Author Topic: Post your worst vehicle!  (Read 9209 times)

Johnny Butt

• Ask me about my will to survive.
Post your worst vehicle!
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
Kinda a spinoff thread... I'm sure everyone has had one car/truck that they HATED owning..

For me, it was my busted-ass old 1994 Cavalier Z24.  It was ESPECIALLY bad because it was largely just a winter beater, but I hated it nonetheless.  This car had no redeeming features whatsoever.  The sound of a 60*V6 engine makes my skin crawl... I can't stand the tone.  The interior was cramped, the turn signal levers were in the wrong goddamn spot, the window winder would hit your left leg if you didn't press your legs together when rolling the window down.  The seat was uncomfortable.  The steering wheel stuck too far into the cabin, while the pedals always felt like they were too close to the firewall.  You had no choice but to lean back when driving.  The side-view mirrors were too small.  The stupid luggage rack spoiler on the truck made rear-view mirror vision like looking through a chain link fence.

It handled like a shopping cart. It felt heavy in every aspect.  The nose dived like a European soccer player when you were doing anything other than light braking, the ass end squatted like a dog with worms when you popped the throttle.  The suspension wasn't that worn out on this car... the previous owner had done front struts and rear springs on the car about a year before I got it.  It was more like they made the springs too soft from the factory.  Being a Cavalier, the rear brakes liked to lock up.  Especially in the snow, which was exciting.  

Being a Z24 equipped with the 3.1, it did have quite a bit of go.  However, the fear of not being able to turn or stop and anything faster than a snail's pace was enough to make you not want to ever unleash the beast.  And by beast, I mean the manliest of the ladies.

I drove it for four months, and got rid of it.  I hated every second of ownership of that car.

I HAD pictures of it at one point... I think during ownership I even made a MM thread for it. It was lost in one of the crashes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:23:26 PM by Johnny Butt »

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Re: Post your worst vehicle!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:06:27 PM »
Definitely my Caddy.

4.1 Litre of Doom. Terrible gas mileage, it was slower than all hell, rode decent but handled like crap, and the sun roof didn't work until the day I sold it when the dent in the room suddenly and randomly popped out, allowing the sun roof to retract.

Mick

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »

92' jetta, complete and utter pile of shit. Had al kinds of electrical gremlins, one of the doors you could only unlock from the inside, one you could only unlock with the key(lock it as well) And one of the doors just wouldn't open. About a month or two after having it, the pushrod in the trans decided to punch a whole through the pressure plate. ended up just scrapping the thing.

Gremlin

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »

Toyota Tacoma Lemon by Gremlin72, on Flickr
Toyota Tacoma X-runner. The truck had serious electrical issues. Puget Sound Toyota deanships had attitude issues. Mix those two factors with a Military schooled jew, you have problems.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »

My Toyota is pretty close with all it's fluid leaks and nonworking parts but it has less rust. I traded a Nintendo DS Lite for that thing.. pretty good trade since it kept running until I sold it. The floorboards were nearly gone, one good stomp would have ended them.

stig

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
My '99 Saab 9-3.

Got it with 3 cylinders and the intent of flipping it to get a Saab that contained both a turbo and the correct number of pedals. Fixed it, couldn't even come close to selling it. In under a year and like 9k miles, the fucking thing about drove me out of Saabs. Every time I fixed one thing, some other major part would fail. I put 2 front main seals, serp belt/tensioner, ignition switch, lots of electrical shit, exhaust (repeatedly), etc. When I finally gave up it needed a turbo, water pump, power steering pump, alternator, battery, rear main seal, struts, brakes all around, outer tie rod, there was some ugly rust starting in the pass. strut tower...
Complicate and add torque steer.

logikfive

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
1997 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 3400 (swapped)

Every time I turned around it needed something. When I got it, I did LIM gaskets (leaking coolant into the oil) had a P0102 issue that I could NOT resolve. I really suspected a broken wire, but I couldn't find it. One day the issue went away and the car was fine for 6k miles. Then the camshaft broke cruising down the thruway at 70mph, 2400rpm. That was the last time I drove the car on the road.

Swapped in a new engine (cam broke at a location that stopped the oilpump, so I didn't want to risk replacing it and have it not fix the whole problem) then back came the P0102 issue. Couldn't get rid of that fucker at all.

Sold the car.

