Author Topic: [Beer] Peace Tree Imperial Stout  (Read 1018 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
[Beer] Peace Tree Imperial Stout
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Peace Tree is a relatively new brewery here in Iowa, based in a town called Knoxville. Knoxville is also the international home of Sprint Car racing. :) 

Anyway, I noticed their Imperial Stout in the fridge of my favorite local beer shop, so I grabbed one of their stubby bottles (12oz). Upon first impression, I thought it was one of the darkest stouts I've ever seen. It is opaque. Smell reveals citrus, a little bit of berries perhaps, and a smokey hint.  Taste is all about the smokey flavor. VERY unique compared to any other imperial I've had. You still get a lot of the hoppiness and citrus flavors you'd expect in a good stout, but the smoke characteristic is really what puts it a cut above. Finish is smokey with a little spice and barley. Definitely a nice touch.

For an imperial, it's also *extremely* smooth. It doesn't have that typical bite that an imperial tends to have. Hides the alcohol very well.

All in all, outstanding. This might be my new favorite beer, and I'm pretty picky with stouts. Unfortunately right now they only distribute to the state of Iowa. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to send some of these brews your way in the continental US. They're also VERY reasonably priced. I believe I paid $3 for my stout today.