Author Topic: A-R's resident ricers.  (Read 61126 times)

The Beef

• I had a permanent, constipated grimace on my face
Re: A-R's resident ricers.
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2010, 04:38:37 PM »
I don't think a person on this site thinks a painted carbon fiber hood is rice.

I recall a while back someone on here bitching about how painting a CF hood would be rice because the paint would be extra weight.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »
I recall a while back someone on here bitching about how painting a CF hood would be rice because the paint would be extra weight.

That's such a small amount of weight as to be unnoticeable.  I bet a lugnut weighs more than the paint used.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2010, 04:44:20 PM »
So by your definition my tube fenders and armor are rice because they are a different color than my Jeep, and they are "unpainted". I'm not setting a trap, I was just using my buddy's car as an example, and trying to figure out at which point one crosses the line between pleasing aesthetic and rice.

And for the record, if you would have read on of my first posts in this thread I praised you for being the only admin not following all this play nice bullshit and still calling out the closet ricers. So I'm far from trying to be a rebel or I would have argued with Nick at the onset of the thread.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

DanDB64

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
If they do, there is something wrong with them.  IIRC, doesn't the ZR1 have carbon fiber for most of it's body?

Yes sir, I believe you are correct

slo svo

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
If they do, there is something wrong with them.  IIRC, doesn't the ZR1 have carbon fiber for most of it's body?

The ZR1 has numerous CF body parts, and most of them are unpainted.
LS1 Camaro Z28: TC76 turbo/T56/MWC 9"
FC Mazda RX7: LSX/T56
E34 525i: S50/Precision 6266
E39 540i/6 Sport

01GPGT

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
That's such a small amount of weight as to be unnoticeable.  I bet a lugnut weighs more than the paint used.

actualy the paint on a ZR1 fender wieghs more then the fender it self

the fender on a ZR1 is carbon fiber
2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT ram Air: Knock mod : 1 cylinder delete : rock salt wieght reduction

WARNING I CAN'T SPELL!!! nor will i try to correct it

TheBlackShed

• Bunny in Bag
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
carbon fiber hood on a stock honda/cavalier/slow car is rice to me. Now CF on something like the ZR1 provides a little more function over "Hey look at my mad tyte carbon fiabor!"

grant it, it IS all opinion, but my opinion is also based on the attitude of said car owner. SOrry to bring up Hondas...agian...but putting a B16/18 in a Hatch all depends on the attitude of the owner. If the person is a dumbass and thinks its the fastest thing in the world, ima call him a ricer. Same with a SR20 in a 240z, yes you CAN make them fast, but the majority arnt. Same as the guy with his Fox Body or Camaro LT1 thinking 13's are the fastest thing in the world.

Basically to me, looks do have a huge say in what i think is rice...but it also comes down a little bit to the owner.
Choot'em!

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »
...but it also comes down a little bit to the owner.

This x98239084759437536730496
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »
I'll bring up my friend Stu again. He hit a deer in his Civic and found that he could get a carbon fiber replacement hood cheaper than a stock hood.

So, it's cheaper and lighter, yet looks exactly the same aside from the carbon fiber pattern.

Not rice, in that case.

BUT, I said "Yeah, all you gotta do is spray some black on it and no one would ever even know the difference."

He replies "What's the point of carbon fiber if you paint over it?"

That's when it became rice. For the record, he did paint it when his friends at his school said the same thing I said.

Johnny Butt

• Ask me about my will to survive.
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
OH YAY A RICE DEFINITION THREAD!

Weaver; Onyx, nor anyone else has ever jumped on my dick about my car.  Farmtruk used to hate it because he was ignorant and really didn't like imports, but aside him I was complemented on it if nothing else.  Onyx and I have been in quite a few tiffs and he's never even brought it up.

