Author Topic: Winch Power Supply  (Read 214 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Winch Power Supply
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »
I have ordered my winch (Warn VR8000) to mount behind the stock cross member for the Comanche. Now I need to figure out how to get a steady stream of reliable power to it. Solenoid pack will be mounted under the hood.

In my Rubi I have a Sears DieHard Platinum P4 battery with the side mount terminals; I also think the Rubi has a higher output alternator. It has served me well with my Superwinch. My biggest concern is that the Warn will draw a lot more power than the Superwinch and the battery/alternator wont be able to keep up during long pulls with the factory 99XJ alternator.

What do you run for a winch battery? How about a high output alternator?

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
Re: Winch Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
My brother ran a deep cycle marine battery with his Tabor 9K... Worked just fine as long as you weren't trying to winch for half an hour at a time or something stupid  :lol:

AirForceOne

Re: Winch Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »
If you use your winch a lot, you will want the highest capacity battery you can fit.  You will need to juice to run the winch if your engine gets disabled or is underwater (don't know if you 'wheel that hard).  If you winch a lot, a dual battery setup is a good way to go.  Then you can drain one winching before switching to the second to start the rig and get you home.