Author Topic: Ban appeals  (Read 8241 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Ban appeals
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
There have been complaints in the past about arbitrary bans and how admins abuse their powers (I got that a lot for awhile).  As such, I'm starting a panel consisting of me, 2 admins, and 2 mods that will review bans when they are appealed by the users.  Here's how it will work.

If you feel the ban is unfair or arbitrary, then you let me or another admin know you want to appeal it.  The ban will be removed from you at that moment.  From there I will send out a notification to the rest of the panel to let them know.  The person who banned the user explains why he did it.  The user gets to explain their position.  The panel looks at the situation and rules from there.  If they rule the ban was worth it, you serve out your punishment.  If they decide it is not a legitimate ban, you don't serve the ban.  If it was OBVIOUS that you were wrong and that you are just wasting the time of the panel, you will serve the punishment out, as well as serve an additional time TBD by the panel (this is to keep every ban that is deserved from coming up to us for no reason other than you're upset about being banned).

00XJ

Re: Ban appeals
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:35:45 PM »
Sounds fair to me. At least this way, nobody can say that they didn't have a second chance, or a chance to clear up a communication issue.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »
How would this work with the "I DON'T LIKE YOU" bans?

Even though that rarely ever happens anymore, still, just to cover every base.

And would someone else be able to appeal another persons ban? Like, say, Meaty gets banned, could Nicky-boy up there appeal it?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:51:54 PM by revolt015 »

(⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »

Example? And by example, I want to know the user that it happened to and the situation.

1990 Talon TSi AWD | 2004 Impala SS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »

Even though that rarely ever happens anymore, still, just to cover every base.

And would someone else be able to appeal another persons ban? Like, say, Meaty gets banned, could Nicky-boy up there appeal it?

That would fit under arbitrary.

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
Depends on if Onyx, the two admins... and 2 mods dont like them either. :mrgreen:
And so people can breathe easier...
I am not on the panel. :P

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
That would fit under arbitrary.
I read every word in the OP but "arbitrary".

What about my question about appealing for others?

(⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
Depends on if Onyx, the two admins... and 2 mods dont like them either. :mrgreen:
And so people can breathe easier...
I am not on the panel. :P

Jim

:lol:  It was a voluntary panel.

Two admins: Kalgorn and Caryn
Two mods: dotCom and Rocket442

I'm on it as well.  So it's now set.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
I read every word in the OP but "arbitrary".

What about my question about appealing for others?

Why would you need to appeal for someone else?

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Why would you need to appeal for someone else?
Just for shits, I guess? If the banned guy doesn't know how to get in contact with you while banned, I guess.

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
Dude,  have seen you... I dont think you need to worry about using the words "Others" and "Appealing" in the same sentence... ;)

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
Just for shits, I guess?

So you're willing to risk that person having his/her ban lengthened if the panel finds the appeal to be frivolous?

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
Dude,  have seen you... I dont think you need to worry about using the words "Others" and "Appealing" in the same sentence... ;)

Jim
Single and not giving a single fuck mannnnn

Onyx, I'm not thinking my posts entirely through right now. :lol:

As for your question, it depends on who it is.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
I don't know. I think petitioning on someone else's behalf can speak to their credit if you've got a convincing argument, but it can also destroy someone and completely ruin their chances of getting back in. You don't want someone in appeals court trying to argue your case when they're not able to do the job, do you?

I've asked for two or three bans to be removed in my entire 10 years of ARdom, and I can imagine on every instance if I had gone at the situation like some of the people here do when they get hold of a topic they refuse to let go, that person not only would have been a permanent ban but I'd probably have gotten a boot in my own ass as well. I'm guilty of arguing until I'm blue in the face, but the most actively "bad" thing I ever did besides antagonizing Onyx about Chaos was making a FREE MEATY avatar. There are people here who I love dearly but god I would NOT want arguing with staff on my behalf. :lol:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:06:07 PM by dotCom »

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »
Ban the person appealing if his appeal is  just a waste of your time. :lol:

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
OR...how about don't get involved and let them take care of themselves?
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

00XJ

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
What about this, Onyx.. if someone gets banned for, let's say, arguing with an admin and pushing too far.. as opposed to an Ashe-level meltdown, if some members got together and petitioned that the ban be reconsidered, would you at least be willing to hear their case rather that just immediately shut out the idea?

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:46 PM »
OR...how about don't get involved and let them take care of themselves?
Just make sure the info you'll need to get in contact with Onyx to appeal the ban is there and my question is a non-issue~

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
What about this, Onyx.. if someone gets banned for, let's say, arguing with an admin and pushing too far.. as opposed to an Ashe-level meltdown, if some members got together and petitioned that the ban be reconsidered, would you at least be willing to hear their case rather that just immediately shut out the idea?

No.  I'm not willing to put someone else's ban on the extension/chopping block due to their friends.  If someone wants to appeal their ban, they can email me, or AIM me, or any other admin/mod.  From that point, they will be unbanned until the panel rules.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
Just make sure the info you'll need to get in contact with Onyx to appeal the ban is there and my question is a non-issue~

It doesn't have to be just me.  It can be any staff member.  Once someone finds out, then it's looked at.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
And I am pretty sure that as a guest you can view admin mod profiles. I am sure at least 1 of them has contact info up. I have Onyx's phone number...and Jim posts all his messengers and email. It wont be difficult for them to contact one of us.

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
Everytime I've been banned, the ban stuck if I tried logging out.

So in that case, let's hope whoever's banned isn't stupid enough to not know how to delete their cookies. :lol:

Or that they don't turn into me in the past half hour. Fuck.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »
I guess you can't be a guest when banned. People could try following the rules....then it is a null point...

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
Well, when someone is banned they can always be sent an e-mail letting them know how to get into contact with the people to inquire further.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Well, when someone is banned they can always be sent an e-mail letting them know how to get into contact with the people to inquire further.
Something like that is what I wanted.

Caryn: Well, if people did that, we wouldn't even need a ban appeal board unless Onyx is planning on bringing A-R into the Era of Arbitrariness. :lol: