Author Topic: Boot up issues  (Read 1555 times)

Takon

Boot up issues
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
My computer has been.. wonky... for some time now. If I leave it running it works just fine, I used to be ableto have it hibernate and it would resume no problem. Now if I do that it refuses to wake up properly. Any time it is powered off for an extended period of time it will bluescreen while loading the OS. It wil ldo this once or twice, generating different errors each time, then it will boot fine without me making any changes.

Got any ideas? I'm thinking bad HDD.

angelis83lt

Re: Boot up issues
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:07:37 PM »
without knowing the errors it generates, ya can't be positive on what is causing it. Could be a memory issue coming out of hibernation. 

Takon

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
ITs not just hibernation, its cold boots too.

angelis83lt

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
Have you run a test on your memory?  (memtest86+)

Always a good starting point with these computers.
You could do a HDD Diagnostic as well. (Ultimate Boot CD).That will test you if the HDD is wonky.

If it is not the memory or HDD, it could be something with windows.  Generally if a HDD is going bad, you will have other issues besides BSOD.  If there is corruption due to the HDD failing, the HDD tests will show that.

I would do those two tests first though before you decide it is a bad drive.

Takon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
Putting in 4x wd 640 black hdds in raid ten seems to have fixed the performance issues, also manually setting the RAM speed has helped too.  It still won't go to sleep as programmed though.

angelis83lt

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
There has always been issues with the sleep / hibernate options in windows I think. I never let mine go into either one. I just let it keep chuggin along. only issues I have had lately are with flash / and browsers.  System probably needs it's yearly format / reload..

Takon

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
Apparently the mouse i bought causes that issue, cause when i first installed windows it went to sleep as programmed. Now the question is do I feel like RMA'ing the mouse?