Author Topic: The alcohol thread  (Read 4036 times)

Sharp

The alcohol thread
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:09:58 AM »
PLEASE NOTE!
THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DRUNKEN RAMBLINGS!
[/color]

Go to a bar and have something good? Find a nice bottle of wine in wal-mart? Try something new? Mix your own drinks? Have a great beer? Post it up.

I'm new to booze. So far I've had a spiked lemonade from bdubs, a fuzzy navel or something from a local bar, and some Mike's hard lemonade. So far, for price/taste, Mikes is the best. I don't like the harsh taste of alcohol. (I also tried some wine... way too strong)

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
Re: The alcohol thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:37:25 AM »
I can't stand beer or liquor... The best thing I've ever had are margaritas. Frozen, on the rocks, whatever... It's good and gets me nicely buzzed. Sam's sells a tub of margarita mix that tastes great, easy to mix with tequila and freeze overnight, and is really cheap.

When I'm in the mood for something quick I like a 1/4 mixture of plain vodka and orange juice to make a simple screwdriver drink... The oj hides much of the taste and the vodka hits quickly.

I'm definitely not one for searching out different drinks like Arrogant Bastard or whatever in search of the best taste.. to me they all are pretty nasty  :lol:

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 06:32:22 AM »
I like Most of the Ommegang beers. They are locally brewed where I grew up.
Also as I have aged (and gotten more of a cash flow), I tend to drink better and more filtered vodkas.
Svedka, Sky and at the lowest tier, Absolute. Jeepi, ya may want to look at these. Because they are filtered more there isn't that OMG VODKA taste..it is much smoother.
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

NVmySSmaro

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
I won't drink beer at all, but I do ok with my liquor now and again. Try a Captain Morgan spiced rum with Dr Pepper, Or RedStag (Jim Bean) It's Cherry flavored, with a little Dr Pepper or Cherry Dr Pepper, that is indeed a tasty drink. I've gone away from Vodka, but a little Vodka, (Grey Goose/Vox) with OJ and a splash of Sprite will get ya going.

As far as wine, I'm not a fan of wine at all either, but do enjoy a few different dessert wines now and again. Thomasello makes a good dessert wine, it's low on alcohol, and the headache from it sucks balls if you drink too much (like two bottles) but its tasty if you don't like the alcohol taste.

Kwhit10

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
I can't stand beer or liquor... The best thing I've ever had are margaritas. Frozen, on the rocks, whatever... It's good and gets me nicely buzzed. Sam's sells a tub of margarita mix that tastes great, easy to mix with tequila and freeze overnight, and is really cheap.

When I'm in the mood for something quick I like a 1/4 mixture of plain vodka and orange juice to make a simple screwdriver drink... The oj hides much of the taste and the vodka hits quickly.

I'm definitely not one for searching out different drinks like Arrogant Bastard or whatever in search of the best taste.. to me they all are pretty nasty  :lol:

A cheap way to improve your lower level vodka's (smirnoff etc), is to just run it through a brita filter like 3 times.

If you need something to get you going I love redbull+crown royal.  They go perfectly together.

Other liquor drinks I like are vodka (grey goose or ketel one) or Gin (tanqueray) and tonic with limes.  Very refreshing.

For beer I'm pretty open to drinking almost everything.   

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

SB.ED6

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:03 AM »
I usually drink Stella Artois beer (my favorite).

I'll drink pretty much anything, Mike's Hard Lemonade, Vodka, Jägermeister, Absinthe, etc.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel

- Jimi Hendrix

66Chevelle

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
went to a bar with some friends for my b-day and the bartender gave me a shot of 151+Amaretto that she lit up.. tasted like a butterscotch candy or something. I don't know if theres a name but it was pretty tasty, and I'm not a big fan of 151

dial 9-1-7-1-6-0-4-9-3-11

NVmySSmaro

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »
oof, I have bad memories involving 151 and shots. Ralph was my best friend that night and most of the next day.

66Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
yea same here, but thats only when I got careless with it.. this was just a shot but the glass was a little larger than a normal shot glass.. can't complain, it was free.   I googled it and found something called a Flaming Dr Pepper, but it calls for the shot to be ignited then put into a glass of beer and chugged but I didn't have mine that way.

dial 9-1-7-1-6-0-4-9-3-11

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
The key to drinking is quality.
Quality doesnt have to mean expensive tho.
Look on review websites... they usually have pretty good tips.
Dude... toss the margarita buckets and actually mix them... TOTAL jump to the good side in flavor.
Try this... http://www.ozols.com/margarit.htm

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Mick

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
I usually drink Stella Artois beer (my favorite).

