Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 23246 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
"Embedding" a Youtube video doesn't use any AR Bandwidth, it's still going to YouTubes servers to get the video. If they started allowing video uploads here, then it'd be a Bandwidth thing, but that is quite pointless.

So I guess it begs the question then, why is embedding disabled here?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
So I guess it begs the question then, why is embedding disabled here?

What's the point?  It really doesn't matter that much.  One reason I don't care if it's enabled or not is some people may not be allowed to see youtube at work and if the screen shot shows up and their boss sees it and thinks they are on youtube, they may very well get in trouble.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:55:31 PM by Onyx Dragon »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
What's the point?  It really doesn't matter that much.  One reason I don't care if it's enabled or not is some people may not be allowed to see youtube at work and if the screen shot shows up and their boss sees it and thinks they are on youtube, they may very well get in trouble.

Well the point was, as venom mentioned, not having the slightest clue what youtube video you're being linked to when people don't describe the video before linking it.

I think it would be nice to have, a lot of other forums I lurk have it enabled and it's kinda nice.

Would it be at all worth it to you to take a poll, maybe, or is your mind pretty much made up? That's an honest question, not trying to be a smart ass.

FrameScrape

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »
What's the point?  It really doesn't matter that much.  One reason I don't care if it's enabled or not is some people may not be allowed to see youtube at work and if the screen shot shows up and their boss sees it and thinks they are on youtube, they may very well get in trouble.

Couldn't this be prevented by allowing embedding, and then putting the video into a spoiler tag?
so you'd have to open the spoiler, then to see the embeded youtube video... then you'd just have to say there's a video inside the spoiler :)

Wookie

• Super Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
Couldn't this be prevented by allowing embedding, and then putting the video into a spoiler tag?
so you'd have to open the spoiler, then to see the embeded youtube video... then you'd just have to say there's a video inside the spoiler :)

This isn't a bad idea, and in theory would work well. Unfortunately, we're all human and I guarantee people would totally forget the spoiler tags, and probably pretty often.

FrameScrape

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »
This isn't a bad idea, and in theory would work well. Unfortunately, we're all human and I guarantee people would totally forget the spoiler tags, and probably pretty often.

hmm... yeah I'm sure they would.
Maybe we could suggest people who may get in trouble at work for browsing the interweb should work rather than browse the interweb?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
Even just a simple rule stating that youtube videos must at least be accompanied by a vaguely descriptive title, even if the title is kept in a spoiler tag so as to not ruin the surprise for people who like it that way...

Rocket 442

• Global Moderator
    • Staple Creative
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
Even just a simple rule stating that youtube videos must at least be accompanied by a vaguely descriptive title, even if the title is kept in a spoiler tag so as to not ruin the surprise for people who like it that way...
or we can keep it the way it is and not add another rule that users will complain about later on :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »

I think this idea would work, but is too complicated as is. We could just make a [youtube] tag like the spoiler tag, except inside the tag you would put the URL of the Youtube video to be embedded. Then it would just make a little 'Youtube' button that you would click on to show the embedded video.

Know what I'm sayin'?

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

FrameScrape

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »
I think this idea would work, but is too complicated as is. We could just make a [youtube] tag like the spoiler tag, except inside the tag you would put the URL of the Youtube video to be embedded. Then it would just make a little 'Youtube' button that you would click on to show the embedded video.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Yeah, I know what you're saying.  I didn't know such a youtube code existed.
that would make it a shit ton easier.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
Well, I'm guessing it doesn't exist at this point. Embedding is possible by using a special tag, so I think it would just need to be modified.

FrameScrape

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Well, I'm guessing it doesn't exist at this point. Embedding is possible by using a special tag, so I think it would just need to be modified.

Yeah, you'd have to combine the spoiler tag with an embedded tag.  I dont know the ins and outs of SMF, but I'd image its possible.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »

Look at how a lot of your fellow users bitch about the rules we have now, not to mention the ones that go rebel without a clue and break those rules for no other reason than they want to piss us off.

We also have other things we are more concerned with, such as the front page(s) that embedding isn't really even close to a priority when it comes to things.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »
Look at how a lot of your fellow users bitch about the rules we have now, not to mention the ones that go rebel without a clue and break those rules for no other reason than they want to piss us off.

We also have other things we are more concerned with, such as the front page(s) that embedding isn't really even close to a priority when it comes to things.

You should tailor this site to suit me Onyx, or I'll... I'll... dry hump you and spread the gospel in your anus! :lol:

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 07:23:09 PM »
I've been on an SMF site with the YouTube embedded deal. Honesty, it's annoying as fuck. Not to mention the extra load time for the topic to load, it's annoying to have to scroll past that shit.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
That's why my suggestion combines the spoiler tag with embedding.

AJ

• over-handed shit-knuckle
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »
When uploading pictures, an option to upload them straight from "My pictures" on your computer. As far as I know, the only way to upload pictures is to upload them to Photobucket and then attach them with IMG tags, which is a pain in the ass.
shit knockknockknock waaaaaaaa
872232hdfewbswn kwqopi13yehbd;

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
When uploading pictures, an option to upload them straight from "My pictures" on your computer. As far as I know, the only way to upload pictures is to upload them to Photobucket and then attach them with IMG tags, which is a pain in the ass.

My personal opinion: it's unnecessary bandwidth usage on AR's part. With the amount of free image hosts out there, there's no reason not to use them.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »
I like the youtube tags idea.

I like how people are getting so touchy over this :lol: If I can not call them 16as then they can remember to put a damn [youtube] tag in a post.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

AJ

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »
My personal opinion: it's unnecessary bandwidth usage on AR's part. With the amount of free image hosts out there, there's no reason not to use them.

I can give you a reason, I'm a lazy bastard  :lol:

Most sites I go on have them... it either says "attach image" or "Upload image from computer drive" and it's usually in an icon, just like where the tag icons are now.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »

I can give you a reason, I'm a lazy bastard  :lol:

Most sites I go on have them... it either says "attach image" or "Upload image from computer drive" and it's usually in an icon, just like where the tag icons are now.

Someone needs to click on "Additional Options" when you are replying or making a post.....

AJ

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
Ah... wow. I feel like a douche right about now :lol:

Thanks Onyx, I can now stop using Photobucket  ;D

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:45 AM »
Ah... wow. I feel like a douche right about now :lol:

Thanks Onyx, I can now stop using Photobucket  ;D

I don't think you can, look at the limits on it ;)

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
Yeah, the image hosting on the site is usually designated for small shit pertinent to the thread at hand, not a storage place. You can only have so much filled up, IIRC, before you end up over-writing shit.

Photobucket and ImageShack offer great ways to organize your albums, et cetera; it's just easier to use them.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
On the old board, when I got a new PM, the number of unread messages would appear in its box, like "My Messages (2)"

As far as I can tell, it doesn't do that anymore, and I don't want a pop-up when I get a new message. Can we add that?

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