Author Topic: Cooked laptop?  (Read 1577 times)

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
Cooked laptop?
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »
I was playing Minecraft about a week ago, and my laptop would get fairly hot while doing so.  I would only play maybe 30 minutes at a time.  Since then, my laptop takes forever on start up, and generally more sluggish than usual.  I have since installed Core Temp to see what my laptop runs at.  During daily use, it's usually between 55C and 70C.  Is that par for the course, or could I have done something wrong?

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Cooked laptop?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
What processor is it? 70C seems hot to me, but not hot enough to cause any damage. Being a laptop, it may just be prone to running hot. I've never checked temps on a laptop.

Have you tried cleaning dust out of it? If you can, I recommend taking it apart to clean all of the crap out of it if you haven't done so yet. It's highly likely that there's dust clogging it up and causing at least a little bit of poor air flow.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
It's a AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300  2.00 GHz

I don't know what to think as it is my first laptop.  Just hope I didn't screw over the internal components

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
It's a AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300  2.00 GHz

I don't know what to think as it is my first laptop.  Just hope I didn't screw over the internal components

Do your processors show that they are doing a lot of work?  Check out your resource monitor, how much ram is being used, and what is the processor use %?

Hamspiced

• Super Administrator
  • Night Owl
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
you can try taking the laptop apart, and putting new thermal compound on the heatsink.
Night Owl...