I like to think that part of the reason is although it is lowered and has non-OE (although mad tyte JDM Honda) wheels, it doesn't even look that far off stock.  The headlights are JDM OE, the tails are OE, hell I even took off the OE spoiler.  Any modification done to the car had one of three puposes.  It either made it go faster, stop better, or handle better.  The CF hood not only reduced weight, but helped split up the paint on the car.  I didn't have it unpainted for the whole OMG LOOK AT MY CF idea.  I left it unpainted (and actually re-cleared it) because it looked nice.  It fit nice, it was OE-style, and to me spending money on something that would make the car WORSE (i.e. a stock steel hood) is backwards.  Yes, I probably could have painted it, but I didn't hate the way it looked so I left it.  I'm no body guy, and I'd hate to ruin a 600 dollar hood.

I will agree that there is probably rice on the car.  However I don't think I am a "closet ricer"  I drive it because of how it drives, not what it looks like.  If it handled the same on stock suspension, it would have been left stock.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:31:30 PM by Johnny Butt »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »

Weaver; Onyx, nor anyone else has ever jumped on my dick about my car.  Farmtruk used to hate it because he was ignorant and really didn't like imports, but aside him I was complemented on it if nothing else.  Onyx and I have been in quite a few tiffs and he's never even brought it up.

I like to think that part of the reason is although it is lowered and has non-OE (although mad tyte JDM Honda) wheels, it doesn't even look that far off stock.  The headlights are JDM OE, the tails are OE, hell I even took off the OE spoiler.  Any modification done to the car had one of three puposes.  It either made it go faster, stop better, or handle better.  The CF hood not only reduced weight, but helped split up the paint on the car.  I didn't have it unpainted for the whole OMG LOOK AT MY CF idea.  I left it unpainted (and actually re-cleared it) because it looked nice.  It fit nice, it was OE-style, and to me spending money on something that would make the car WORSE (i.e. a stock steel hood) is backwards.  Yes, I probably could have painted it, but I didn't hate the way it looked so I left it.  I'm no body guy, and I'd hate to ruin a 600 dollar hood.

I will agree that there is probably rice on the car.  However I don't think I am a "closet ricer"  I drive it because of how it drives, not what it looks like.  If it handled the same on stock suspension, it would have been left stock. 

Your car is the prime example of a car that should be on the front page of this site - NOT as what we're against, but what we're for.

Tasteful, performance oriented and definitely not poseur-ish.

Johnny Butt

• Ask me about my will to survive.
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
Your car is the prime example of a car that should be on the front page of this site - NOT as what we're against, but what we're for.

Tasteful, performance oriented and definitely not poseur-ish.

Why thank you.  I do the best I can to NOT make it stand out.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
Why thank you.  I do the best I can to NOT make it stand out.

What vehicle do you drive?  Is there a member rides for it?
I don't own any cars, or bikes, nor have a job, or legs.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
This is why one has to be specific with you.  You like to try and set little traps.

Anything left unpainted is rice.  I don't care if it's fiberglass, CF, or bare metal.

paint adds weight, and negates weight saving from purchase.

Onyx, I'm pretty sure that Hood/CAI didn't give you enough HP/TQ to be worth it.  It's an attention grabber, a 'look at me item'.  It's rice.

Also:  NastyV6
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
The ZR1 has numerous CF body parts, and most of them are unpainted.

....every ZR1 I've ever seen has been painted.  Red for Jeremy Clarkson's, blue for the one that was used in their ZR1 versus the R8 showdown...I've seen one on the road that was red and had no unpainted carbon fiber.

actualy the paint on a ZR1 fender wieghs more then the fender it self

the fender on a ZR1 is carbon fiber

I'd like to see some proof on that.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 09:17:43 PM »
What vehicle do you drive?  Is there a member rides for it?

OSHIT I just saw your sig are you the dude with the badass old school Civic on Gear-Heads?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »

Weaver; Onyx, nor anyone else has ever jumped on my dick about my car.  Farmtruk used to hate it because he was ignorant and really didn't like imports, but aside him I was complemented on it if nothing else.  Onyx and I have been in quite a few tiffs and he's never even brought it up.

