Author Topic: External Hard Drive Issues  (Read 2031 times)

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
External Hard Drive Issues
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Ok, so I've been using an old, free to me, Apple Powermac G3 or G4 as my iTunes computer, and well...it seems like the video card or something is trying to shit out. It will maintain a signal at a really low resolution then get all blurry and and I lose picture. So I'm trying to figure out a way to just chunk this bitch, and avoid buying another Apple. Only problem seems to be my external hard drive that all my music is on. If I plug it into one of my Asus netbooks, I get all the all the info about USB mass storage device connected, hardware installed and ready for use etc, but...then when I go into Windows explorer I can't find the damn drive...does this have something to do with mapping since both of my Netbooks already have 2 drives in them? Like do I need to tell it to rename the external?
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: External Hard Drive Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
I'm assuming the external was used on the Mac? It has to do with the fact that the drive is formatted in the Mac file system and Windows can't read it. I believe there's a way to do it, but I'll let someone else chime in. You'll probably need to use a Linux bootCD to do it.

If this isn't the case, it could be drive mapping, but it seems unlikely. Right click on My Computer and hit Manage. Click on Disk Management. See if the drive shows up in the list. If it does, look at the drive letter that's mapped to it. It probably matches the letter of a current drive. Right-click on the drive and hit "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
Fuck I was hopping it wasn't some sort of Mac file formatting shit....my master plan was to free up as much disk space as possible on my old EEE and connect the drive to that and use it...maybe I can salvage an old video card from somewhere...but I'll try the mapping shit first. I was under the assumption that the files on the drive were just stored as MP3s, but I'm not sure if iTunes did something to them after the fact.

His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
I don't know 100%. You'd have to figure out what file system in which the drive is formatted. It looks like Mac OS can read FAT/FAT32/NTFS and can write to FAT/FAT32 so if the drive is formatted as one of those, it should show up in Windows just fine.

However, if you formatted the drive using the Mac, it's possible it was formatted into a Mac-only file system.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »
Hmmm, about to hook it up to my PC and try the mapping, then if that doesn't do anything I'm going to hook it up to my Mom's iMac and make sure that there isn't something worse going on, like the dying Mac corrupting the drive or something.

EDIT: From disk management I can see the damn drive...but its not letting me change the path, and it isn't showing the file format, which makes me think its some proprietary Mac bullshit...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:37:11 PM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
Dammit, it be Apple bullshit...gonna have to wait on someone that might know how to convert it to chime in, because I really would hate to lose around 100 gigs of music.

His name was Meatywand.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
There's a program called Macdrive that lets you go into a mac formatted hard drive and do whatever, but it's not free.

HFS explorer lets you look around on the drive but you have to convert each file if you wanna move it around, it's free but could take a while for a ton of music files.
http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

You won't be able to just change the formatting of the drive without wiping it in the process.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
Yeah I know, I checked on the other mac, the files themselves are still .mp3 extension, so it leads me to believe that maybe I could find a way to copy them off, then reformat the drive and dump them back on?

Obtained a copy of MacDrive....now I just need to figure out how I'm going to set all this up...wonder if my little 4gb Asus could handle running iTunes if its overclocked?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:10:38 PM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
What the fuck MacDrive....with it installed and activated, I still can't access the drive from a Windows machine, but all the files are there, and all nice and happy according to the other Mac in the house...I wonder what it would run me to just get the old Power Mac fixed and updated a little bit...

His name was Meatywand.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
Since Macs can create FAT/FAT32 partitions I'd copy all your files over to the other mac, format the drive as FAT or FAT32, and then copy them all back.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Yeah I thought about that, but theres not enough room on that ones hard drive :lol: I have way too much music :lol:

His name was Meatywand.

Mick

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:36:09 PM »
I got lucky and transferred all my music to my asus like one month before my external took a shit, only lost about 10-15 songs I had dl'ed in that time. I would have been furious if I hadn't. Which is why i wish you the best of luck getting all your stuff.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »
Well, worse come to worse I can try get another copy of that program that let you yank stuff off of iPods, but its a huge pain in the dick to do.

His name was Meatywand.