Author Topic: Android rooting.  (Read 1265 times)

ling427ttvette

Android rooting.
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
Sorry if The Lounge isn't the right place, but this isn't really Comp Tech because it's technically not a computer.

For starters, I have a Motorola Droid running 2.2.1

I've been looking around at rooting tutorials, trying to do a little research at xda-developers, and it seems they have done a lot of pruning or something and I'm really not getting much information. There are just a couple of threads about it.

I'm not even sure I want to root, I'm just trying to find the major advantages to having a rooted phone over stock. I know there's not a whole lot of Android users here, but has anyone messed with rooting? Know much about it?

The part I'm most confused with are the kernels and ROMS, how the hell do I know which one to pick? What one is better than the other? Do I HAVE to choose one if I root?

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: Android rooting.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
I suggest reading at least part of this thread on SA:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561

VERY informative and there is a small section in the OP for the droid. 

I don't have any first-hand information as it's something I'm a bit timid to do on my Optimus S.  However, that thread has a ton of good info.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
If it's a tech related question it goes in comp tech

ling427ttvette

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Well, finally did it. Used a program called Super One Click, literally a one click rooting program. Worked like a charm for my Moto Droid.

First time I did it, I decided I wanted to try CyanogenMod 6.2.1, which I was going to flash to the phone directly from ROM manager, and I got stuck on a boot loader screen for CyanogenMod. Ended up having to wipe the whole phone which got it to work, but CyanogenMod didn't have the Market. So I flashed back to stock after messing around for a few hours trying to get the market and other apps that I needed. I never figured it out, it was late at night and I was tired.

Re-rooted it again finally the other night. Sticking with a stock ROM and kernel, just using Launcher Pro Plus as a home screen replacement and it's great.

Since root, I've found a few apps that I LOVE.

Wireless Tether - Just as it sounds, I can now use my phone as a mobile hot-spot. Tried it out using my laptop and it was surprisingly fast and worked very well.

SetCPU - Overclocking/underclocking app. You can set certain profiles, so you can have your phone run at different speeds while charging, while running on battery, it also has a fail safe so if your phone battery or CPU temp gets to hot, it will switch to a low speed profile to cool it off.

AdFree - Just as its titled, no more ads.

QuickBoot - One click restarting, restarting into recovery and what not. Very handy.

ShootMe - Capture screen shots of any screen on your phone.

Dual Mount SD - Dual mounts the SD card when you are transferring files from your computer to phone. You can view your sd card from your phone and computer at the same time. Normally, when you turn file sharing on it unmounts the sd card from your phone and only lets your computer read the sd card, so you have to turn file sharing off, let the sd remount and then you can go in and view the sd card files again.

Titanium Backup - A very good program for backing up your apps.