GTR

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
this  thread would no be complete without me posting by far the worst vehicle ever convieved.

my 1997 land rover discovery. I made a mistake, it was in the back of someones garage, and up on jack stands, it had been there for two years and i thought fuck why not, first it started out only needing a front swivel joint and a battery to get it 100% operational again. it had basically no floor, the wind would come up and push the floor matts up so i doubled up on them to try and help. I planned on fixing it but never fully inspected the truck upon purchase. I never noticed the rear body mounts were completely rotted off and the truck was a write off at only 240,000kms.

I kid you know this truck leaked every fluid it owned no exceptions. engine oil, coolant, power steering, brake fluid, front diff rear diff transfer case and transmission fluid. only thing it held onto was washer fluid.

It was suppose to be a weekend job to get it back up to driveable condition for the drive home it took months. i got the swivel ball from a friend, swapped it in and a new battery, wouldnt start and pissed gas, turns out the sending unit lines were completely rotted. dropped 265 bucks on one from the uk that took 3 weeks to arrive and later found out was defective and over heated. While swapping it brake line snapped, then changed it another line blew trying to bleed, then another then another eventually we had brand new lines front to back. tried to start it, starter blew out from sitting too long. got  it rebuilt and re installed finially got it running.

On the day to take it home a transmission line blew and leaked tranny fluid onto the cat, great smell. Said fuck it topped it up and hit the road 30 mins later the tranny fluid mixed with all the dead dry grass from the lawn mower going by plus what ever so happened to be living it it caught fire and a motorist flagged me down and alerted me to the flames, i quickly extinguished them. then got home. the truck stalled out at my house and wouldnt re start finially got it to start and it was pissing tranny fluid, i ordered new lines from atlantic british, along with other crap and swapped it all over, a true night mare to change, but it was fixed drove it around for another two weeks, while in the bush got stuck and ripped more break lines from under the truck, fixed that, then on a trail ride died completely in the middle of no where, i was pissed, by fluke got it running raced it through the trail to the road and called a tow truck. i was fed up and towed it home to park it, next day went to go move it into storage and the transmission locked up internally and now it sits stuck in drive key in the ignition waiting for the day i get another cleaner un abused one for the parts. amazing truck off road terrible at everyting.

was good at one thing though making me laugh
I used to be G.T.S-T
You should have shit in your hand and threw it at him.

Rocket 442

• Global Moderator
    • Staple Creative
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
Definitely my Caddy.

I thought for sure you'd say the Aurora that you owned for a few minutes and returned :lol:

Mine would have to be a 94 Achieva that I had for a few weeks in winter just to get by when i was in High School.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6. I bought the car with 60k miles on it in 2009, from a used car dealer in eastern Iowa.  This car looked good, and sounded insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6cIZ44PWOE

I found out fairly quickly that this used car dealer is shady as hell, and that Iowa has some of the loosest used car buyers' rights in the country. Within a week of my driving it, it developed timing chain rattle. The dealer told me to screw off and lawyers told me I don't have a case. 8,000 miles after I bought it, the timing chain sheered the teeth off one of the upper timing gears. ...Sheered the teeth off a gear. It was rounded. I was so far into the loan I had no choice but to pay it off. $4370 and ONE MONTH later, I'm back on the road and the car runs (and sounds) like it's brand new. I drove the hell out of it for the next six months, incurring a front wheel bearing replacement ($200) and an antenna base ($40), then this happened:

I walked away, car was obviously totaled. Got a check for $1000 more than I paid for it, but my god I was so glad it was gone. What a horrendous bad luck magnet.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »
Piece of SHIT 1985 Chevrolet Celebrity.

Sentry

• I'm going nowhere fast...
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »

92 Aristo - Borg S366, QSV, AEM V2, 12 psi - 410whp 360ftlbs
84 SVO - FMIC, straight piped, chipped/tuned LB3, 15 psi - 202whp 238ftlbs

Sponty

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »
My worst car was my '95 Firebird with the 3.4l V6. This car is the reason I freaking hate 4th gens. Shitty engine placement, cheap ass interior, FUCKING PLASTIC HEADLIGHT GEARS! Never again.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:39:35 PM by Sponty »

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »
Worst car I owned was a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am.  3.1 V6.
Traded it in 120K miles.  It had a new motor, and it was on its 3rd transmission.  Second one lasted all of 35K miles.

Been blessed with the current Grand Am though.
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
Definitely my 2002 Dodge Neon.

