Author Topic: [PS3 Game] - Gran Turismo 5  (Read 6792 times)

speedy_2

[PS3 Game] - Gran Turismo 5
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
I haven't had this game long, but I still think I've got a pretty good sense of everything.  I've also been playing the GT series since the first GT was only a demo.

I'm gonna start out with a Pro/Con list...

PROS
  • Car Modeling is superb on premium cars
  • Physics are really good when driving.  A lot better than GT4 was.
  • SKID MARKS!!!
  • Day/night changes
  • Rain
  • 1000 Cars
  • Plenty of tracks and they look outstanding

CONS
  • Standard cars are a let down. Still good, but a let down when we've been seeing only Premium screen shots for years. And, 800 of the 1000 cars are Standard
  • Standard cars can't be fitted with aftermarket wheels or custom paint
  • There is a paint shop, but you have to obtain paint "chips" to paint your car.  You loose that chip once you use it.  Along with this...THERE IS NO PALETTE!
  • Car modifications are lacking, especially for a "car" person.  The level of detail when modding just isn't what I'd like or expect.
  • The Damage.  Not good. Damage gets better with a higher level, but is still in no way accurate.  Although, barely any game has realistic damage anyway. 
  • 1000 Cars. A lot of which are so close to each other they might as well just have 1 and throw out the rest. Mostly Japanese stuff.  You'll understand if you've played other versions of GT.
  • Some car physics seem good, while others are just insane.  The Top Gear test track challenge with the Lotus Elise is a good example.  It's like your driving with the E-brake on.
  • Loading times can get annoying, especially if you haven't done the install onto your hard drive.

As you can see the important "CAR" stuff just isn't in this game.  Modifying would be a big one.  This game would've been an amazing Arcade style game with just Arcade mode and the 200 or so premium cars.  Otherwise, I just feel like I'm playing a prettier version of GT4.  Add to that the long delay and it's pretty much unacceptable. I really don't know what they were doing this whole time, while Forza pumped out 2 versions.   I'm still going to play this game, and enjoy as much as possible. But for me, I just feel let down after being a fan for so many years. 

7/10

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
Re: [PS3 Game] - Gran Turismo 5
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
Wow.  I had high hopes for this after having GT4.  This was going to be system seller for me if it was good.  Sad to say I'm just not impressed enough to run out and buy one...

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
Agreed. I might have to (finally :lol:) get a copy of Forza 3 instead.
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »
I am dissapointed, but thanks for this review as I do not have to go waste my money on a PS3 anytime soon.  F3 owns anyways.
I don't own any cars, or bikes, nor have a job, or legs.

Mick

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the review, in newer car games being able to mod the car is one of the big selling factors for me, there is no reason that couldn't incorporate that. Forza 3 load times are a bit to long as well.

I have been thinking about picking up a ps3 for this game a couple others, but hearing how this game is the greatest makes me not mind putting it off till they have more titles i will actually want.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:49:54 PM »
As I pointed out in the GT5 thread in the videogames forum, damage is not based on level. Sony has explained that damage is based on the CAR, not your current progress level.

The cars you'll be driving at lower levels simply have less damage modeling where the cars with better damage are the ones you'll be buying at higher levels.

For example, if you have a Civic now at level 5 and all you see are dents and scratches, and when you reach level 40 and see your Ferrari completely demolished, you could take your Civic back out from the garage and it would still only get dents and scrapes, even though you're at level 40.

454ss

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
As I pointed out in the GT5 thread in the videogames forum, damage is not based on level. Sony has explained that damage is based on the CAR, not your current progress level.

The cars you'll be driving at lower levels simply have less damage modeling where the cars with better damage are the ones you'll be buying at higher levels.

