Author Topic: Restoring Wifi  (Read 1551 times)

Rammstein4Ever

Restoring Wifi
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
My GF's little brother went ape shit and hit all the keys on the laptop... some how disabled wifi.  Tried to hit Fn + F2 to restore it, and nothing happens... tried to restart the computer and it is still off.  The computer is a dell inspiron 6400.  The computer says to use the key combination or hit the switch to enable it.  As far as I know the computer has no physical switch.

speedy_2

Re: Restoring Wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »
Is there a light on it that shows that the Wi-fi is on?  If it is on, is it blue or orange?  Usually blue means enabled, orange means disabled.  I wonder if the light changes with FN + F2?  But, maybe it's still not enabling?  Maybe try going to device manager and uninstall it and let it reinstall after a reboot.  See what happens.

handle

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »
Open Device Manager.

Right-click the network adapter and then click on diagnose.

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
I got annoyed, and system restored, the light for the wife  was off btw.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
There very well may be a physical switch on the laptop, but it's not going to be hidden.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angelis83lt

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
Those actually do not have a physical switch. The switch was the FN+F2.  If you are hitting the switch and the Wifi light is not coming back on, perhaps there is something in the bios that disabled it? As it should enable without windows even being loaded.

You could always test booting it into a different O/S (make yourself a ubuntu livecd or install ubuntu on a 4gb flash drive. (I would personally do it on an 8GB flash drive myself, but the 4GB works as well).

Boot it up, and see if it enables. Worth a shot anyhow.

Or, did you mean that the system restore fixed the issue?

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
Yeah I went to a restore point that was earlier in the day and it fixed it... I'm not sure what buttons the two year old hit that turned it off.