When I first bought it, it was great, for about a week. Unbeknownst to me it was owned by someone on a dirt road who never took care of it. Little shit just started going wrong. It started to develop the ill-fated piston slap. Couple weeks later it was just slightly knocking at higher RPM's, and I was about to shell out a couple grand for a new motor. That is until a bitch on a cell phone wasn't paying attention and....

Couldn't have been a better day in my life when State Farm called me and told me it was a total loss. Sent me the check and I was on my way :lol:
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
1999 Chevy S10 - 5spd

Mr.Saab

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 05:28:21 PM »
2001 Aurora. Worst car ever. Bitch was out to get me. I still get pissed thinking about it.

Coiled

• Bi-Polar? The Earth is bi-polar!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 10:08:11 AM »
1985 Honda CRX HF, this car ran well but did not have the power to get the hell out of the way of traffic.  Parts were expensive, and it was so rusted body panels did want to stay on the vehicle.  The insurance was horrible for the vehicle as well, the insurance company considered it a sports car...I mean it did have 58hp wtf!!!!

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
I tend to hang on to vehicles and try to get good ones, so my worst vehicle is not bad at all. In fact, I still own it.

1992 Jeep Comanche
Bought it as a rust free truck to find out the doors, floors, rockers, cab corners and bed were shot. Some time ago the rust was covered up with bondo and painted. The bench seat was flat and I would get a spring up my ass every day. If I drove it down a damp road the interior would get covered in road grime. The motor, front and rear pinions and t-case leaked.

Love that truck which is why she has been stripped to the uni-body shell and getting a make over. Hope to make it my 'best' vehicle.

gregariousgreg

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
2001 GMC Jimmy.  It wasn't horrible and it was great in the snow and ok off road, which is why I bought it since I was going to college in eastern Washington.  It had electrical problems (which left me stranded on the side of the road on one occasion), a typical shoddy GM interior and a fuel gauge that made you just guess for the last 1/4 tank.

wantahertzdonut

• You won't like me when I'm hungry.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:29 AM »
My Subaru.  It's been a lemon since day one when my dad bought it brand new in 95.  It took him 11 years before he figured out what the problem was (the entire brake system).  Since then it's developed a bunch of leaks, brake pads rust to the caliper rendering them useless, and the usual Subaru wheel bearings.  But the worst of it is the rust protection.  You'd think a car marketed to the winter sport crowd (including direct marketing to Ski Patrollers) would have some sort of rust protection.  Not this car.  Fenders are bad, quarters aren't great, but the doors, holy crap, the passenger rear door was completely rotted out after a couple years.  The others aren't too far behind.  Also, every hard line is coroded, many which have been replaced, but fuck is it a pain in the ass.

I look forward to replacing it.

BUT

This car has nothing on my girlfriend's old Lumina.  While not my car, I lost plenty of blood on the thing thanks to the hours I spent working on it.  EVERYTHING went wrong on that pile of shit.  Every Lumina should have come straight off the assembly line and went straight into the shredder.  The engineering and management staff behind the Lumina should be shot.  I get pretty attached to cars I own or do work on for friends, but I have never been so happy to see a car sell in my life when that shitbomb left my driveway for the last time.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:15:29 PM by wantahertzdonut »
Why do the loudest stereos belong to those with the worst taste in music?

Coiled

• Bi-Polar? The Earth is bi-polar!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »
1999 Mazda/Mercury Cougar this car is the ultimate pile of crap, has gone through multiple alternators because someone decided the bottom side of the engine is a fabulous place for a piece of electronic equipment that would constantly get soaked in water while driving.  Wiring harness for power window switches is corroded the only way to fix this is rewire in a new pig tail.  Windows are off the tracks because of shit tastic power window motor giving out.  I hate this fucking car.

PileDriver

• Drivin' piles
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 01:22:20 AM »
1993 Chevy Lumina Euro. I got it for free, which was great. I used it as a DD when I all I had was my Suburban. It was great at first, but slowly everything about that car began to annoy the ever living crap out of me. I didn't even want to demo it, I sold it to a guy for $200 who did that for me.  :lol:

Grim91Z

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »
My 72 Caddy. After 50 miles it decided to jump timing. Couldn't turn the dizzy (rusted to the block). Junked.
Formerly DoD.

mort1369

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
. . .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:17:08 PM by mort1369 »

THUMPER20X

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
No pics, but definitely the 1995 Mustang GT. Handled like shit, no balls and broke down 10 times in 3 months, tows and all. Worst.