For example, if you have a Civic now at level 5 and all you see are dents and scratches, and when you reach level 40 and see your Ferrari completely demolished, you could take your Civic back out from the garage and it would still only get dents and scrapes, even though you're at level 40.

ok, so that's even worse than waiting until level 40 for damage.  and again, that's just cosmetic damage.  I'm not only going off your review, but between this and all the others I've seen lately, Its really good, but nothing I'm going to go buy a PS3 just to play.  Forza 1, 2 and 3 have all come out since GT4, so I'm ok with my decision to go with an Xbox.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:13:47 PM by 454ss »

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
It seems Gran Turismo is comforming to the old pattern of the awesome releases being even numbered and good-but-not-great releases being odd numbered  :lol:

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »
I can see the pattern...

GT1 came out, and it was more experimental and breaking new ground, while GT2 took that same formula, added more tracks, cars and modification possibilities.

Same thing with GT3 and GT4. Sony put out GT3, and it was testing out the potential of the system, then GT4 squeezed everything possible from the PS2. :lol:

Stupid though, there was insane hype for this game.

GT6 anyone? :lol:
-Chris-

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
Shit, I wanna see what Forza 4 will be like.  Seems like every one that has come out has been a major improvment.  I want it to have a Career mode that is more involving.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
I think the problem was that Polyphony never really claimed Gran Turismo 5 to be new or ground breaking. They released images, videos, and information, and WE all built it up in our heads "This is going to be the greatest racing game ever made".

When it came out, everyone learned... Hey, it's just more Gran Turismo. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's a let down because people expected to be blown away.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Well the commercial I see come on everyday for PS3, the guy says it's the greatest racing game ever. ::)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
After reading all these reviews, I've been playing Forza 3 and haven't even taken my GT5 game out of the bag since I came home to it.  I'm afraid to play it now :(

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
GT5 was supposed to be the reason for me getting a PS3. Doesn't look too promising anymore. :(

I'm still intrigued to play GT5 however.
-Chris-

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
I might buy it when its a greatest hit.

Definitely not a $60 game to me.

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

speedy_2

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »

Hmm Ok.  Well I have a 2010 Camaro.  I've slammed it in the wall at over 150mph and the damage is minimal.  The most I've had is one side of the bumper hang down a little bit.  That's quite sad.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
What counts as a premium car on this game?  And what is the extent of customization / modding for these cars?

speedy_2

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »
What counts as a premium car on this game?  And what is the extent of customization / modding for these cars?

The Premium cars get the same performance mods as the standard cars.  But, they are able to get custom wheels and custom painted wheels.  I'm not sure about the paint and whether both or just premium cars can be painted. 

MadFairlane

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:49:28 AM »
Its a decent game, and gameplay wise, visually etc I reckon its on par with F3.

Same way as everyone says they won't be getting a PS3 because of it, F3 isn't going to make me buy an Xbox...

Each to their own.

I like it.
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

454ss

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
But I dont think Forza was ever set up as a system seller, and it sure wasn't billed as the greatest racing game ever.  I think its likely that despite its faults, GT5 may be better than Forza 3, but being a little better is not acceptable given the circumstances.  This game was supposed to blow people's fucking minds, and it didn't.  Very good isn't good enough when you build your product up like this.

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
I've heard Forza is aimed more to be a game that's fun and welcoming to play.  Where as GT is aimed at those enjoy telemetry and tuning as much as possible...

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

s-10 maniac

• Instigator of Thought.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »
I'm lvl 20 so far, beginner through expert all gold medals.  Game is very similar to GT4, but I still like it.

I just wish there were more premium cars available for purchase.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24:52 PM »
Its a decent game, and gameplay wise, visually etc I reckon its on par with F3.

Same way as everyone says they won't be getting a PS3 because of it, F3 isn't going to make me buy an Xbox...

Each to their own.

I like it.

I actually bought mine for F3 and so did most of my friends lol.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »
I actually bought mine for F3 and so did most of my friends lol.

Forza is ok, but not something I'd have gotten an Xbox for.  There are WTF moments with it too.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
Yea I actually moved my difficulty up to hard and notice whenever I tailed an opponent ahead of me for too long, they would just take a tun without ever hitting the brakes?  I never noticed this happening unless I was trying to follow them for the best line/draft.