selection. I bought the pictured beers at a local Publix grocery store. :lol:

I have had the Affligem before, it is good and will hit you fast. Pretty sure it is over 10%.

I think it's a 10%. The Sam Adam's was a 9.5%, I think. I'm a big fan of some of the sweeter, higher alcohol ales like Victory's Golden Monkey.

I have all 4 of those in my beer fridge (plus quite a few more).  The Sam Adams Imperials are great for a beer produced en masse....particularly like the Imperial White.  The Affligem Tripel is good but I don't think it's particularly outstanding in terms of Abbey ales.  I think I prefer the Affligem Double.  The latest out of Abita with the Andygator, SOS, and Abbey Ale are very good beers for the money.  Usually about $4.50 a bomber and $50 for a case around here.  The Rogue is a good chocolate stout but I much prefer the Stone Bitter Oatmeal Chocolate stout. 

I'm a little leery of Belgian Whites. I've tried two now and they both reminded me (smell and taste) of raw meat. I saw the Sam Adam's Belgian White last night and considered it, but I typically don't migrate towards a witbier anyway. I saw the Affligem Double as well. Maybe I'll pick that up at some point if the Tripel doesn't do it for me. I think $4.50 is about right for the Andygator if I remember correctly. It was about $33 for a 4-pack of the Sam Adams and the other 3 beers pictured.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
Rogue's Chocolate Stout is a great dessert beer. Very smooth, but also very sweet and rich.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
Yes, and they are all very good.

The imperial stout doesn't beat Stone's imperial... sorry. Much smoother.

If you can, try to track one of these down:

Trois Pistoles. Try finding the cork top one.

It will knock you on your ass with flavor.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Darcsun

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »
The Sam Adams Imperial series is good, but it's far short when compared to their beer that started the series.  If I can ever find this again, I'll pick up a few cases.

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=6594977d-4170-4f97-a6ac-59ca8e264704

This stuff will know you on your ass after a couple, and it tastes awesome.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »

If you can, try to track one of these down:

Trois Pistoles. Try finding the cork top one.

It will knock you on your ass with flavor.

I prefer their La Terrible to the Trois Pistoles. Both are great though.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

I prefer their La Terrible to the Trois Pistoles. Both are great though.

quit reading reviews ;-)

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:21 PM »
quit reading reviews ;-)

Reading reviews?  Unibroue is my favorite imported brewery. ;)

UberWasser

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »

There are lots of better Imp Stouts out there than the Sam Adams, though it is good. But ones like Bell's Expedition Stout, or Oskar Blue's Ten Fidy put it to shame.

As for chocolate stouts, I must say my favorite is still the classic Young's Double Chocolate stout. Especially on tap.

In regards to the Tripel, I would choose others over the Affligem like Tripel Karmeliet, Allagash, St. Bernardus, etc.

James

• Meh
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:48 AM »
Whittled my selection down to these few for tonight.

I think I'm going with the Chicken Killer.  Barley wine ale @ 10% ABV.  Help me tolerate some of the worthless posts some of you jokers make.

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:48:54 AM by James »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 05:09:04 AM »
Can we just have a beer thread?

Translation, since re-reading that makes no sense.. Kal, why don't you make this the official AR beer thread, that way we can keep up with what everyone is drinking since some of you guys actually have real taste.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

James

• Meh
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
That's a good idea.

A bad idea?  Drinking that Chicken Killer Ale right before bed.  I woke up crop dusting the house so bad the cat was giving me the "Why the fuck don't you go outside with that?" look.  Capped off with a pretty hefty beer shit.

Can't think of a better way to start the day. :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »
Can we just have a beer thread?

Translation, since re-reading that makes no sense.. Kal, why don't you make this the official AR beer thread, that way we can keep up with what everyone is drinking since some of you guys actually have real taste.

Great idea.

Rocket 442

• Global Moderator
    • Staple Creative
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
To go along with the new thread, had some of my favorite Imperial Stout last night.

If you like stouts, this is a great one to try. It just has that perfect balance to me.

Mick

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
You ass holes are making me want to run to my favorite beer store(huge selection of micro brews and other beers you just don't see at most of the beer stores around here) and pick something nice to chill with today.

Went and picked up a few things.
My Haul: Ommegang Abbey Ale, Sam Adams Imperial Stout(since OP seemed to like it), Pub Dog Hoppy Dog(local brew here in MD) and Rogue Dead Guy Ale(Never had it before any good?)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:14:09 PM by Mick »

James

• Meh
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »
You ass holes are making me want to run to my favorite beer store(huge selection of micro brews and other beers you just don't see at most of the beer stores around here) and pick something nice to chill with today.

Asshole is one word, fuckstick.  And you should be thanking us.

:mrgreen:

Went and picked up a few things.
My Haul: Ommegang Abbey Ale, Sam Adams Imperial Stout(since OP seemed to like it), Pub Dog Hoppy Dog(local brew here in MD) and Rogue Dead Guy Ale(Never had it before any good?)

Feh.  Most of that stuff is available in most niche box stores. Don't think I've had a Rogue beer I didn't like, including that one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

UberWasser

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
Don't think I've had a Rogue beer I didn't like, including that one.

I thought the John John Hazelnut was a waste of good Hazelnut Brown Nectar. The barrel aging did a lot to the flavor, none of it particularly beneficial. But otherwise, I agree.

Rocket, Yeti is great, absolutely. I had it for the first time recently, not sure why it took me so long to get around to it.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 11:38:37 PM »
Rogue Dead Guy is my favorite beer.  Double Dead Guy is also wonderful.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
I'll have to see if I can locate some Yeti around here.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
No Samual Smith? The Oatmeal Stout and the I think it was call Nut Brown Ale were fucking tasty, and I had a weird fondness for skull crusher as well.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.