Author Topic: Star Car of the Week: Ghostbusters' '59 Miller-Meteor Ambulance "Ecto-1"  (Read 8544 times)

00XJ

• Carnage Racing

Stolen from Wikipedia:

In the original movie, this vehicle was purchased by Ray Stantz for the relatively high price of $4800 in a poor state of repair. In Stantz' own words, it needed "suspension work and shocks, brakes, brake pads, lining, steering box, transmission, rear end..., new rings, mufflers, a little wiring...." It is assumed that Ray continues listing needed repairs after this scene cuts away.

After the necessary reconstruction, it was used to carry the team's ghost-capturing equipment, as well as transporting the Ghostbusters through New York City. It has a distinctive siren wail. Its features include a special pull-out rack in the rear containing the staff's proton packs, which facilitates a quick retrieval without the complication of having to reach into the vehicle's rear. There are also various gadgets mounted on the top, whose function is never revealed in the movies. A cartoon episode featured the "proton cannon", presumably a more powerful version of a proton pack, mounted on top for use against extra large or even giant sized paranormal entities. The book "Making Ghostbusters" by Don Shay describes a deleted scene where a police officer places a ticket on the Ectomobile only to have it instantly burn to ashes.

Earlier versions of scripts written by Dan Aykroyd for the first Ghostbusters also included mentions of the Ectomobile having the power of interdimensional travel. The shooting script for the movie described the Ectomobile as being black, with purple and white strobe lights that gave the vehicle a "purple aura".

In 2010, the Ecto-1 makes a brief appearance in the commercial for Sony's new panoramic digital camera line.

The Ectomobile is named on-screen through the introduction of its finished form (presumably once Ray was done with repairs) with the license plate shown reading "Ecto-1". The word "Ectomobile" was only used in the song "Cleaning Up The Town" from the film's soundtrack. Originally the filmmakers planned to have the Ecto-1 be painted black. The color of the vehicle was later changed to white when it was decided a black car would be too difficult to see during night scenes. The Ectomobile was originally going to be a much more high tech vehicle, with an almost artificial intelligence. Three cars have played the vehicle in the movies; the third 1959 Miller-Meteor was purchased after the second died during shooting of Ghostbusters II. The black Miller-Meteor seen at the beginning of the first movie was leased and used only for that scene and never converted for filming, though it was later purchased by the studio and completely converted to a full Ecto-1 for touring. Ecto-1A was originally scripted as the Ecto-2, and one reference to this remains in the movie. When Bill Murray as Dr. Peter Venkman is standing outside of his apartment and the car pulls up, the phrase Ecto-2 is visible on the license plate. Both Ectomobiles are currently sitting in a Sony pictures backlot having recently undergone a full restoration after years of deterioration, Universal Studios "Spooktackular" stage show featured a replica built by Universal which was purchased by a gentleman from Tennessee and is currently being restored to movie correct condition as well. Currently an Ecto-1 replica is held for sale at about $150,000. This is not the original car, but a replica made by George Barris. George Barris actually had nothing to do with the original cars, but has claimed credit to designing and building them. Another replica currently resides at Historic Auto Attractions museum in Roscoe, Illinois. The original was the creation of Steven Dane, credited as a Hardware Consultant in the credits. At one point there was a Ghostbusters video game in development which featured a more modern version of the Ectomobile, based on a stretched Chrysler 300C. At the announcement held at Best Buy HQ the fully restored Ecto-1 made an appearance.

Next week: The Mirth Mobile

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:51:28 PM by 77olds »

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
I used to have this car in addition to several other ghostbuster toys.
 :yup:

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
I used to have this car in addition to several other ghostbuster toys.
 :yup:

I always wanted one, never could find one. I only ever wanted the Hot-Wheels sized cars and only recently found the BttF Delorean on Ebay.

Aeroboost

• SODIUM FREE
I picked up the hotwheels of it not long ago.

it looks a bit different with mags  :lol:
You cain't buy it that way...

GooneyBird

Hoooollly shit body roll. :lol:
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

Grim91Z

No shit, look at the antenna on the passenger fender.
Formerly DoD.

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
And the air under the drivers front tire...

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Johnny Butt

• Ask me about my will to survive.
No shit, look at the antenna on the passenger fender.

! HOLY SHIT!

Faster than I would EVER turn that car.  I guess that's why buddy is a stunt driver.