Author Topic: Interesting things made with PVC pipe?  (Read 5005 times)

Moshkenstein

Interesting things made with PVC pipe?
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »
A co-worker and I were talking about things we could make with PVC pipe. Basic, but interesting things. He has a bunch of tools to recreate some of the things we've seen around the internets (like a canoe, greenhouse, furnature, water pump, etc).

Anyone ever made anything interesting from PVC pipes or any interesting ideas? We were thinking of making something as kind of a part time hobby. He suggested a go kart frame but I quickly talked him out of it.  :lol:

speedy_2

Re: Interesting things made with PVC pipe?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
I have seen some pretty powerful potato canons. :lol:

Moshkenstein

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »

Yeah but I don't want to build something thats just going to get me in trouble.  :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • Meatyworld
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »
I made a pipe bomb once...
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

jeepidude

• Kia Dude
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »
I miss mine  :(

You can build pretty much anything with pipe.. I've even seen roll cages built out of the metal variety. I wouldn't recommend that though  :lol:

Shelves are pretty simple to make..

More like Geodude amirite?

Moshkenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
I already thought about making furnature but I couldnt use any of it myself. My girlfriend is already too damn picky with what furnature we have.

Laptop stand is interesting. http://www.instructables.com/image/F9ZHSE2RELEP27SNOE/PVC-Laptop-Stand.jpg

I'd just have to fidn some way to paint or disguise it so it doesnt look like PVC pipe.

AMC

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
I made a frame with which you could attach your video game steering wheel and pedals to.  It slid partially under the and against the front of the couch, and held the pedals so they wouldn't move.  It was fully adjustable and everything.  You could even use it as an inefficiently large dinner tray. It got a lot of use when GT4 first came out when my friends would all play.  I left it at my mothers house a while back and it probably disappeared on a bulk trash day, no doubt.  The thing was awesome.

speedy_2

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »

I'd just have to fidn some way to paint or disguise it so it doesnt look like PVC pipe.

Spray-on truck bed liner. :)

Moshkenstein

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:42:21 PM »
I was thinking of something a bit extreme, like an exoskeleton and decorate it to look like a transformer.  :lol:

GooneyBird

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »
I've copied the Drumbone from the Blue Man Group. Bitch to tune, impossible to play solo. (Even though mine was like, half-scale, it still was an unwieldy device)

If you have no idea what a Drumbone is, click here
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

wicho

• Beast Within
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
I was thinking of something a bit extreme, like an exoskeleton and decorate it to look like a transformer.  :lol:

Sculpt art.

It just has to serve absolutely no purpose. Could be fucking cool.

If you want to be happy, become the guy you tell girls you are when you are trying to fuck them. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kwhit10

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
Take a pipe shove it up your ass, let a gerbil crawl in, proceed to enjoy.

jeepidude

• Kia Dude
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
It just has to serve absolutely no purpose.

Why?

wicho

• Beast Within
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 05:53:58 PM »
Art is characterized for its lack of serving a usable function. Heres a thought experiment to clarify what I mean:

A cup or vase, which can be used as a container, may be considered art if it used solely as an ornament. While a painting may be deemed a craft if mass-produced.

If you watch enough Top Gear, you will hear Jeremy Clarkson mention a car being beautiful yet cant be considered art because it is a machine. Its body lines are for aerodynamic purposes and is a essentially a machine with no moving parts (ACTIVE AERO, LOL).

So it is generally accepted hthat art serves absolutely no utility or purpose other than provoking emotion and aesthetics. This is a giant gray area with lines to be crossed and artists tend to do this often. This is why people talk about artists selling out and their artistry turns into a craft rather than stand alone art.

I think I opened a can of worms here.

If you want to be happy, become the guy you tell girls you are when you are trying to fuck them. - Friedrich Nietzsche

AMC

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »
Ah, but art can be therapeutic to both an artist and the viewer/listener.

*pipe*

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:09:54 PM »
Beer pong ball cleaner?  I had a sketch to make one awhile back but it's been lost in the process of moving 3 times.  PLus, you have to have a beer pong table and a want to not have water cups anymore...  Shit, you could make the whole table frame out of PVC and just cover it with a sheet of plywood...

Gremlin

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
I employed a ricer who made a fake roll cage  with PVC pipe for his "tuner" Civic

Sharp

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 01:36:02 AM »
I work with it every day, so a lot of interesting ideas have crossed my mind.... :lol:

One thing I want to do is to take about as many expandable repair couplings as I can get a hold of (url=http://reticonline.com.au/cw135/images/large/slipfix_LRG.jpg]these things[/url]), stick them all together, make some way of compressing them all together in one big motion, and see how far I can shoot a plug.

If you're really bored and have $10 to waste, grab 2 or 3 of those things, glue them together, glue a cap on one end, and buy a handful of plugs for the other end. You can shoot the plugs pretty far, depending on how many couplers you have.

PVC playhouses are pretty neat... You can make large ones pretty cheap using tarps as walls and a roof. 

jeepidude

• Kia Dude
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:42 AM »
Art is characterized for its lack of serving a usable function. Heres a thought experiment to clarify what I mean:

A cup or vase, which can be used as a container, may be considered art if it used solely as an ornament. While a painting may be deemed a craft if mass-produced.

If you watch enough Top Gear, you will hear Jeremy Clarkson mention a car being beautiful yet cant be considered art because it is a machine. Its body lines are for aerodynamic purposes and is a essentially a machine with no moving parts (ACTIVE AERO, LOL).

So it is generally accepted hthat art serves absolutely no utility or purpose other than provoking emotion and aesthetics. This is a giant gray area with lines to be crossed and artists tend to do this often. This is why people talk about artists selling out and their artistry turns into a craft rather than stand alone art.

I think I opened a can of worms here.

You gotta remember that Clarkson is a TV personality and not an expert on art :lol:

As a former studio art/graphic design double major I can tell you that art generally isn't defined with such narrow parameters.. That line you speak of is crossed so often that it's an invalid method of judging whether it's art or not. Art is highly subjective as well... Clarkson may fee that a car technically isn't art, but the designer certainly doesn't feel that way right along with most of the actual owners.

That's enough derailment for me... this would make a good debacle topic if anyone wants to pursue it.

Delta

• OMG VDUB
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
We made a potato cannon out of some 6" and 4" Schedule 40 pipe at work once. Used some Xylene as fuel; that fucker would shoot anything far :lol:

2008 VW Jetta SE - 2.5 5cyl - 5 Speed Manual

TheBlackShed

• Bunny in Bag
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
There was an SRT-4 that used it as IC piping a few years ago when his FMIC got stolen
Choot'em!