Author Topic: Star Car of the Week: Dukes of Hazzard's 69 Charger, "The General Lee"  (Read 7440 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Possibly the most famous car of all time.

The Dukes of Hazzard TV show was the stuff of dreams for rednecks across the country for two main reasons:
Daisy Duke, and the orange '69 Dodge Charger dubbed "The General Lee", with a Confederate Flag painted on the roof, a horn that plays the first line of "Dixie", and a CB radio to boot.

You'll notice most of these images are from the movie, well, that's because it's hard to find good pics from the show. The movie didn't recieve quite as warm a reception as the TV show as it bastardized much of the good-natured spirit of the show, but the General Lee is the one thing that the movie got absolutely right.

I think the General Lee represented something that everyone can appreciate: Freedom. This is a car that was seemingly above the law, both the law of Hazzard County, and the law of gravity.

Although the estimated number of General Lees used varies from different sources, according to Ben Jones ("Cooter" in the show), as well as builders involved with the show, 256 General Lees were used to film the series. Others claim about 321 were used in the series. Approximately seventeen still exist in various states of repair. On average, more than one General Lee was used up per show. When filming a jump, anywhere from 500 to 1,000 pounds of sand bags or concrete ballast was placed in the trunk to prevent the car from nosing over. Later in the series the mechanics would raise the front end of the car to keep it from scraping against the ramp causing it to lose speed, thereby providing a cushion for the driver upon landing. Stunt drivers report enjoying the flights but hating the landings. Despite the ballast, the landing attitude of the car was somewhat unpredictable, resulting in moderate to extremely violent forces, depending on how it landed. On many of the jumps the cars bent upon impact. All cars used in large jumps were immediately retired due to structural damage.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I recall reading, that despite all of the stunts, no body was seriously injured.

I enjoy watching the shows on DVD. Usually one an evening while cooking dinner. It is amazing to watch the General land. You can see the entire body buckle and wave.

73LJWhiteSL

I grew up watching this on TV, and loved it. :yup:

Yep the General Lee sure does bend or break in most of its landings, gotta love the next shot showing it driving away ok.  :lol:

Steve

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Freedom from gravity :lol:

Mick

It is a shame how many they destroyed for the show though. But yes it was a entertaining show to watch.

Night

• The Red Shiney button!
Have most on DVD.  The early shows were just hilarious.

If what you don't know can't hurt you, you are practically invulnerable.

OldCarGuy

Weren't they just good ole' boys and never meaning no harm?
If it has tits or wheels chances are good it will give you problems.

Sponty

Is it bad that I've never seen this show?

02p71

Yes.

Nava

• Goddamn Hinge-Heads

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
Re: Star Car of the Week: Dukes of Hazzard's 69 Charger, "The General Lee"
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
I was a kid and watched the show when it originally aired.
I was a poor redneck kid living in rural middle Georgia.
My father was an ex shine runner.
I was taught to drive in a 400 hp 73 chevy vega on dirt back roads.
In the back of my mind I knew that the Dukes were just how things were.
When I was a pup I did a little shine running.
I love to go out on dirt roads and throw a car around.
I have jumped over a police officer... not intentionally.
I have run from the law.
I have had BOLOs out on my cars.
I have had friends that were cops that let me go when I should have been locked up.

The Dukes of Hazzard wasnt just a TV show... it was a guide for growing up for me.
I look back on that show with a LOT of fondness.
From the time I was 8 till I was 14, it was my all time favorite show.
The Coy and Vance episodes dont count.

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Gremlin

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »
In the second picture. The door is open on the General Lee :lol:

logikfive

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »
I used to watch this show all the time. Got uninterested when the Coy and Vance episodes aired.

I still <3 the movie.

LiverOfSteeL

Gotta love the General!  This was my favorite show as a kid.  I actually got to sit in the driver's seat of a REAL General Lee from the TV show:

That's my little sister next to me :-)