Author Topic: virus question  (Read 2745 times)

mopar10

virus question
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
Windows 7
so, I was happily browsing the internets when my computer informed me that it was being raped by viruses. the security system said it was affected, so I'm pretty sure It didnt stop them from getting in. The computer is okay now, but probably not for long.
I have an anti spyware program (webroot) but it's the cheapest one they have.

So what is the best course of action in this situation?
Thanks in advance.
Quote from: LeoTheLion89
i NEVER said i changed the plugs i aint dont that i cant afford to have it looked at all i know is it is misfiring

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: virus question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
Scan, Scan, Scan...and make sure they aren't actually trojans that have gotten into your computers guts. I had a few of those sneak in a while back (XP though) and it took me a while to actually kill them.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »
Download spybot:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html

Download adaware:
http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Internet-Security/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Download AVG:
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801

After those are done, installed, and updated, disconnect your computer from the web.  Run spybot's full scan, fix errors, then reboot.  Run adaware's full scan, fix errors, then reboot.  Run AVG's full scan, fix errors, then reboot.

How people manage to still get viruses is beyond me. :lol:

FrameScrapist

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
How people manage to still get viruses is beyond me. :lol:

My old lady's computer just got infected by some shit that posed as a "fake" anti-virus.
I asked her if she installed it and she said "I think it came with my computer" the program was called system tools 2011.
Then I realized she had no anti virus, so I went out to the store and bought mcafee.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
My old lady's computer just got infected by some shit that posed as a "fake" anti-virus.
I asked her if she installed it and she said "I think it came with my computer" the program was called system tools 2011.
Then I realized she had no anti virus, so I went out to the store and bought mcafee.

Why? McAfee costs money, the scan time is brutally slow, and it hogs system resources at all times causing your computer to run like shit. AVG is free, scans are relatively quick, and you won't even notice it running in the background.

Do not spend money on anti-virus.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

FrameScrapist

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »
Why? McAfee costs money, the scan time is brutally slow, and it hogs system resources at all times causing your computer to run like shit. AVG is free, scans are relatively quick, and you won't even notice it running in the background.

Do not spend money on anti-virus.

It was a whopping $25.00.
As far as system resources it runs just fine, and its set up to scan overnight when she's not even using the computer anyway.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
It was a whopping $25.00.
As far as system resources it runs just fine, and its set up to scan overnight when she's not even using the computer anyway.

Trust me. There is a difference.

For some reason, University of Florida uses McAfee as their virus scan of choice. It costs them loads of money every year and it's a big piece of shit. It hogs resources like no other. Every day around 5:20pm, my computer goes into this complete slow down mode for about 10 minutes as the automated virus scan starts. It's garbage.

Again, why pay for something inferior when you can get a better product for free?

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

mopar10

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
thanks a ton angry hampster, downloadding those now

Quote from: LeoTheLion89
i NEVER said i changed the plugs i aint dont that i cant afford to have it looked at all i know is it is misfiring

handle

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »

That shit is really easy to remove. My brother and my brother in law have both had their computers infected with that program.

FrameScrapist

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
That shit is really easy to remove. My brother and my brother in law have both had their computers infected with that program.

Yeah it only took like 10 minutes to remove all the stuff it downloaded.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
thanks a ton angry hampster, downloadding those now

No prob. Let us know how it goes.