Author Topic: Ban appeals  (Read 8236 times)

Caryn

• Super Administrator
Re: Ban appeals
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
"Yer banned...call Onyx here is his number XXX-XXX-XXXX"
"He works nights...the best time to call is 3 pm....he is nice and friendly when ya wake him"
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »
I really dislike that word. It makes me think of arbor which makes me think of trees and I get this image of the banned member in the middle of a pine tree forest on the FFVII world map holding up a little wooden sign that says "WILL WORK FOR FOOD".

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
This sounds like a pretty legit idea...I like it.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
"Yer banned...call Onyx here is his number XXX-XXX-XXXX"
"He works nights...the best time to call is 3 pm....he is nice and friendly when ya wake him"

I second this motion.
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

Reaper

• BannedFromPosting
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
May a user appeal a ban in advance?  You know, just in case...

:hide:

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
There have been complaints in the past about arbitrary bans and how admins abuse their powers (I got that a lot for awhile).  As such, I'm starting a panel consisting of me, 2 admins, and 2 mods that will review bans when they are appealed by the users.  Here's how it will work.

If you feel the ban is unfair or arbitrary, then you let me or another admin know you want to appeal it.  The ban will be removed from you at that moment.  From there I will send out a notification to the rest of the panel to let them know.  The person who banned the user explains why he did it.  The user gets to explain their position.  The panel looks at the situation and rules from there.  If they rule the ban was worth it, you serve out your punishment.  If they decide it is not a legitimate ban, you don't serve the ban.  If it was OBVIOUS that you were wrong and that you are just wasting the time of the panel, you will serve the punishment out, as well as serve an additional time TBD by the panel (this is to keep every ban that is deserved from coming up to us for no reason other than you're upset about being banned).

Thats an even number.  What happens in a tie?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
Thats an even number.  What happens in a tie?

We'll grab another mod or admin not related to the ban and have them cast the last vote.  Most of the staff is pretty even keeled, so I don't know if we'll have all that many ties, to be honest.

May a user appeal a ban in advance?  You know, just in case...

:hide:

No :P  If we allowed that, Meaty would have about 5 in place just in case of a ban :lol:

Reaper

• BannedFromPosting
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
Well OK.  I figured I'd ask.  The worst I could get for asking the question was (and seems to be) a "NO".  :D

Calbob

• Rice Whisperer
    • Calbob - Parts Detective
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »
I would like to get a form for this as I will be using the service often.

angelis83lt

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »
I would like to get a form for this as I will be using the service often.

Making a form would not be a bad idea.  Stick it under the "contact" button on the main site outside of the forum and then the ban would not affect any attempt at contact and the appeal could be sent to the entire panel at once so everyone is on the same page at the exact same time.

Just have to make the form fields useful for the panel to determine who is sending it.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 02:08:06 AM »
I like this idea.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
There's a page other than the forum? :lol:

His name was Meatywand.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »
There's a page other than the forum? :lol:

There's a forum?

(⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Nava

• Goddamn Hinge-Heads
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »
There's a forum?

There's a revolt015?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
Making a form would not be a bad idea.  Stick it under the "contact" button on the main site outside of the forum and then the ban would not affect any attempt at contact and the appeal could be sent to the entire panel at once so everyone is on the same page at the exact same time.

Just have to make the form fields useful for the panel to determine who is sending it.

I'm not setting up a form for this.  There's chat to contact someone, there's emails that you can get for the admins/mods, etc.

angelis83lt

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 01:07:56 AM »
I'm not setting up a form for this.  There's chat to contact someone, there's emails that you can get for the admins/mods, etc.

We have chat? Didn't realize that. Just figured it would be easier with the form. I guess if the e-mails are posted in a conspicuous area in order to do an e-mail then it is not all that bad either.  Just have to make sure you lay out a specific format (sorry if I missed it if you did), else it could become a headache trying to make out the who, what, why type of stuff.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
So did hextic appeal her ban? Just curious to see if the first "real" use of the appeal system went smoothly, since I haven't seen her post I'm guessing it was just an instant lol no u BANT response, but if any changes to the policy resulted from this latest hoopla I'm sure I'm not the only one curious to know.

His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
Nope. No appeal was made. In the event that one was made, there would be no pardon granted anyway. The Ban Appeal system is more intended for members who receive a short ban like 1-7 days. Hextic was perma-banned based on a majority vote by the staff of this forum. If this ban were to be appealed, the same vote would be had and we'd be back to square one.

There is also some certainty that Hextic attempted to troll the website as the user 'dcheney'.

There is no change to the Ban Appeal system. It is still in effect and should be used appropriately.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:39:14 AM by Kalgorn »

1990 Talon TSi AWD | 2004 Impala SS

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
Oh ok, Onyx posted somewhere that the ban was being appealed so I was just curious if anything good/bad/indifferent might have come from it. And the dcheney thing was beyond retarded so yeah....I guess the BANT was very well earned :lol:

His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »
I don't remember him saying it was being appealed, but he was expecting it to be.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
Must have been a misreading on my part, carry on!

His name was Meatywand.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
For some reason I also thought it had been appealed, but looking back through previous conversations, it was just that we expected it to happen.

In my opinion, the appeals are set in place so another member can speak upon your behalf, not so you can speak upon your own behalf. At least, that's how I think it should be - that way someone has to like you enough and agree with you enough to lay their own ass on the line.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 01:03:18 AM »
She did appeal.

For some reason I also thought it had been appealed, but looking back through previous conversations, it was just that we expected it to happen.

In my opinion, the appeals are set in place so another member can speak upon your behalf, not so you can speak upon your own behalf. At least, that's how I think it should be - that way someone has to like you enough and agree with you enough to lay their own ass on the line.

The appeals are not set in place for someone else to speak for you because if the staff finds that you deserved the ban, then the punishment is doubled.

Daemon

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
How do you double a permabant? :lol:

Ok, ok, I'm going. :mrgreen:

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »
How do you double a permabant? :lol:

As much as you may be joking, you're right. That goes back to the point I made earlier. In the event of someone being permanently banned (especially when it was a staff vote that made it happen), there is no appeal available. It's rare that we, the staff, permaban people. If it happens, they likely deserved it so the chance of an appeal even working at that point is slim to none.