I like to think that part of the reason is although it is lowered and has non-OE (although mad tyte JDM Honda) wheels, it doesn't even look that far off stock.  The headlights are JDM OE, the tails are OE, hell I even took off the OE spoiler.  Any modification done to the car had one of three puposes.  It either made it go faster, stop better, or handle better.  The CF hood not only reduced weight, but helped split up the paint on the car.  I didn't have it unpainted for the whole OMG LOOK AT MY CF idea.  I left it unpainted (and actually re-cleared it) because it looked nice.  It fit nice, it was OE-style, and to me spending money on something that would make the car WORSE (i.e. a stock steel hood) is backwards.  Yes, I probably could have painted it, but I didn't hate the way it looked so I left it.  I'm no body guy, and I'd hate to ruin a 600 dollar hood.

I will agree that there is probably rice on the car.  However I don't think I am a "closet ricer"  I drive it because of how it drives, not what it looks like.  If it handled the same on stock suspension, it would have been left stock.  

I don't think I even know what kind of car you drive, as your name isn't the same as one from before the current incarnation so I don't know who you are.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
OSHIT I just saw your sig are you the dude with the badass old school Civic on Gear-Heads?

No.  For ref -

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »
I don't think I even know what kind of car you drive, as your name isn't the same as one from before the current incarnation so I don't know who you are.

Old name is in his sig: It's Acclude.

Oh, and how much do you think paint actually weighs? You could paint a whole car in.. what, 3 quarts? 4? Plus primer and clear.. how much do you think that weighs, total?

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

Oh, and how much do you think paint actually weighs? You could paint a whole car in.. what, 3 quarts? 4? Plus primer and clear.. how much do you think that weighs, total?

Every bit helps.. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning.

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
+1 F&F ref.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »
So by your definition my tube fenders and armor are rice because they are a different color than my Jeep, and they are "unpainted". I'm not setting a trap, I was just using my buddy's car as an example, and trying to figure out at which point one crosses the line between pleasing aesthetic and rice.

And for the record, if you would have read on of my first posts in this thread I praised you for being the only admin not following all this play nice bullshit and still calling out the closet ricers. So I'm far from trying to be a rebel or I would have argued with Nick at the onset of the thread.

I think, and this is opinion because those tube fenders have a reason, that it looks like ass.  However, I can also understand not painting something that's going to have to be repainted each time you go to the trail.  What I don't get are the people who paint shit like their armor or their diff covers.  Just rattle can it black and be done, no need for pink, red, purple, etc.  It's just going to scrape right off...unless it's just a dirt trail.

paint adds weight, and negates weight saving from purchase.

Onyx, I'm pretty sure that Hood/CAI didn't give you enough HP/TQ to be worth it.  It's an attention grabber, a 'look at me item'.  It's rice.

Also:  NastyV6

Too bad you're wrong.  Because had you known the plans for that car (including the supercharger that I had purchased and sitting int he garage to go on it), you'd realize that those were not only supporting, but necessary things.  Cooler air temp, more air in, etc.  At no point have we ever said anything about "It has to gain a certain HP amount" or else just about every intake out there would be rice.  Please tell me you have something better than that in your brain.  Otherwise please wait in another room while the grown ups talk.

And you know what, just so people like you will shut up, I'll give you the NastyV6 plate thing and then say that's the only thing.  Even though a license plate is not a...wait for it...modification!  Care to keep trying to press a point you don't have?

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
No.  For ref -
[IMGhttp://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/matthewcollins601/zr1.jpg[/img]

Oh ok.. Cool Civic anyway  :yup:

+1 F&F ref.

lol thanks

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »

In that case I don't remember what his car looks like :lol:

Every bit helps.. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning.

Someone needs to tell this to all the racing teams out there.

BTW, on a side note about paint.  I heard NASA no longer paints that massive center fuel tank for the shuttle's boosters because of the amount of paint it takes and the cost.  I had seen some number on the weight of that paint and it was staggering, but in comparison to the weight of the booster it was nothing :lol:

Mississippi Guy

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
Oh ok.. Cool Civic anyway  :yup:

lol thanks

Yea just got it today.  Check out the MM if you havn't allready.