Author Topic: Smartphone Warning  (Read 5274 times)

Maverick

• Beast Within
Smartphone Warning
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
An increasing amount of us users are getting smartphones with the capability of using AR, and use it for just that.

Couple problems I've run into so far;

1) Huge fucking images. Phones dont like them.

2) Big sig images. Works great on a 1920x1080 screen, but scale much larger on my android. How do iphones fare with this?

3) Download speeds vary by area, provider and plan. Only problem you run into are images that can take quite a long time to load up. My network, for instance, sometimes I don't always get HSDPA+ (4g), and I am given an EDGE (3g) signal. During these times of duress, a lighter load can help my AR experience, and in turn help others out too.

What I propose;

1) Using SMF, limit image sizes to 800px wide and 1500 pixels tall. If you link a larger image, it scales it automatically. It's not that hard of a fix.

2) Open a forum on sig image sizes to see what we can all agree on and enforce it.

3) 56k warnings are now completely dated. I suggest a '3G warning' or whatever.

That is all. Any thoughts?

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

speedy_2

Re: Smartphone Warning
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
Wow. This is like a step backwards. lol

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
You can turn off avatars and sigs in your user profile.

I have no problem with limiting to 800x600 like it used to be but, to me, 800x600 is just so old tech that it seems sad.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

speedy_2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
Yeah.  I used to size images in photoshop to 800x600 for the web.  But now, it just seems so small. 

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
You can turn off avatars and sigs in your user profile.

I have no problem with limiting to 800x600 like it used to be but, to me, 800x600 is just so old tech that it seems sad.

The image size restriction also coincides with netbooks/laptops. Not everyone has a 1080p panel.

Just my two cents.

Wow. This is like a step backwards. lol

A handheld computer that is smaller than a hot pocket with a 1ghz processor?

Yeah, totally backward. :>

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
So what about those of us with large size monitors, we should have to squint to accomodate those who browse on handhelds?

Some sites have thumbnail features where every image will show up as a 300x300 or so thumbnail, and you click on it for the full size image. Maybe that's a better option.

speedy_2

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
The image size restriction also coincides with netbooks/laptops. Not everyone has a 1080p panel.

Just my two cents.

A handheld computer that is smaller than a hot pocket with a 1ghz processor?

Yeah, totally backward. :>

I wasn't saying the technology of a smart phone was a step backwards.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
I wasn't saying the technology of a smart phone was a step backwards.

I was being sarcastic. :-)

Started a poll in the lounge. Lets see what the tally is.

http://anti-rice.com/smf/index.php?topic=3229.0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:18:58 PM by wicho »

speedy_2

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
Hmm.  Good idea for a poll for sure.

angelis83lt

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »
Why not just have a separate theme / layout for mobile devices if possible that would allow the images sizes to be scaled for mobile devices where they would not be for other devices?

I know it is possible in other forum software, so perhaps it is something to see if it is possible with SMF.

That would pretty much eliminate the issue of making global settings for all users, and allow a set of mobile settings (Again if possible in SMF)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »
I'm sorry, but those are steps backwards.  I'm not at all for such a move.  I have a laptop that isn't HD and I have one that has HD on an LED monitor.  No difference in images at all.  My iphone has no problems with larger images.  It simply scales them down to the screen size.  

While a lot of people use their phones for web now, the majority use their computers for it.  When I am out and about travelling, I use my iphone to check in on AR and give updates to my journey.  When I am not out and about I use my PCs.  I suspect most people do this as well.  I'm not at all for toning down the forum so that people who don't have access to a PC at that moment can navigate more easily.  The numbers are still heavily in favor of people with PCs...or Macs...don't want to leave them out or they'll get their feelings hurt :lol:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:31:25 AM by Onyx Dragon »

speedy_2

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
Basically my thoughts.  It's like making ALL parking spots only big enough for Smart cars. 

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:33 AM »
We already have rules for signature and avatar sizing/mass; I would definitely suggest turning them off when you're browsing from your phone. A lot of people run that way if they browse at work, too. I always forget that feature is there.

I do agree about the image sizing; some websites will scale images down automatically and then you can click it for the larger version. I don't know how you'd make the site do that, but I think some hosting sites will do it for you.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
We already have rules for signature and avatar sizing/mass; I would definitely suggest turning them off when you're browsing from your phone. A lot of people run that way if they browse at work, too. I always forget that feature is there.

I do agree about the image sizing; some websites will scale images down automatically and then you can click it for the larger version. I don't know how you'd make the site do that, but I think some hosting sites will do it for you.

IIRC, SMF has a setting for that.  I'll start poking around to see if I can find it.

Rocket 442

• Global Moderator
    • Staple Creative
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
IIRC, SMF has a setting for that.  I'll start poking around to see if I can find it.
Its in each users Profile Options.

They just need to go to Profile > Look & Layout Preferences, then find the 2 checkboxes that say "Don't Show user Avatars" and "Don't Show user Signatures". That will however do it for both when they're viewing it on their phone/handheld and a computer.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »

They just need to go to Profile > Look & Layout Preferences, then find the 2 checkboxes that say "Don't Show user Avatars" and "Don't Show user Signatures". That will however do it for both when they're viewing it on their phone/handheld and a computer.

No. He's talking about auto image scaling that turns linked images (over a certain size) into smaller clickable links.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »

I meant image sizing