Author Topic: "Not So Fast and Furious, but not rice either" forum  (Read 16952 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: "Not So Fast and Furious, but not rice either" forum
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
o.O It's a 400+ HP daily driver that he tracks monthly and puts down damn good time with. I guess perhaps I'm a little confused as well.

Onyx never said that one shouldn't be there. That was strictly something that Scotty brought up and I'm not sure why.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:05 AM »
Oh, my bad. I was just incredibly confused.

Nick does bring a good point up, though - if that car were to not fit in that forum, where would it go? I didn't feel the need to post it in the lounge because it is a very car-centric post with videos and whatnot so I didn't think it was necessarily "Off Topic" material. I realize we have many forums, but perhaps we could broaden the RFATF slightly. It's Anti-Rice and Anti-Idiot, so I feel the promotion of (using Nick's post as an example) nice, clean cars that may attract certain viewers' appreciation would be okay.

Very rarely do I take his side but I do suspect if someone else had posted it there may not have been as much fallout. I'm not crusading on his behalf, I'm just saying he has a point that it would be nice if we could share things such as that without having to worry about them getting cluttered. I really do believe the Lounge is OFF TOPIC, so it does surprise me to see actual car-centric posts in there aside from the broad spectrum stuff we do.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

James

• Meh
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
That was strictly something that Scotty brought up and I'm not sure why.

There's nothing particularly striking about the car to be honest.  GT with bolt-ons doing what can be done by anyone these days.  Nothing against the car, just the context.  A 3/4-ton truck with a SFA swap got posted which are a dime-a-dozen.  Seems like people jumped on the 442 thread because of who posted, not what was posted.
Four boxes protect liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
There's nothing particularly striking about the car to be honest.  GT with bolt-ons doing what can be done by anyone these days.  Nothing against the car, just the context.  A 3/4-ton truck with a SFA swap got posted which are a dime-a-dozen.  Seems like people jumped on the 442 thread because of who posted, not what was posted.

And people have, for the longest time, posted LS1 cars with bolt-ons and a nice set of wheels. What's the problem? If you don't like it, stay out of the thread. Some people like it. Some don't. It's the wonderful ability to be able to form an opinion.

James

• Meh
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
I don't think bolt-on LS1 cars should be accepted either on the current precedence being set.  What's fast about a bolt-on LS1 F-body these days? Nothing. Nothing particularly notable anyway.  Which is the same argument against the 442 that was posted.  So where do you want to set a standard? Only members that are well liked get to post mediocre cars? 
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
I don't think bolt-on LS1 cars should be accepted either on the current precedence being set.  What's fast about a bolt-on LS1 F-body these days? Nothing. Nothing particularly notable anyway.  Which is the same argument against the 442 that was posted.  So where do you want to set a standard? Only members that are well liked get to post mediocre cars? 

Does it have mad CI or just too much boost for human contemplation? If it's cool, post it here!

Are you asking me personally where the standard should be or is it just a broad question for the thread?

Personally, I think the 442, bolt-on Mustang, bolt-on LS1, whatever should be posted. It would get more traffic (or at least help to prevent less traffic) into the already barely used forum.

As I said above, if you don't like it, don't go into the thread.

James

• Meh
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
I'm not the one you need to tell to stay out of threads I don't like.  Also, you just summed up the rest of my observation quite well.  Since it's up to the individual on what defines "cool" that really should have been the threshold for judgment. Others have posted vehicles that aren't particularly fast but it was obviously an example of the particular subject that person has enthusiasm for. This case was no different.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »
Well I'm certainly glad I'm not alone in this, and others have made my point better than I ever could.

Again I'll point out that TRF&F forum was created as an alternative to Spy Photos, because once upon a time, Spy Photos is all we had, then someone got the idea "Hmm, what about cars on the other end of the spectrum?" and created The Real Fast and Furious.

The title was a joke. The title was created during a time when the Fast and Furious movies were the inspiration for a solid majority of ricers (which no longer seems to be the case), and I seriously doubt whoever came up with that forum title intended it to be taken so damned literally.

As long as that forum has existed, there have been many cars posted in it that were not particularly fast or furious in any way, but were lovingly restored, or cars that survived decades of use and were mostly all original.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
It doesn't matter what the original creator thought or intended.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »

This is how religions start genocide.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
I'm not the one you need to tell to stay out of threads I don't like.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Me telling you to stay out of threads you don't like was just a suggestion. It's not a rule. You're more than welcome to peruse threads that you disagree with. And you're more than welcome to put forth your opinion as long as it stays within the boundaries of the rules. Don't like the car someone posted in TRF&F? Tell them. However, your opinion will be met with others.

James

• Meh
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Meaning you are giving that advice to someone who's followed that line on these boards since around 2003.

Don't like the car someone posted in TRF&F? Tell them. However, your opinion will be met with others.

If I didn't like the car posted I wouldn't waste my time clicking on the Reply button in the thread.  Seems a good method to keep things civil in the long run which is why I practice it.  What happened in the 442 thread was little beyond just simple posturing of opinions though.  Seems the majority feel the same now.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Then why keep the title and description put in place when it was originally created? :lol:
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
This is how religions start genocide.

And that has so much to do with this forum.  Now you're being stupid.  AR isn't the AR from before.  That administration holds no sway and no power over this one.  What was done then and the intent then has no bearing in any way, shape, or forum over the way site proceeds anymore.  This discussion is over.

Then why keep the title and description put in place when it was originally created? :lol:

Dude, seriously, shut the fuck up.