Author Topic: The alcohol thread  (Read 3882 times)

UberWasser

Re: The alcohol thread
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Hell, Sam Adams has their Octoberfest beer out now.  It's cheap and easy to find, and absolutely delightful. 

Furthermore, never drink directly from a bottle. :)

Nice pitch! Drinking some Octoberfest now. From a Samuel Adams glass (all BeerAdvocate magazine founding subscribers were gifted two of them by Jim Koch himself. I would never have bought one but I'm glad I have them, they are pretty sweet...)

Kwhit10

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 09:00:33 AM »
Nice pitch! Drinking some Octoberfest now. From a Samuel Adams glass (all BeerAdvocate magazine founding subscribers were gifted two of them by Jim Koch himself. I would never have bought one but I'm glad I have them, they are pretty sweet...)

Yea this is a great glass, I got one when I did the Sam Adams brewery tour.

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
No joke. I've never seen it. The only really good beer I see around here in mini kegs is Paulaner Hefeweizen. The rest is meh.

What... seriously... I want a mini keg of Hefeweizen!

DFD

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »

Find it on draft.... this beer is awesome.
Quote from: GooneyBird
I grabbed his hand, and with my thumb snapped his index finger back. It made a crack, and seemed to have a profound effect on his determination to kick my ass.

b00sted

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »
For beer I typically do regular Budweiser.  A lot of bars around here keep 312 on tap which is a micro-brew from Good Island I believe...Good stuff.

I prefer Whiskey and Rum.  That's what I started with when I went to my first bar at age 16.

Jack and Coke
Captain and Coke
Maker's Mark and Pepsi
Sailor Jerry and Dr. Pepper

And Admiral Nelson and Coke at a few certain bars that would do cheap specials with it.

I was also BIG into White Russians when I was 19.  This girl that tended a bar we frequented made them awesome and always gave us a killer deal.  Put down 8 or 10 pints of those and you sleep like a baby afterwards.

Mick

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
Having some Monster Khaos and vodka right now, good combo.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »

Find it on draft.... this beer is awesome.

Everything this brewery makes is incredible. They make a golden triple called "La Fin du Monde" that's got a slight citrus taste with a nice spice finish.  Unbelievably smooth, and smells great too. 

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
Jack and Vernors is about the only mixed drink I can stand. I got pretty damned drunk off those on my vacation last month. Other than that I just drink Bud Light, and if I'm doing shots, I just stick to Tequila.

Yea, I'm a very simple person.

DanDB64

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
Every time I go out, it's either Yuengling Lager in a bottle, or RedBull/Vodka (either Ciroc or Grey Goose)

I will rarely go away from that, unless someone is buying shots

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »
I wish Yuengling was as prominent down here as it is up north. Hell, some of the bottling is done here in FL. I do find it on tap at some restaurants though.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
I wish Yuengling was as prominent down here as it is up north. Hell, some of the bottling is done here in FL. I do find it on tap at some restaurants though.

I had a couple pints of it when I was in DC last month.  I didn't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of it. Wasn't anything special IMO.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 06:39:41 PM »
I really like it. Bottles are okay, but I prefer it on draft. I think it has a really smooth flavor with a bit of hops. Not a lot. It's a cheap beer. Not as cheap as the 4-pack of 16oz Miller High Life cans that I buy for $2.49, but inexpensive and tasty.

And it's America's oldest brewery.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

vette

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
If you like Sam Adams' summer Ale an excellent super cheap alternative is Bud Light golden Wheat.  I was shocked but they actually havea very similar taste.

Kwhit10

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:34 AM »
If you like Sam Adams' summer Ale an excellent super cheap alternative is Bud Light golden Wheat.  I was shocked but they actually havea very similar taste.

I don't agree.  I had a golden wheat one time and thought it was gross, nothing compared to Sam Summer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:44:39 AM by Kwhit10 »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:21 PM »
If you like Sam Adams' summer Ale an excellent super cheap alternative is Bud Light golden Wheat.  I was shocked but they actually havea very similar taste.

Similar in that it's a wheat-based beer, but no, it tastes nothing like Summer Ale.  Summer ale has much more flavor depth and aroma than Bud wheat.

DanDB64

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
I had a couple pints of it when I was in DC last month.  I didn't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of it. Wasn't anything special IMO.

I just like it a lot cuz it's cheap, and good.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »

Everything this brewery makes is incredible. They make a golden triple called "La Fin du Monde" that's got a slight citrus taste with a nice spice finish.  Unbelievably smooth, and smells great too. 
I also love their maudite

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
Anyone had New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale? Their Fat Tire ale is OK, but this 1554 is quickly becoming one of my favorite darker beers.

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »
One of my all time favs:

Anyone passing through the middle,TN area MUST try it. Very yummy, very drinkable.

camaro_man

• Instafucked
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »
Almost everything by New Belgium is delicious. For liquor, i keep it simple. Good rum of any kind and Evan Williams and Jameson for whiskey.
The Original.
camaro_man
Est. 2002

All war is deception.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
I have gone back to drinking Yuengling Black and Tan for now.
I also have kicked up on my Bloody Mary consumption. Mmmm
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

Mick

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
I came to possess a bottle of Old Crow, it says on the bottle "Aged 6 Years" But I know for a fact the previous owner had it for at least 10 years. Think its safe to drink? me and a friend had 2 shots each of it a couple of nights ago and are still alive. About to finish the vodka I have and will start on the old crow next.

Kwhit10

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
I came to possess a bottle of Old Crow, it says on the bottle "Aged 6 Years" But I know for a fact the previous owner had it for at least 10 years. Think its safe to drink? me and a friend had 2 shots each of it a couple of nights ago and are still alive. About to finish the vodka I have and will start on the old crow next.

Why wouldn't it be safe to drink?

camaro_man

• Instafucked
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
As far as i know, bourbon whiskey can be aged for many years and usually gets smoother as time goes on. A lot of higher proofed whiskeys taste smoother after being aged longer than standard 80 proof stuff.

Edit:

Come to think of it, regular Jameson Irish Whiskey is aged 7 years. Jameson Special Reserve is aged to 12 years and Limited Reserve is aged to 18 years.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:32:09 PM by camaro_man »
The Original.
camaro_man
Est. 2002

All war is deception.

UberWasser

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 02:12:27 AM »

I've had beer that old, and it tasted great. Alcohol saves pretty well. There are bottles of high proof, high end alcohol out there that can be 50, 100, 150, 200 years old and people will pay big bucks to buy it.