I'll drink pretty much anything, Mike's Hard Lemonade, Vodka, Jägermeister, Absinthe, etc.

Jagermeister taste like cough syrup and absinthe tastes like black liquorice. Neither one do I find appealing in the taste department.

I drink quite a few different things though, Beers, Arrogant bastard ale, Killians Irish red. Miller products, A few different Sam Adams. Liquor, Captain Morgan 100pf, Southern Comfort 100pf, Wild turkey rare breed and 101, Vodka's I usually go for the Sky, Pinnacle, Seagrams Extra Smooth, and Grey Goose on the occasion  I feel like spending a couple extra bucks.

UberWasser

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »
When it comes to Margiaritas, in a pinch and when money is tight, a pretty good setup is --- Trader Joe's Margarita Mix (actual lime and lemon juice, real sugar, etc) way better than the usual mix, with decent tequilla and Patron orange liquor. Comes out tasty without the big bucks dropped on Grand Marnier etc. It's basically 2 parts mix, 1 part tequilla, 1 part liquor, with a splash of lime and salt optional. Blended or over ice.

The only other mixed drink I'm terribly fond of are Bloody Mary's, with lots of hot sauce. Everything else is a bit too sweet.

Beyond that, it's mostly craft beer for me, with some bourbon or scotch from time to time.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:10 AM »
This is good stuff guys.. I'll definitely try out the margarita recipe that Jim posted, looks pretty good  :yup:

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »
One thing I do, which I've never heard of anyone else doing, is just simply Jager and OJ.  Tastes fantastic.

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

SB.ED6

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 12:05:37 AM »
One thing I do, which I've never heard of anyone else doing, is just simply Jager and OJ.  Tastes fantastic.

I'll have to try it sometime.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel

- Jimi Hendrix

UberWasser

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:06 AM »
Anyone else like Bourbon? I enjoyed seeing the steps in the process...

This was Woodford Reserve in particular. Pretty tasty stuff.

Mick

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
Anyone else like Bourbon? I enjoyed seeing the steps in the process...

"Thats alotta boooze"! Do want.

UberWasser

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
"Thats alotta boooze"! Do want.

No kidding it's a lot! Those fermentation tanks are BIG

As is the building full of barrels...

Raven

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »
For the Vodka haters:

My bf hates vodka also, and I got him a bottle of sweet tea vodka to try. He mixes it with lemonade (and maybe a dash of sprite) and it's his favorite summer drink now.

For alcohol, I love Auchentoshan Three Wood.  It's a good sippable single malt scotch.

For mixed: Rum and cherry coke

Beer: I keep a mini keg of Newcastle in my fridge.  Worlds better than bottles.  Then whatever craft beers I buy from the liquor store underneath me.

UberWasser

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
Where the hell does one get a Newcastle mini keg? That would be amazing to keep around.

Raven

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »
All over Chicago.  I've seen the little draughtkegs at liquor stores and grocery stores.  It's a nice all the time beer to have on hand...all the time.

UberWasser

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »
No joke. I've never seen it. The only really good beer I see around here in mini kegs is Paulaner Hefeweizen. The rest is meh.

FrameScrape

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
Some of my personal favorites....
I've never been a huge beer fan.  I've always enjoyed doing shots and having mixed drinks (jack and coke or coconut rum and coke)

Duck fart - A layered drink made of Kahlua, Bailey's Irish cream and Crown Royal ( in that order, and ideally with just a float of Crown ).

Mind Eraser - Very easy and enjoyable cocktail to make:
    * 2 Oz Vodka
    * 2 Oz Kahlua
    * 2 Oz Tonic Water
Pour into a rocks glass and serve with a straw.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »
For those looking to venture out into the beer world:
http://beeradvocate.com/

It's a great way to find good beer shops in the area, too.  I personally used to hate the taste of beer.  The day I turned 21 I did a little research on BA and found a local liquor store that happens to have the best beer cave in the state.  I made two mix-packs of various brews, and drank nearly all of them that day. :lol: 

Now I'm constantly amazed by how complex and diverse the beer world is.  So many different styles with different tastes, textures, and smells.  Don't say that you don't like the taste of beer if all you've had is cheap American macro brews.  Hell, Sam Adams has their Octoberfest beer out now.  It's cheap and easy to find, and absolutely delightful. 

Furthermore, never drink directly from a bottle. :)