Author Topic: Beer infused mac'n'cheese  (Read 398 times)

UberWasser

Beer infused mac'n'cheese
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »
I don't know about all of you, but my second favorite comfort foods is home-made mac'n'cheese. Until recently my favorite recipe was one of Martha Stewart's...basically just a mountain of cheddar and Parmesan cheese plus milk, butter and pasta.

Well, my world has been turned upside-down. I found a recipe for mac'n'cheese with all sorts of great cheeses plus...beer! My first favorite comfort food :lol: so a marriage of the stars, really. Plus this one is actually much easier to make.

Here we go (I have underlined the important measurements so you don't confuse them with TBSP, TSP, or other sissy stuff like that):

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups of half-and-half
1/2 cup beer, amber ale or other...I had Alaskan Amber in the fridge so viola, that's what went in.
1/2 pound brie, chopped into small slices
1 pound cream cheese
1/4 pound gorgonzola, crumbled
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 pound Parmesan cheese, shredded, with 1/2 cup set aside for later
1 lb of pasta, penne is what I used, cooked and drained ahead of time
Salt & pepper
A few pinches of chili powder and a pinch of nutmet (my own addition)

Start with a heavy bottomed medium pot. Melt the butter over medium heat being careful not to let it brown. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk for 1 minute. Then, slowly whisk in the half-and-half and the beer.

Then, add the cream cheese and the brie to the pot. Stir while the cheese melts, and keep stirring until it's incorporated. Then, add the gorgonzola, cheddar, and all but 1/2 cup of the Parmesan.

Once the cheese melts most of the way, add the pasta to the pot and fold it into the sauce. Add pepper and salt to taste, as well as any other spices desired.

Pour the whole mix into a 13x9 baking dish. This brie gives the mac'n'cheese a good bit of oil so it's not necessary to grease the pan but you could if you want more butter!. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top.

Toss this all into a 375* oven for about 40 minutes or until the top begins to brown nicely. Take it out and let it cool for 5 minutes or so before digging in.

As amazing as it was, I have a few ideas for next time...I'm thinking whole wheat pasta for some more texture and flavor, and a stronger tasting beer like an imperial stout.