Author Topic: Looking for mobo/processor suggestions...  (Read 2466 times)

b00sted

Looking for mobo/processor suggestions...
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
I'm going to build a new pc and was just wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to go with.

I don't do gaming, but I do a lot of photo and video editing(Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects).  I'm going with 4gb RAM(still running XP or Vista, so any more than 4gb is useless), a 1TB hdd to hold media, I already have an 80gb hdd to hold the OS and the programs. I have a Rosewill modular 650w power supply as well.

I was looking at the i7 processors...Something along the lines of a quad-core 3.0gHz or so.

Also, I need input on graphics cards.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Looking for mobo/processor suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
I can't say I would recommend going with an i7. It's an extra cost and you likely won't be able to utilize it anyway. I would go with an i5 Sandybridge now that they worked out the initial kinks. The processors are a little cheaper than the last round of i5s and they run cooler as well. I don't have a suggestion for exact processor or motherboard though. You'll have to decide how powerful a CPU you want and pick a board that has the functionality you're looking for.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
I would go with a board with onboard graphics if you're not into gaming. You could save the money for a better board and/or more RAM or even an SSD for the OS if you wanted.

Also, why not Windows 7 64 bit?  

Also, what's your budget?

b00sted

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
I already have XP and I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to upgrade to 7 yet.

Also, how does 64 bit work as far as software goes?  Does the software have to be designed for/support 64 bit?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
I doubt you'll run into any problems with going to a 64-bit OS. I'm running Win7 64-bit at work and home and I haven't had any issues.

speedy_2

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
Depends on what it is. Most stuff will work under 7 64 bit just fine.

Microsoft has a site where you can find out what programs work and don't work under each version

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

I would check that against everything you need and want to run.  

But, for all the new hardware out there, it's the best way to go if you can.  I've built a few  AMD machines for customers.  Just for getting online and using Office programs. And the PC's fly. They are great.  

I have a quad core here at work and it's overclocked and running XP.  I'm just not blown away with boot up and other tasks like I am with 7 64-bit.  

b00sted

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
Well then it may be something to consider.  Maybe a nice dual core with a 64 bit OS.  If I do that then there's no reason to not go with at least 8gB of RAM.

I have a dual core 1.8 AMD with 4gb RAM(Vista recognizes about 3.5), and editing HD video really bogs this thing down.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
I don't think you'll see an advantage for going above 4GB of RAM. I wouldn't do it unless there's a damn good deal on a 2x4GB or 3x2GB (if the board is tri-channel) setup.

handle

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
If you're going to be editing video, I would forget about the 80GB hard drive and get a large SSD or a fast Samsung HDD.

speedy_2

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:45:24 PM »
If you're editing a good amount of video forget an SSD.  You're gonna need space. Lots of it.  Keep your eyes on Newegg.com

They have daily deals. Usually have some decent dual core setups for good prices.  Sometimes hard drives too.  And lately they've had some crazy deals on DDR3 RAM.  4GB or more.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »
If you're looking for a solid, reasonably priced upgrade, look for a 790GX motherboard and an AMD Phenom  II X4 or X6 processor. An X4/790 combo can be had for about $220, with 4GB DDR3 RAM adding an extra $45 or so.

The best bet for hard drives right now are Western Digital's Caviar Black series. The 1.5TB drives are unbelievably quick, and they have a 5 year warranty.

I have a Phenom II x2 955, which I've overclocked to 3.9GHz. It's not terrible for crunching video, but I'd love to upgrade to a quad or hex core.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »
AH, how do they stack up against the Samsung Spinpoint F1 line?

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
AH, how do they stack up against the Samsung Spinpoint F1 line?

About 10% faster according to Passmark:
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=WDC%20WD1502FAEX

It is so friggin hard to find a good platter hard drive review anymore.  I'm not even considering jumping to SSDs until the $/GB comes down.

angelis83lt

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
If the release dates stay intact the prices for the current offerings in AMD chips should go down with the release of the bulldozer chips in June. So it depend on how long you want to wait.